Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A 1944 Article from the New York Times Describing Pizza to the Masses

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2016, 2:56 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
A 1944 Article from the New York Times Describing Pizza to the Masses

Hard to think pizza hasn't always been a staple of New York life. The New York Times posted a link on their page to this article from September, 1944, the first time they discussed pizza:

A restaurant prepares authentic pizze, which may be ordered to take home. They are packed, piping hot, in special boxes for that purpose.
Pizza, a Pie from Southern Italy, Is Offered Here for Home Consumption
Old Feb 1, 2016, 8:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by CMK10
Hard to think pizza hasn't always been a staple of New York life. The New York Times posted a link on their page to this article from September, 1944, the first time they discussed pizza:

Pizza, a Pie from Southern Italy, Is Offered Here for Home Consumption
Shame it never caught on
Old Feb 2, 2016, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I'm quite taken with the 2nd column and especially the recipe for the salad. The ingredient list includes "French Dressing" that isn't incorporated into the recipe, although it does say "reserve dressing for future use." I guess bad proofreading isn't a new thing.

A little googling on Pizza turned up this gem from Ogden Nash:

She eatsa Pizza! Greedy Mitzi! She no longer itsy-bitsy!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.