Search

Trend of NO credit card logos displayed on the door

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2016, 11:27 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Trend of NO credit card logos displayed on the door

Have you noticed more and more restaurants (main exception is fast-food ones) not displaying accepted credit card logos on the door ? Is this some kind of clean/zen/Feng shui design trend ?

As a Canadian American Express credit card holder, this is an annoyance for me because it makes it harder to know whether the restaurant will accept Amex or any credit card at all and it lets the restaurant hide the competitive disadvantage that they do not take Amex
Old Aug 30, 2016, 12:40 pm

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
I hadn't noticed this, but I'm sure I will from now on Since Amex isn't widely accepted in Canada, I always have my TD Aeroplan Visa on standby, but it is nice to know upfront so that you don't have to ask.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 1:27 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by Low Roller
I hadn't noticed this, but I'm sure I will from now on Since Amex isn't widely accepted in Canada, I always have my TD Aeroplan Visa on standby, but it is nice to know upfront so that you don't have to ask.
I too carry a Mastercard as a backup, but a matter of principle, I try to research and patronize only those restaurants that take Amex in the areas where I go.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 3:29 pm

I'm curious why this is a matter of principle. I love my Amex too but I understand why restaurants don't want to take it. After all, they are private businesses with tight profit margins. Why accept an Amex card which charges higher vendor fees when most people carry a Visa or MC (even those with an Amex)? If I was a restaurant owner, I'm not sure that I would want to accept it.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 3:43 pm

I'm curious why this is a matter of principle. I love my Amex too but I understand why restaurants don't want to take it. After all, they are private businesses with tight profit margins. Why accept an Amex card which charges higher vendor fees when most people carry a Visa or MC (even those with an Amex)? If I was a restaurant owner, I'm not sure that I would want to accept it.
I was in the food business, but not a restaurant. Here is the following annual breakdown of rounded dollars charged per credit card, per customer, per transaction.

Discover $17
Master Card $23
Visa $26
AMEX $32
I paid an extra 1/2 point to take AMEX and gladly did so.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 4:03 pm

Fascinating numbers! Perhaps Amex should be using more of these types of stats to convince retailers to accept the card.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 4:51 pm

Fascinating numbers! Perhaps Amex should be using more of these types of stats to convince retailers to accept the card.
They actually do, but most folks get hung up on the fee. In my case, they offered me a better rate to hold my money for 30 days instead of 3 days.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I really don't blame places on low margins for not taking Amex, but I get particularly annoyed with London theatres who invariably won't take it. They charge a small fortune for intermission drinks and then won't take Amex. Sometimes, I enjoy ordering drinks and then refusing them when they won't take the Amex.

But, back on topic, most places with design sensibility will not clutter their doors and shopfronts up with unnecessary signage.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
I actually find that most places I go to in the US don't have the logos on the door (or if they do I don't notice them / don't pay attention to them) but it's generally not an issue. If there is any sort of restriction, it's far more common to see a "NO AMEX" sign as opposed to a more subtle door that only has Visa/MC logos (and the NO AMEX sign is more effective in getting my attention).

I do pay attention though when traveling abroad, especially in certain parts of Europe and Asia where finding a place that takes any credit card, much less an Amex, can be a tough act
Old Aug 31, 2016, 11:25 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by Duke787
If there is any sort of restriction, it's far more common to see a "NO AMEX" sign as opposed to a more subtle door that only has Visa/MC logos (and the NO AMEX sign is more effective in getting my attention).
Or in my experience, it's common to see a NO CREDIT CARDS/CASH ONLY sign if credit cards are not accepted.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 11:34 am

Some restaurants will accept Amex but not advertise as much. Some restaurants will decline initially, but accept if you say you have no other cards.

What needs to be stamped out is restaurants that give you the check in an Amex-branded folio, but don't accept Amex!
Old Aug 31, 2016, 12:31 pm

My guess is either the stickers were provided by the credit card companies in the past and the companies have stopped as a cost cutting measure, or the stores/restaurants had to buy the stickers, and have stopped as a cost cutting measure.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
I still look for the stickers but I can't remember the last time I tried to pay at a restaurant with a credit card only to be refused. FWIW, I only use MC and VI. I do agree it seems like the stickers are becoming extinct.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by BamaVol
I can't remember the last time I tried to pay at a restaurant with a credit card only to be refused. FWIW, I only use MC and VI.
Visa and MC are almost universally accepted and you can safely assume that any restaurant will take them unless they state otherwise. Unfortunately Amex is much less widely accepted, especially outside of the US.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 3:34 pm

I always found it funny that American Express is much more wildly accepted everywhere else in the world except America. I have American Express for over 30 years but just canceled it. Costco stopped taking it and everywhere else I could use VISA... so no reason to carry an AE card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.