Reload this Page >

How do you cheesesteak?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How do you cheesesteak?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2016, 4:13 pm

The Pitts-burger, being served at the US Open.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
I used some leftover ingredients to make myself another serving, but I ran out of bread... so I put the filling into a tortilla
Old Jun 17, 2016, 4:31 pm

I've been to Philly a few times recently and I think I've given the Philly cheesesteak enough of a chance to say that I kinda feel it's a bit overrated. I went in with extremely high expectations - which probably was a mistake - but it turned out to be merely 'decent'.

For a killer sandwich it's just a bit too one-dimensional IMO.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 10:17 pm

Programs: US,UA,AA,DL,hhonors
Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
A great sandwich; I just prefer beef.

Mmmmmmmm. John's Roast Pork. It doesn't get much better than that!
Old Jun 17, 2016, 11:53 pm
Suspended

Mushroom and Swiss, with
Old Jun 18, 2016, 7:04 am

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
Originally Posted by lhgreengrd1
Mushroom and Swiss, with
I dare you to order that at Tony Luke's, Gino's, Jim's, Pat's, or Oregon Steaks.

I predict it would not go well. You might get lucky at a neighborhood joint that sells cut lunch meat, but otherwise the three standard cheese options are American, Provolone, and Whiz.

When I was in college in Michigan, my friends and I had a running gag. If we went somewhere to eat that had a "Philly Cheese Steak Sandwich" on the menu, I was obliged to order it and give my review of what they did wrong. If I accepted it as a legit cheesesteak I would pay for the meal; otherwise I ate for free.

Once, and only once, did I pay. Look up Big John Steak & Onion if you are ever in mid-Michigan and have a hankering for a cheesesteak. Not quite Philly quality (they call it a "sub") but definitely acceptable as an out-of-town substitute.

Also a recent discovery for me (~ 4 years ago): The Cheesesteak Shop in the Bay Area, CA. 100% legit, so when the founder couldn't find the right bread in SF he decided to fly in Amaroso daily for the chain. When I ordered a "6" steak American with onions" I was told that I was the first person to order correctly in a month. Turns out the owner was running the grill that afternoon so we chatted for a while. I told him that Philly sent me out on an audit. He passed

Here's what I would look for when we ordered the gag sandwiches:
1) Long Italian roll. Not a kaiser. Not sour dough, or whatever the bread fad of the year is at the time. Not cut in half all the way through. No seeds, but John's Roast Pork gets a pass on this because the pork is so good!
2) Cheese. One of the three aforementioned choices (Amer, Prov, Whiz) only.
3) Steak. Should be rib-eye. Definitely cannot be too lean (dries out the steak). Cut or chopped in some way (no Steak-umm or roast beef meat slabs).
4) Other ingredients. With or without (onions) is standard. I would accept hots (peppers). Green peppers and mushrooms meant I ate free, and I would order without the shrooms because they gross me out.
5) Other things that should never grace a good steak: brown gravy (but red gravy is OK on a pizza steak where a cheese exemption also exists), raw onions, any condiment besides hot sauce.
6) Technique. Cheese goes between the bread and the meat to act as a barrier layer and protect the roll. Two ways to achieve this: the "correct" way, where the cheese melts on top of the meat on the grill and then the roll is placed opened on top and everything is flipped with a spatula; the "alternate" and inferior way, where the cheese is placed in the roll and the meat on top of that. Placing the cheese on top of hot meat already on a roll will only result in poorly melted cheese and a disintegrating roll at the seam.

As you can see, Philadelphians take our cheesesteaks seriously. Just like Chicago with their hot dogs, New York with their delis, Baltimore with their crabs, and Texas/KC/St. Louis/Carolina with their barbecue, poor substitutes are looked down upon.

However, there is also a "to each his own" attitude: Everyone has their favorites, they are all different, but none are "wrong" as long as they fall into the sphere of authentic. For example, I will never eat another Jim's again (Ishkabibble's for the win) and my wife cannot understand how I like Tony Luke's. But we both scoff at the "green peppers and mushroom" sandwiches when we travel.

Last edited by pa3lsvt; Jun 18, 2016 at 7:09 am
Old Jun 18, 2016, 8:11 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by pa3lsvt
I dare you to order that at Tony Luke's, Gino's, Jim's, Pat's, or Oregon Steaks.

I predict it would not go well. You might get lucky at a neighborhood joint that sells cut lunch meat, but otherwise the three standard cheese options are American, Provolone, and Whiz.

When I was in college in Michigan, my friends and I had a running gag. If we went somewhere to eat that had a "Philly Cheese Steak Sandwich" on the menu, I was obliged to order it and give my review of what they did wrong. If I accepted it as a legit cheesesteak I would pay for the meal; otherwise I ate for free.

Once, and only once, did I pay. Look up Big John Steak & Onion if you are ever in mid-Michigan and have a hankering for a cheesesteak. Not quite Philly quality (they call it a "sub") but definitely acceptable as an out-of-town substitute.

