Reload this Page >

The "Häagen-Dazs ice cream" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The "Häagen-Dazs ice cream" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2014, 2:09 pm

I was at Italy for 2 weeks last summer. I have gelato everyday at different places and my favorite ice cream is still Haagen-Dazs Rum Raisin.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA, WN, Hyatt, Club Carlson, HHonors, MRewards, CET, M Life
Originally Posted by Need
I was at Italy for 2 weeks last summer. I have gelato everyday at different places and my favorite ice cream is still Haagen-Dazs Rum Raisin.
Have you been to Fatamorgana in Rome? I would trade my lifetime of ice cream quota for their hazelnut gelato. Yum...
Old Jan 23, 2014, 10:01 am
Suspended

Haagen Dazs Strawberry ^
Old Jan 23, 2014, 11:58 am

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by 9Benua
Haagen Dazs Strawberry ^
+1. And the Coffee. Those are two of the best H-D flavors with very short ingredient lists.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Since when is "bland" equivalent to "overly sweet?

Some Haagen Dasz flavors are ok, but I'm more a Movenpick guy. It makes me sad that we can't get it in the US
Old Jan 23, 2014, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by gobluetwo
...I'm more a Movenpick guy. It makes me sad that we can't get it in the US
I had to google Movenpick -- seems to be available just about everywhere but here If I ever see it in my travels, I will definitely try some -- they have some interesting flavors.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dmel
Our one wedding gift regret. We registered for an ice cream maker, received it, then returned it, thinking we wouldn't end up using it. And now... who has the time
Two words:

Frozen yogurt

One of the easiest desserts you can make.

Prepare your meal. Just before taking dinner to the table dump 3 measures of Greek (strained) yogurt, 1 measure of maple syrup and a teaspoon of vanilla essence (or a tablespoon of whisky if you prefer) into the ice cream maker and leave to cool and churn.

Or add a third to a half of a sweet tasting fruit purée to two thirds strained yogurt.

By the time you're done eating dinner the ice cream is ready.

I hardly buy ice cream anymore, I bought the ice cream maker as soon as my child started on solids and have never regretted it. The stuff I make doesn't store well (not enough sugar, gums, alcohol etc and so freezes solid within a day or two) but it's unbeatable just made and I know exactly what my child is eating. I'm not against sugar per se, but it's amazing how little you need when you're using decent yogurt, the fruit is good and ripe and you don't need to store the end product for any length of time.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 7:47 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Can't say I agree with anyone saying Haagen Daas is overrated. I like to say that their vanilla beats anyone else's flavors. Their chocolate peanut butter is my favorite ice cream out there.

Ben & Jerrys I can get behind a bit more, I went through a phase where I ate it a lot but recently find it not worth the price.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 9:49 am

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
For those who're praising H-D, do you have or have you explored local ice cream purveyors?

As much as I love H-D's Belgian Chocolate, here in the Bay Area, we've got Marianne's, Double Rainbow, and even Magnolia (a filipino brand made in the US) that are all widely available in grocery stores, and to me at least, a step up in taste and mouth feel.

I find it really hard to believe H-D is the best most folks can get...
Old Jan 24, 2014, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by Need
Originally Posted by PokerHammy
Have you been to Fatamorgana in Rome? I would trade my lifetime of ice cream quota for their hazelnut gelato. Yum...
Many of the gelato places in touristy location around Itatly get their gelato from a supplier that is a subsidiary of Parmalat.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by work2fly
For those who're praising H-D, do you have or have you explored local ice cream purveyors?

As much as I love H-D's Belgian Chocolate, here in the Bay Area, we've got Marianne's, Double Rainbow, and even Magnolia (a filipino brand made in the US) that are all widely available in grocery stores, and to me at least, a step up in taste and mouth feel.

I used to think this as well, but recently I've made a point of always checking the ingredients of any ice cream before buying it. I was very surprised to find that certain flavors of HD (strawberry, coffee, and a few others) have only 3 or four ingredients and none of the artificial thickeners and stabilizers and other junk. Meanwhile, I've seen plenty of small, "super-premium" brands that cost much more than HD with a laundry list of ingredients that you wouldn't expect. So for me it's all about the ingredients, but of course opinions vary, especially as to ice cream
Old Jan 24, 2014, 6:20 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by work2fly

That's a point, and no I haven't. However, I have limited free time as I work 55 hours a week and go to school full time. So I try to make as few shopping stops as possible and they have Haagen Daas at Kroger where I'm already doing grocery shopping.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 8:06 pm
Suspended

I always stock up my HD Strawberry during CVS or 7-11 sale, 2 for $7.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 8:41 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
Originally Posted by KevinDTW
I used to think this as well, but recently I've made a point of always checking the ingredients of any ice cream before buying it. I was very surprised to find that certain flavors of HD (strawberry, coffee, and a few others) have only 3 or four ingredients and none of the artificial thickeners and stabilizers and other junk. Meanwhile, I've seen plenty of small, "super-premium" brands that cost much more than HD with a laundry list of ingredients that you wouldn't expect. So for me it's all about the ingredients, but of course opinions vary, especially as to ice cream
That is what I do as well, but it's more because I prefer the texture without the vegetable gums/stabilizers than for health reasons. I also like the higher than normal butterfat level. I'd rather eat a smaller portion of rich ice cream.

Originally Posted by 9Benua
I always stock up my HD Strawberry during CVS or 7-11 sale, 2 for $7.
Yup.^
Old Jan 29, 2014, 1:19 am

Programs: OZ*G, QF Gold
I love B&J's because I enjoy their wacky flavours. Unfortunately, here in Australia, B&J costs around AUD $12 a pint and only a handful of flavours are available. I love the Red Velvet Cake, Boston Cream Pie, and Cinnamon Bun flavours, which aren't available here (...fortunately for my waistline).

As for HD, I usually wait until I'm in Hong Kong. IMO HD offers a much longer and more interesting list of flavours in Asia than in the US. Plus, HD parlours in Asia are better!!: http://haagen-dazs.com.hk/html/colle...spx?lang=en-US

But as someone else said, if I'm seeking the very best in quality, purity and flavour, I usually look to local places. My favourite in Melbourne is a place which just has one shop, makes its own ice cream out the back, and has been in business for 15+ years. That kind of place.

So, it really depends where I am and what kind of ice cream I feel like on any given day!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.