Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Halal street food?

Halal street food?

Old Feb 3, 2017, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I'm staying in the Clarke Quay area of Singapore next week. Does anyone's know I feel I can find food like this here?
Old Feb 3, 2017, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Might have changed since I was a kid but the arabic culinary influence on food in Singapore was only in name. I (as do/did Singaporeans of all classes) ate hawker/street food and I never came across food as described (not that Singaporeans wouldn't be partial to it it just didn't exist). Halal food is more likely to be Malay and Muslim Indian.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Might have changed since I was a kid but the arabic culinary influence on food in Singapore was only in name. I (as do/did Singaporeans of all classes) ate hawker/street food and I never came across food as described (not that Singaporeans wouldn't be partial to it it just didn't exist). Halal food is more likely to be Malay and Muslim Indian.
That's helpful, thanks.

Looks like I'll be schleppin' it over to Indian Village
Old Feb 5, 2017, 3:47 am

Programs: KF Gold|VA Gold|HH Diamond|Kimpton IC|Hyatt Gold
Maybe try Hong Lim Centre, very short walk from Clark Quay. I'd be surprised if you couldn't find something like that in the hawker centres in Singapore.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oh_lol
Maybe try Hong Lim Centre, very short walk from Clark Quay. I'd be surprised if you couldn't find something like that in the hawker centres in Singapore.
Thanks. Are "hawker centers" areas of street food vendors?
Old Feb 5, 2017, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Yes. In the days of old, they would push their carts and set up in parking lots in the evenings. People would go and order food from each vendor and eat at common tables. The government sanitized the whole thing decades ago so they were moved to fixed centers with running water, etc. so they're more like food courts these days.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And I feel like I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Taïm, whose truck is usually on like Bway and 19 or so at lunchtime, and which has a restaurant in the Village. Best felafel I've ever had.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Originally Posted by chgoeditor
1. Never had a desire to try it.
2. Long lines.
3. Smell is off putting.

You're in New York, surrounded by great restaurants serving almost every type of cuisine that exists. Unless you have an adventurous palette by nature, I'm puzzled as to why you'd even considering it.
I love Halal carts, love them. There is something to eating it. You can appreciate the small things.

One of my fav to eat (not a cart, but still) Curry in a Hurry. The whole atmosphere is worth it.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 7:49 am

Programs: OMNI Platinum
Last Sunday after walking around the city I gave in and went to Halal Guys. Its still better than most of the carts in the city, but there are better ones, if you know where to look.

I got the mix with pita, no rice or salad.
Attached Images  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.