Search

Do you drink Folger's Coffee?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2016, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Jumbo mas
Do you drink Folger's Coffee?

I see these commercials. Maybe I've been missing out on the "best part of waking up" most of my life. I don't know if I've ever bought Folger's coffee. I don't know anyone who drinks Folger's coffee. (Rather, I don't know anyone who I know drinks Folger's coffee.)

If Mrs. Olsen came to "save the day" from the pretty little housewife's tragic attempt at coffee, today's guests would probably spit it out and vow to immediately terminate the friendship.

The thread's question also applies to Yuban, Hills Bros, and anything else that comes in a pre-ground Safeway shelf can. I suppose millions still drink the swill, or maybe it will be the only coffee left after the apocalypse (in which case, we will be looting, not buying, the cans).
Old Sep 6, 2016, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I see these commercials. Maybe I've been missing out on the "best part of waking up" most of my life. I don't know if I've ever bought Folger's coffee. I don't know anyone who drinks Folger's coffee. (Rather, I don't know anyone who I know drinks Folger's coffee.)

If Mrs. Olsen came to "save the day" from the pretty little housewife's tragic attempt at coffee, today's guests would probably spit it out and vow to immediately terminate the friendship.

The thread's question also applies to Yuban, Hills Bros, and anything else that comes in a pre-ground Safeway shelf can. I suppose millions still drink the swill, or maybe it will be the only coffee left after the apocalypse (in which case, we will be looting, not buying, the cans).
Not everyone I know is a coffee gourmet. My daughter and her husband use a refillable k-cup and fill it with Maxwell House. I bring a bag of something I like better when I visit. They always drink what I bring but the next time I visit, there's a big Maxwell House can on the shelf. I think it's really a budgetary issue, more than anything else.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 11:09 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Sure. It's the best part of waking up !
Old Sep 6, 2016, 11:50 am

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Every so often, for convenience, I'll have a cup of instant Nescafe that I think is from Mexico. It's not bad.

It's obviously not as good as the locally roasted beans I grind daily, but for me, instant serves a purpose.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
My mom and aunt drink Folgers. They did drink more expensive coffees (grind your own beans, etc) for a long time, but realized they couldn't really tell the difference, especially not for the price, so switched back to Folgers.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 12:02 pm

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Folgers - no. But after enjoying several cups of coffee at my brother's house, I asked what it was and was surprised to find out it was Hill's Bros - I've been buying it ever since. I'm a snob about alot of things, but coffee isn't one of them, especially in the morning when my taste buds aren't awake yet
Old Sep 6, 2016, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by work2fly
Every so often, for convenience, I'll have a cup of instant Nescafe that I think is from Mexico. It's not bad.

It's obviously not as good as the locally roasted beans I grind daily, but for me, instant serves a purpose.
The instant Nescafé I've had in Latin America has been better than what I grew up drinking.

As for everyday brew, I buy 3 pound bags of San Francisco Bay whole bean coffee at Costco. It is about $16, and very good. When decent beans are available at this price, there's no reason to "cut corners" any further. (On the other hand, one day I will probably inherit my parents' Farberware percolator and will just need to percolate a pot of coffee. I'm sure that one of the "can brands" still makes a percolator grind, whereas a decent home grinder will probably refuse, out of the principle of it, to grind such a brew )
Old Sep 6, 2016, 1:35 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
I'll admit I'm a coffee snob. No Folgers, Maxwell House or Sanka in this household.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 5:20 pm

I occasionally drink Folgers coffee. I purchase other coffee brands as well. I enjoy a good cup of coffee.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by Low Roller
Folgers - no. But after enjoying several cups of coffee at my brother's house, I asked what it was and was surprised to find out it was Hill's Bros - I've been buying it ever since. I'm a snob about alot of things, but coffee isn't one of them, especially in the morning when my taste buds aren't awake yet
This. I'm no coffee snob. I've been getting by on DD (the ground stuff they sell in their shops, or at the grocery store, or Costco), but would probably be okay with switching to something cheaper, assuming it's got decent taste. I'm not that picky. In fact, I generally dislike the fancy stuff my parents offer when I go to their houses.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 9:09 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
I'm a pretty big coffee snob, but I do have an emergency container of Folgers instant just in case I run out of Nespresso capsules or my preferred coffee.

I've had to dig into it once or twice, not as bad as I was expecting.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 5:19 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I usually use Bustello or Chock Full o Nuts, sometimes I'll be super cheap and buy generic. I don't use instant, but I only drink decaf and only black and evidently have crappy taste in coffee. I wouldn't be opposed to Folgers--in fact, I think my grandparents usually drink it. I have people tell me how weird my coffee taste is a lot, but I always say it saves me money.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 9:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
No, generally not.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 9:16 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by Low Roller
I had a similar experience with the break room coffee at another office, though I can't recall what brand it was but it was one of the mass market bucket/cans.

I've also come to like chicory flavor in my own daily coffee and that impossible to find around here other than a can of French Market or CDM. Toss a scoop of that into the unflavored grounds in the coffee maker and I'm set.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 3:32 pm

Programs: BAEC, IB+, TAM multi+
What is a Folgers? We don't get that kind of coffee here. Is it instant coffee?

I generally buy whole coffee beaens and grind them in my coffe grinder, then make coffee the regular way. The beans I buy aren't particularly expensive, but still it's a lot tastier than using pre-ground coffee even of the better brands. Well, the first cup of coffe you made out of a newly opened packet of pre ground coffee is fine, but you can never keep it 100 percent vacuum and then the taste diminishes very quickly.

I rarely drink instant coffee except if I have to. Nescafe Gold brand isn't that bad, actually, but you will always have that instant coffee taste. I do sometimes drink Senseo pad coffee but I think it tastes terrible but we only have a senseo machine in my office. Perhaps I'll switch to the nescafé gold because it may even taste better than senseo.

When I buy pre-ground coffee (rare), I buy Douwe Egberts or Kanis en Gunnink which are domestic coffee brands here. For the coffee beans I buy HEMA brand or any brand sold by local supermarkets here; the quality is not super good but as I said it's more than enough for me. If I wanted to I could buy super expensive high quality specialty coffee beans, but I find it not worthy of the price.

Once I tasted Kopi Luwak, the coffee that some kind of cat-like animal in Indonesia (the luwak) ..... out, and gains a special fermented flavour due to this process. I was not very impressed; while it was good coffee (a raison de 3,50 for a small cup) it was not better than what I drink at home. But I don't regret having tried it once.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.