Also a recent discovery for me (~ 4 years ago): The Cheesesteak Shop in the Bay Area, CA. 100% legit, so when the founder couldn't find the right bread in SF he decided to fly in Amaroso daily for the chain. When I ordered a "6" steak American with onions" I was told that I was the first person to order correctly in a month. Turns out the owner was running the grill that afternoon so we chatted for a while. I told him that Philly sent me out on an audit. He passed

Here's what I would look for when we ordered the gag sandwiches:
1) Long Italian roll. Not a kaiser. Not sour dough, or whatever the bread fad of the year is at the time. Not cut in half all the way through. No seeds, but John's Roast Pork gets a pass on this because the pork is so good!
2) Cheese. One of the three aforementioned choices (Amer, Prov, Whiz) only.
3) Steak. Should be rib-eye. Definitely cannot be too lean (dries out the steak). Cut or chopped in some way (no Steak-umm or roast beef meat slabs).
4) Other ingredients. With or without (onions) is standard. I would accept hots (peppers). Green peppers and mushrooms meant I ate free, and I would order without the shrooms because they gross me out.
5) Other things that should never grace a good steak: brown gravy (but red gravy is OK on a pizza steak where a cheese exemption also exists), raw onions, any condiment besides hot sauce.
6) Technique. Cheese goes between the bread and the meat to act as a barrier layer and protect the roll. Two ways to achieve this: the "correct" way, where the cheese melts on top of the meat on the grill and then the roll is placed opened on top and everything is flipped with a spatula; the "alternate" and inferior way, where the cheese is placed in the roll and the meat on top of that. Placing the cheese on top of hot meat already on a roll will only result in poorly melted cheese and a disintegrating roll at the seam.

As you can see, Philadelphians take our cheesesteaks seriously. Just like Chicago with their hot dogs, New York with their delis, Baltimore with their crabs, and Texas/KC/St. Louis/Carolina with their barbecue, poor substitutes are looked down upon.

However, there is also a "to each his own" attitude: Everyone has their favorites, they are all different, but none are "wrong" as long as they fall into the sphere of authentic. For example, I will never eat another Jim's again (Ishkabibble's for the win) and my wife cannot understand how I like Tony Luke's. But we both scoff at the "green peppers and mushroom" sandwiches when we travel.
I am aware of the cheese choices at the well known places in Philly. When I make my steaks myself, I improve them with better (a.k.a. Swiss) cheese. The topic was how do we do our cheesesteaks. And that's how I do mine.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by pa3lsvt
I love the Cheesesteak Shop, glad to see a Philly-born approve. I actually prefer it over any of the Philly places.

I am aware of the cheese choices at the well known places in Philly. When I make my steaks myself, I improve them with better (a.k.a. Swiss) cheese. The topic was how do we do our cheesesteaks. And that's how I do mine.
Indeed, I'm tempted to try out some fancy cheese (Smoked Gouda? Gruyere?) with some wagyu and leeks on sourdough, post a pic here, and really watch some heads explode
Old Jun 20, 2016, 8:49 am

Programs: Aeroplan, HiltonHonours
wiz with onions and sweet peppers. So far the best one I've had was from Steve's Prince of Steaks.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 10:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by IceTrojan
I love the Cheesesteak Shop, glad to see a Philly-born approve. I actually prefer it over any of the Philly places.

Indeed, I'm tempted to try out some fancy cheese (Smoked Gouda? Gruyere?) with some wagyu and leeks on sourdough, post a pic here, and really watch some heads explode
We have a very authentic place in San Marcos, CA named Philly Frank's Cheesesteaks. He uses Amoroso rolls, and is the exclusive Socal licensed distributor for Tastykakes. And no, I can't get Swiss cheese there either, just American, Provolone, and Wiz. Of those choices, I default to American cheese.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 1:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

We have a very authentic place in San Marcos, CA named Philly Frank's Cheesesteaks. He uses Amoroso rolls, and is the exclusive Socal licensed distributor for Tastykakes. And no, I can't get Swiss cheese there either, just American, Provolone, and Wiz. Of those choices, I default to American cheese.
Will make a note for next time I head that way ^
Old Jun 23, 2016, 1:22 pm

Authentic or not, I'd eat the hell out of that sandwich. Never attempted it myself, but I might give that a whirl.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Provolone wit'

I go back on forth on whether the best sandwich to come out of Philly is the cheesesteak or roast pork Italian.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 8:25 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Whiz witout for me. Spent my college years in Philly, and a good cheesesteak would never get passed up. Pat's over Geno's by far. Jim's has better quality meat but was a bit light on the Whiz for my liking. Never liked Tony Luke's - felt they were a bit dry. I went to a spot called D'Alessandro's outside of downtown Philly after I graduated, and that objectively is probably the best steak I've had.

In NYC, I suffice with Shorty's, which does a damn good version of a steak and imports their bread daily from Philly. Carl's is okay but not quite the same.

And +1 to whoever above said that you would get raised eyebrows if you EVER asked for Swiss cheese on your cheesesteak. John Kerry tried doing that in 2004 when he went to Pat's...that didn't go well.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 9:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Whiz witout for me. Spent my college years in Philly, and a good cheesesteak would never get passed up. Pat's over Geno's by far. Jim's has better quality meat but was a bit light on the Whiz for my liking. Never liked Tony Luke's - felt they were a bit dry. I went to a spot called D'Alessandro's outside of downtown Philly after I graduated, and that objectively is probably the best steak I've had.

In NYC, I suffice with Shorty's, which does a damn good version of a steak and imports their bread daily from Philly. Carl's is okay but not quite the same.

And +1 to whoever above said that you would get raised eyebrows if you EVER asked for Swiss cheese on your cheesesteak. John Kerry tried doing that in 2004 when he went to Pat's...that didn't go well.
I don't ASK for Swiss cheese. I put Swiss cheese on my own steaks. Because they are better that way. Anyone who thinks an artificial mutant substance like cheesewiz is better than actual Swiss cheese on a steak has simply never actually tasted the latter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.