Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trend of NO credit card logos displayed on the door

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2016, 3:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bigbuy
I was in the food business, but not a restaurant. Here is the following annual breakdown of rounded dollars charged per credit card, per customer, per transaction.

Discover $17
Master Card $23
Visa $26
AMEX $32
I paid an extra 1/2 point to take AMEX and gladly did so.
This can't be right...
No way a restaurant is going to pay $17+ per customer, per transaction to a ccc.

Last edited by Dieuwer; Aug 31, 2016 at 6:45 pm
Old Aug 31, 2016, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
The truth is out there...
Old Aug 31, 2016, 6:13 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
So this trend of restaurants not putting accepted card stickers on the entrance is just some kind of aesthetics fad ?
Old Aug 31, 2016, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by Dieuwer
This can't be right...
No way a restaurant is going to pay $17+ per customer, per transaction to a ccc.

I think that's the average amount spent by Visa/Master/AmEx/Discover credit card holders.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Low Roller
Visa and MC are almost universally accepted and you can safely assume that any restaurant will take them unless they state otherwise. Unfortunately Amex is much less widely accepted, especially outside of the US.
That's a good rule of thumb in the US (and probably most other Western countries). Outside of those, I pay a lot more attention--last time I was in Mexico for instance I didn't see the logos all that often and I mostly ended up pulling cash from ATMs instead of attempting to use my cards anyway. This was in a tourist town too.

Interestingly, when I did see card logos in Mexico it was often just Visa that I saw in the window. Not sure if that's because only Visa was providing the logos or if those businesses legitimately didn't accept anything else.

Originally Posted by Need
I always found it funny that American Express is much more wildly accepted everywhere else in the world except America. I have American Express for over 30 years but just canceled it. Costco stopped taking it and everywhere else I could use VISA... so no reason to carry an AE card.
Eh, I'd say AmEx is accepted 90-95% of the places that Visa is, at least where I live. I can count the number of recent rejections (within the last 6 months) on one hand.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 4:39 am

Originally Posted by Dieuwer
This can't be right...
Reread my post. I said I was not in the restaurant business. For the record, it was a large grocery store. The figures were the average total receipt per credit card, NOT the cost of the transaction. To expand on the numbers, my average cash transactions were $11 and my average check transactions were $14, so in all cases, credit card transactions were higher. Amex had the highest total ticket sale.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 5:42 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by tmiw
I'd say AmEx is accepted 90-95% of the places that Visa is, at least where I live. I can count the number of recent rejections (within the last 6 months) on one hand.
That's what I've seen when traveling in the US. In Canada, Amex acceptance is the exception, rather than the rule. While most chain restaurants and stores take it, very few independent businesses do (even some large grocery stores don't accept it).
Old Sep 1, 2016, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Low Roller
That's what I've seen when traveling in the US. In Canada, Amex acceptance is the exception, rather than the rule. While most chain restaurants and stores take it, very few independent businesses do (even some large grocery stores don't accept it).
Broadly similar in the UK - with perhaps somewhat more independents take it, but increasingly large companies are rejecting it.

I travelled in Germany a while ago and nearly got badly caught out as it was quite rare for any company at all to take credit cards.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 11:24 am

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
I would imagine the likes of Square has actually increased Amex acceptance since (for the moment) they eat the difference in fees.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
Eh, I'd say AmEx is accepted 90-95% of the places that Visa is, at least where I live. I can count the number of recent rejections (within the last 6 months) on one hand.
It is probably because of the type of restaurants I visited. I would say most of the food places I go do not take Amex. It is strange because they will bring the check in an Amex folder.. when I put my Amex card there, they will tell you they don't take Amex. I am thinking they just don't want to pay the extra 1%. It happens a lot. These are all Asian restaurants (Mostly Japanese (Korean owned), Thai, or Chinese). Of course many Chinese restaurants will only take cash anyway.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 7:04 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, QRPC Gold
Reread my post. I said I was not in the restaurant business. For the record, it was a large grocery store. The figures were the average total receipt per credit card, NOT the cost of the transaction. To expand on the numbers, my average cash transactions were $11 and my average check transactions were $14, so in all cases, credit card transactions were higher. Amex had the highest total ticket sale.
The confusion came from the use of "charged" - I also got confused thinking that it's charged by the card company to the vendor instead of charged by a consumer to a card.

Ro
Old Sep 9, 2016, 10:07 pm

I was in the food business, but not a restaurant. Here is the following annual breakdown of rounded dollars charged per credit card, per customer, per transaction.

Discover $17
Master Card $23
Visa $26
AMEX $32
I paid an extra 1/2 point to take AMEX and gladly did so.

Curious if this is correlative or causal?

I have Amex Platinum but rarely use it because:

1. Membership Rewards system isn't as good for what I use it for.
2. Businesses end up paying more per transaction.

The prestige with the AMEX name just isn't there as it is to some of my older friends, I prefer benefit/utility.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by op487062
Curious if this is correlative or causal?

I have Amex Platinum but rarely use it because:

1. Membership Rewards system isn't as good for what I use it for.
2. Businesses end up paying more per transaction.

The prestige with the AMEX name just isn't there as it is to some of my older friends, I prefer benefit/utility.
Businesses can end up paying just as much for e.g. Visa Signature/Visa Infinite as for AmEx. It depends on the kind of business though. (And there are a surprising number of non "premium" cards out there that are Visa Signature, too.)
Old Sep 10, 2016, 7:02 am

i'm in the US, and i have certainly not seen any such "trend." sometimes fancy or fancy-wannabe places make their stickers hard to find (like at the bottom corner of the glass door or window next to the door), but every time i've looked, it's always there.

what i don't like, is when a restaurant brings me the bill in an amex wallet, and then refuses to accept my amex card. i know, they're just using the cheapest (or free) wallets, but you are telling your customers that you accept that card.
Old Sep 10, 2016, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
This was a slightly perplexing sign though... (overseen in Lima, Peru earlier this week)

For those who don't speak Spanish, abierto means open and cerrado means closed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.