Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Best City in the world for Food?

Best City in the world for Food?

Old Aug 18, 2016, 5:13 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by rickg523
Is the question about fancy restaurants run by famous chefs? Then Las Vegas.
I'm not sure Vegas out-does London or Paris for celeb chefs!
Old Aug 18, 2016, 11:21 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

South of France gets my vote along with Los Angeles, Hong Kong and New York City.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 4:45 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
As a seafood lover I'd say Tokyo.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 4:55 am

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
You should try Kota Kinablu then
Old Sep 6, 2016, 5:24 pm

New York City has various restaurants featuring different cultures. From Japanese to Turkish restaurants, NYC offers people a variety of cuisine to dine on. Local NYC food is excellent as well.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 2:26 am

Originally Posted by cslewis
New York City has various restaurants featuring different cultures. From Japanese to Turkish restaurants, NYC offers people a variety of cuisine to dine on. Local NYC food is excellent as well.
NYC is indeed my 2nd favorite place on earth after Miami. You can't beat vibe of good international cuisine.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 7:48 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
You should try Kota Kinabalu then
As someone who's spent 9 years in KK, it doesn't even come close to Tokyo (or Japan in general) in the seafood department.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 2:12 am

Programs: UA 1MM
I find San Francisco to be highly over-rated. There are lots of people here who appreciate and produce high-quality and inventive food, but I feel the area lacks its own unique or longstanding food culture that is so clearly on display when I visit other foodie destinations.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 8:19 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Odd answers, but on the street food side of things, my foremost favorite location was Ghana (primarily Kumasi and Accra), and Nigerian cities (many I've hit). I really like West African food and it's as cheap as it comes on the street, though one has to be willing to be slightly adventerous. I wouldn't be shocked to see West African cuisine begin to take off in the West in the next few decades woth some adjustments for our palates (less offal, more tamed spice levels, etc.).

In general, I love NYC's diversity as cliche as it is. Tokyo however, wins my overall favorite by a significant margin.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 8:39 pm

For me, it's got to be Paris.

French cuisine is my favorite, but I also think the French have it perfect when it comes to the art of dining. No breakfast, excellent lunch, and late dinner (love the 9pm dining hour) without ever being rushed. I love the fact they never bring you the check unless you ask for it.

Frustrating in America where I always get the evil eye when taking the extra time to order coffee after the dessert or showing up at 9 pm.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 2:16 am

Originally Posted by Visconti
For me, it's got to be Paris.

French cuisine is my favorite, but I also think the French have it perfect when it comes to the art of dining. No breakfast, excellent lunch, and late dinner (love the 9pm dining hour) without ever being rushed. I love the fact they never bring you the check unless you ask for it.

Frustrating in America where I always get the evil eye when taking the extra time to order coffee after the dessert or showing up at 9 pm.
Having lived in Latin America for some time I also really love eating lunch at 2PM and dinner at 9-10PM. Also I'm not a huge person for breakfast person especially before 9AM.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 1:03 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by sky303
Odd answers, but on the street food side of things, my foremost favorite location was Ghana (primarily Kumasi and Accra), and Nigerian cities (many I've hit). I really like West African food and it's as cheap as it comes on the street, though one has to be willing to be slightly adventerous. I wouldn't be shocked to see West African cuisine begin to take off in the West in the next few decades woth some adjustments for our palates (less offal, more tamed spice levels, etc.).
Have any photos?

Haven't been to West Africa yet, but was just reading about suya and the black-eyed pea fritters in Senegal. The spicier the better for me, but my eating habits are by no means representative of my compatriot Americans.

As for cities with the best street food, (thus far) fortunately, there are too many possibilities. Lately, I've been craving a revisit to Mexico City.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 7:27 am

Programs: OZ*G, QF Gold
I'm surprised that Stockholm hasn't been mentioned yet! Wonderful and well-established food culture, with plenty of old-school cooking as well as experimentation. Due to the local "fika" tradition, there are stupendously good cafes and bakeries everywhere - even higher quality in this department than the better-known Vienna, IMHO. Quite a good variety of different cuisines and fusion cooking as well. Good price-quality ratio in general. Some of the most memorable meals of my life have been had there, and there's always something new popping up on the food scene, which is why I keep going back.

One city which was a great surprise in the food department was Tallinn, Estonia. Small place with touristy medieval-themed restaurants at first glance, but if you dig just a little deeper, it's actually loaded with fantastic restaurants serving up really interesting interpretations of their (superb) local produce and traditional dishes. Outstanding value for money, too (e.g. €7,50 for a dessert at a very high-end restaurant). Hands down my favourite food city out of the three Baltic capitals!

Of course, I do enjoy the big-name food cities such as NYC, Hong Kong and Copenhagen, etc.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 8:06 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by FlyingJoy
I'm surprised that Stockholm hasn't been mentioned yet! Wonderful and well-established food culture, with plenty of old-school cooking as well as experimentation. Due to the local "fika" tradition, there are stupendously good cafes and bakeries everywhere - even higher quality in this department than the better-known Vienna, IMHO. Quite a good variety of different cuisines and fusion cooking as well. Good price-quality ratio in general. Some of the most memorable meals of my life have been had there, and there's always something new popping up on the food scene, which is why I keep going back.

Semla
everyday. I could do it.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by FlyingJoy
I'm surprised that Stockholm hasn't been mentioned yet! Wonderful and well-established food culture, with plenty of old-school cooking as well as experimentation.
Thanks! Had no idea and will sure to try it on a visit on my next Holiday.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.