Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Best City in the world for Food?

Best City in the world for Food?

Old Jun 14, 2016, 1:19 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by VivoPerLei
The UK is obviously at a disadvantage compared to its continental European counterparts when it comes to locally sourced products, but London has an abundance of really talented chefs pushing what they have to the limits. Another good thing about London is that given so many choices, it's relatively easy to get a table on short notice at many of the better places.
What are these locally-sourced products ?
Old Jun 14, 2016, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Another vote for London and New York. Both offer the very top end and a huge amount of diversity. All the other cities mentioned are limited in comparison.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 1:50 am

Originally Posted by Olivia1
Singapore seems like the overwhelming favorite. Do you guys know any good sites to look into the type of food that they have there?

I have been to San Fran many of times and I do agree that in the US that is up there as one of the best. I love New York's food scene also. Jack's Wife Freda and Jacobs Pickles were 2 brunch spots I fell in love with last time I went.
I think Singapore has variety. In the European places you only get their food, and that's about it (try finding good Asian food in Europe). In Singapore you get all sorts of food. Also in California, but you have to drive (other than in SF).

They have Hungrygowhere in Singapore. Also lots of food bloggers (who actually will travel to Malaysia and nearby countries for food).

Because Singapore has nothing else to do they emphasize their food.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 3:14 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by s0ssos
I think Singapore has variety. In the European places you only get their food, and that's about it (try finding good Asian food in Europe). In Singapore you get all sorts of food. Also in California, but you have to drive (other than in SF).

They have Hungrygowhere in Singapore. Also lots of food bloggers (who actually will travel to Malaysia and nearby countries for food).

Because Singapore has nothing else to do they emphasize their food.
You're not serious,Shirley ?
Old Jun 14, 2016, 3:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Clint Bint
Buenos Aires is on my bucket list.Read so many great things about the city.I shall PM you for reccos if I ever get the chance to go.
Come to COW DO in early September.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 3:21 am

Tokyo - Best in Asia, but don't have a lot of street food.

NYC - Best in the US
LA - A lot of great rustic cooking but not a lot of high end.
Las Vegas - One big boulevard of big names.

I like London (my favorite restaurant is Hedone) and Paris, but don't have enough experience in either city to comment fully.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 3:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by lhgreengrd1
I'll go with Lyon, France. Although if I were travelling to Europe, I'd also hit Florence, Italy, on the same trip. And depending upon the amount of time I had, Paris, Barcelona, Geneva and Strasbourg would also be worth considering in fairly easy geographic proximity.
I prefer the food in the southwest of France to that of Lyon. I also like Normandy, especially the "pre sale" (sorry, accent missing here) lamb.

In Italy, I'd pick Modena for the food, although Florence has Tuscan food as well as Italian. Really good ham comes from near Udine.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 3:34 am

Programs: US,UA,AA,DL,hhonors
I'd agree with NY and SF in the USA. Plus, I loved Barcelona in Europe. I will also nominate New Orleans. Especially if you seek more than food.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by Clint Bint
You're not serious,Shirley ?
Oh, but I am. Do you know Asian food?
Old Jun 14, 2016, 10:11 am

My favourite city would be Osaka but Tokyo is probably better as it has more variety in cuisines a better top end. For mid priced Japanese Osaka does beat Tokyo though.

As a general rule I think these days the good Asian countries like Japan, Taiwan, Thailand, Vietnam, Malaysia, Myanmar have it over Europe as too much of the mid level food in Europe is mass produced fast food now (hello Paris). Yes, you can get the really top end restaurants in the big cities (though there is more really top end in Tokyo than any other city) but I judge a city by its affordable food with the top end being an occasional spurge so I give it a lower weighting.

I'd also agree that you can't get good eastern Asian food in Europe.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 4:59 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
My personal favorite for food cities: Paris, Hong Kong, Osaka, Saigon and San Francisco.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 9:35 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

This thread sounds familiar, but I'll go with Jakarta (for regional Indo), Shenzhen (regional Chinese) and Tokyo (for its prefectural shops).

Generally speaking, all of the Turkish/Mexican/Korean cities I've visited thus far have also been delicious.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 12:58 am

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Another vote for Penang. I spent two weeks there last year and feel like I've barely scratched the surface. Considering another trip, maybe combined with a jaunt over to Kuching.

Having also just returned from Singapore, I think Penang's food scene is the more interesting of the two.

I'll also nominate Houston. Some serious hidden gems in that town if you know where to look.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 2:55 am

Programs: UA MM, SPG Plat, SQ PPS
I'd go with Mexico City, Penang, San Sebastian and Bangkok. Maybe Hong Kong for high-end Chinese. I'd leave Singapore off any 'best' list in creation.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 5:45 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
I cannot agree with anyone who says London and I am amazed by the amount of acclaim. Yes its immigrants bring very high quality food but you can find that anywhere. The UK has brought nothing to the culinary world. Yes the food is acceptable but so pretentious. Cereal cafes. Toast cafes. Grilled cheese food trucks. Burger bars that serve weird over thought out meatballs that are unweildly and impossible to eat. It's a [redacted] burger, not something complex like curry. Novelty cafes that serve food in weird containers. London hipsters are so obnoxious. Places that claim to serve "authentic texas bbq" but nobody has a clue what a moist cut is, not that it matters because they're chopping the brisket completely wrong. Yeah the restaurants are really cool and I went to this neat tex mex place with a massive our lady of guadalajara neon sign but the "authentic yucutan tacos" came without any cilantro or lime or hint of chipotle. You can overhear tables mention how "authentic" the food is and how it's "obviously the best". It's fake and I see why native londoners are getting hostile to gentrification. also finding good fried chicken in london is very challenging considering how many fried chicken establishments there are. I'm not saying the food is horrendous but it's all jam and no toast

ahem anyways in no order

Singapore and Kuala Lumpur (hawker centers)
Lima (quality of ingredients, Peruvian cuisine is arguable one of the best in world, and cafe culture)
Naples (i had nothing but pizza for 4 glorious days. breakfast lunch dinner. ate next to trash piles, with stray dogs, with stray dogs in trash piles and it didn't matter. oh and cafe culture)
New York (you can get any type of cuisine you want)
Houston (same as ny but they obviously do bbq 10000x better...and the best peking duck i've ever had was in hou)
Maputo (seafood and mozambiquan food culture is ^^)

Originally Posted by maortega15
What about Hawaii for food? I love Hawaiian food.
best japanese food outside of japan i've ever had was in honolulu. by far. they even structure the restaurants exactly like the japanese ones

i find hawaiian food highly unappealing but if you like spam and steamed pig go for it

Last edited by cblaisd; Jun 15, 2016 at 6:22 am Reason: http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#offensive

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.