Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best City in the world for Food?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2016, 8:36 pm
Original Poster

Best City in the world for Food?

I am a food fanatic and planing a vacation this fall. I am literally basing my vacation off of the food. I really want to experience the culture of a city and dive into all they have to offer. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Old Jun 12, 2016, 8:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Fine dining? Street food? Something in between?

My first instinct is to say Singapore. Paris is an obvious choice. I was pretty impressed with the food I had in Edinburgh, including what I consider "nouvelle British."
Old Jun 12, 2016, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
I agree on the Singapore suggestion - it's a foodie paradise and is major part of the culture.

If you like fish (along with a few other things), Tokyo is also a place where you can really feel the culture through food
Old Jun 12, 2016, 9:40 pm

Programs: UA 1MM
I've never been, but when I was in Singapore talking to colleagues about all the great food options they had, they kept saying how Malaysia's food scene is even better.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 10:25 pm
Suspended

I'll go with Lyon, France. Although if I were travelling to Europe, I'd also hit Florence, Italy, on the same trip. And depending upon the amount of time I had, Paris, Barcelona, Geneva and Strasbourg would also be worth considering in fairly easy geographic proximity.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 10:31 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
In addition to Lyon and Singapore, both of which I endorse,
I'd like to suggest Kansas City and Austin if you're a carnivore.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 10:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
San Francisco
Old Jun 12, 2016, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Domestic US, I would nominate San Francisco.

The entire city is 7 miles by 7 miles, meaning you don't need a car unless you want your go to Napa/Sonoma.

An almost fanatical focus on the freshest possible ingredients, with a mix of classic and modern techniques. Super talented men and women running the kitchens.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 1:18 am

Programs: SPG Plat, IHG Spire, HHonors Diamond, EK Gold
I'd second (third?, fourth?) Singapore.

I don't think any one destination in Malaysia beats Singapore but when taken together, Malacca, KL, Ipoh and Penang are definitely more than worth a food based trip.

A lot of my Singaporean colleagues have started going to Taipei for foodie weekends but have yet to find the time to join them.

In Europe I would add San Sebastian into the mix. I'm also yet to eat anything in Porto that wasn't excellent.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 2:48 am
Suspended

The only problem with Singapore is that unless you like karaoke it's dull.Safe but dull.
Personally I like New York and London.
Paris is hugely over-rated.
For a smaller city I agree with the poster above about San Sebastian and its neighbour Bilbao.
But of course these are all subjective opinions.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by Clint Bint
Paris is hugely over-rated.
+1

It trades on its reputation.

London, San Francisco, NY, HK, Sydney, Singapore, Buenos Aires (it's a bit narrower here, come for the steaks and the Italian food). They'd be my picks.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 4:09 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Fine dining? Street food? Something in between?
That's just what I was thinking - are we talking about spending a week eating in Michelin starred restaurants? If so, then London would be a great choice. Or are we talking about the best regional food? I thought the food in Barcelona blew me away, so if that's the objective, I'd probably head back there. In the USA I'd probably go to KC
Old Jun 13, 2016, 4:33 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by bensyd
+1

It trades on its reputation.

London, San Francisco, NY, HK, Sydney, Singapore, Buenos Aires (it's a bit narrower here, come for the steaks and the Italian food). They'd be my picks.
Buenos Aires is on my bucket list.Read so many great things about the city.I shall PM you for reccos if I ever get the chance to go.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by violist
i'd like to suggest kansas city and austin if you're a carnivore.
^^

Originally Posted by clint bint
personally i like new york and london. Paris is hugely over-rated.
^^^

Originally Posted by vivoperlei
-- are we talking about spending a week eating in michelin starred restaurants? If so, then london would be a great choice. In the usa i'd probably go to kc
^^
Old Jun 13, 2016, 8:22 am

Programs: Budding BA Bronze, MPC Gold
London, San Fran, Osaka/Tokyo, HK

If you fancy something a little different I'd say Penang, Malaysia!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.