Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How do you like your lobster roll?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2016, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Is there a place in San Diego to get a good lobster roll? I'll be there at Christmas and would love to try this culinary treat!
Old Jun 7, 2016, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by USA_flyer
Is there a place in San Diego to get a good lobster roll? I'll be there at Christmas and would love to try this culinary treat!
The US West Coast is not known for its lobster (there is a local, claw less spiny lobster but it is not what you get in Maine).

Notwithstanding, here is a place in the Liberty Market that brings in their lobster gfrom Maine:

http://libertypublicmarket.com/artis...maine-lobster/
Old Jun 8, 2016, 2:12 am

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Butter + Mayo

I have had a few lobstah rolls since moving to Maine. Butter and mayo is good, but the best hands down is Eventide's brown butter lobster roll.
It's disappointing to see that Joe's Boathouse in South Portland closed. I had several very good meals there over the years
Old Jun 8, 2016, 11:51 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
the best hands down is Eventide's brown butter lobster roll.
+infinity. Absolutely the best I've ever had.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 7:50 pm

Programs: DL Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by dchristiva
No, no, no! Old Bay should only be served with Maryland crabs, not lobstah!

I do like the Red Hook Lobster, though. They have a food truck in D.C. that is a great go-to in the summer.
I freely admit that I prefer lobster rolls without Old Bay, but it doesn't ruin them for me if there's a tiny bit.

But now I want to try Eventide - a brown butter lobster roll sounds killer!
Old Jun 8, 2016, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
And then there's this roll of a different color:

Old Jun 9, 2016, 2:14 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
I hope that's squid ink bread or at least a cow pattie and not
something disgusting like pumpernickel.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by violist
I hope that's squid ink bread or at least a cow pattie and not
something disgusting like pumpernickel.
The bun is a house-baked bun at the restaurant Hinoki and the Bird in Los Angeles. The color is from a small infusion of super-fine edible charcoal dust (from bamboo and cocoanut shells).
Old Jun 9, 2016, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
The bun is a house-baked bun at the restaurant Hinoki and the Bird in Los Angeles. The color is from a small infusion of super-fine edible charcoal dust (from bamboo and cocoanut shells).
Some people seem enamored of "creativity" for the sake of creativity alone.

I'm not one of them.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MaxBuck
Some people seem enamored of "creativity" for the sake of creativity alone. I'm not one of them.
Vive la difference!

I think I get your point. The one thing here is that these kinds of dishes are what that restaurant is all about. It's not just some wise guy doing a one time gimmick to get free publicity.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
Vive la difference!

I think I get your point. The one thing here is that these kinds of dishes are what that restaurant is all about. It's not just some wise guy doing a one time gimmick to get free publicity.
I entirely understand this. OTOH, I was once the victim of a "creative" presentation of a plain ol' chicken leg and thigh at a trendy eatery in Houston. Scrawny, dry, and way overpriced at about $15, a la carte.

One of the best meals I've ever eaten was at the Ralph Lauren restaurant in Chicago - brunch, simple omelette, but prepared absolutely flawlessly with the best, freshest ingredients possible, accompanied by superb baked goods and several varieties of mimosas along with strong, aromatic coffee. I went in thinking the price was ridiculously high; left wondering how I'd managed to score such a great meal for such a low price.

Simple meals prepared perfectly can be about the best food available. Too many restaurateurs fail to recognize this fact.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Simple meals prepared perfectly can be about the best food available. Too many restaurateurs fail to recognize this fact.
Case in point: Zuni Cafe in San Francisco, where the star dish is a perfectly-roasted whole chicken. They're really fanatical about sourcing the birds, not too big not too small. Seasoned with sea salt and fresh cracked pepper, nothing else. Roasted in a super hot brick oven, turned in the oven halfway in the cooking process. Perfection.

The place will turn 30 years old next year.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 4:47 am
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
I entirely understand this. OTOH, I was once the victim of a "creative" presentation of a plain ol' chicken leg and thigh at a trendy eatery in Houston. Scrawny, dry, and way overpriced at about $15, a la carte.
Did you send it back? Bad food needs to be challenged, trendy or no.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 5:09 am

One of the best meals I've ever eaten was at the Ralph Lauren restaurant in Chicago - brunch, simple omelette, but prepared absolutely flawlessly with the best, freshest ingredients possible, accompanied by superb baked goods and several varieties of mimosas along with strong, aromatic coffee. I went in thinking the price was ridiculously high; left wondering how I'd managed to score such a great meal for such a low price.

I frequently stay at a family-run hotel in the Azores where they cook the breakfast fresh each day. Somehow the lady who cooks breakfast turns the lowly scrambled egg into magic. I don't normally even eat scrambled eggs, but the older lady who does these has some technique that leaves me practically licking the plate. I asked her to show me one time, and it looks so simple, but I just can't duplicate hers.

So yes, I agree - great cooks make all the difference and they can make the simplest things taste astoundingly good. It's a talent I would dearly love to have - I love to cook, but, alas, I'm not a cook.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by violist
Did you send it back? Bad food needs to be challenged, trendy or no.
I was dining with my adult daughter, who thought the meal delightful. So, no.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.