Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Can seafood all-you-can eat buffet ask customers to leave because they eat too much?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can seafood all-you-can eat buffet ask customers to leave because they eat too much?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2016, 8:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CKA1
My grandfather would be asked by various buffet restaurant owners to leave after he had a plate of food or even not come in.
I'm confused... why did they ask him to leave after just one plate of food?
Old Jan 20, 2016, 8:52 pm

They would ask him not to eat more than one plate. I'm not talking about some salad and a couple chicken balls. I'm talking about a man who would make you definitely lose money when he came in.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 9:23 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
OH MY.... you just mentioned my hubby's place he misses about leaving Rhode Island.

We finally went to Nordic Lodge just before we moved from Rhode Island to Georgia. I had resisted because I do not eat seafood.... but finally went.

He absolutely loved the food.... and ate his fair share of lobsters!

Originally Posted by weltfrieden
Do they serve real champagne or sparkling white wine? Big difference.

My friends took a road trip last year and they stopped at that famous
AYCE lobster buffet in Rhode Island. IIRC, each person was about
$90(?). They each had at least a dozen freshly-steamed big lobsters.
One of them had 21 lobsters and nothing else, in under 60 minutes.
Well worth the money... maybe.

Edit: this one http://www.nordiclodge.com/pricing.htm

Old Jan 23, 2016, 3:21 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
Wish there were some here in South Florida that would serve lobster. I always take the time to stop at the Boston Lobster Feast in Orlando or Kissimmee when I get up there. The last time there the cost was $68/pp, not including drinks. I have never been limited, but after 2-3, I prefer to get other items and have spent upwards of 3 hours with family as we are socializing and not just eating. Problem is during peak times, they are trying to turn tables as the wait time could be 30-45 minutes long.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 6:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by Tizzette
This is meant as an honest question. When it is going down the hatch so fast, do you enjoy meals, or is it just a necessity to eat?
Mr. Kipper was a very fast eater when I met him. He learned this while in boot camp when he joined the Marine Corps. There, you were done eating when they said you were done, so if you wanted to ensure you ate a full meal, you ate very quickly. It wasn't about enjoyment, it was a necessity. He's slowed down quite a bit now and enjoys food, because he doesn't need to worry about not having time.

As far as being asked to leave, while Mr. Kipper was in the Marine Corps, we took advantage of the Red Lobster AYCE shrimp promo (it was a stretch to afford it on an E-3's pay). After several orders, our server presented the bill, without asking if Mr. Kipper wanted another round of shrimp.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 7:57 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
There is always the apocryphal story of the college football team descending on the AYCE buffet and clearing the place out.....
Old Jan 26, 2016, 8:28 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Amex MR
Interesting,

On a related note how about this situation?

Back in college one of my friends was a resident assistant at the dorms and it came with a limited meal plan. They only covered 2 meals a day.

So the days when he didnt have afternoon classes he would go into the campus restaurant for lunch, which was an all you can eat buffet style and use one of his meal plan entrances. He would eat lunch, then the rest of the afternoon take a nap on the seats and/or do homework. Then eat dinner.

Two meals for one.

He was never kicked out or questioned by the staff.

As for the original question, how do people have room to eat that much food. whenever I go to an all you can eat buffet I am stuffed after 2 plates.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 8:32 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
A number of off-topic, fat-shaming, racist posts or responses thereto have been deleted.

Do not post any more such.

If there is anything thoughtful, civil, and respectful to say about the topic, feel free, otherwise a word to the wise and all that.....

Thank you,

cblaisd
Co-Moderator
Dining Buzz

Last edited by cblaisd; Jan 26, 2016 at 9:38 am
Old Jan 26, 2016, 12:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FirstInFlight
And the reference above - if you haven't seen the old John Pinette comedy video on this topic ypu should watch it. You go now - hilarious - not PC but still hilarious.
Thanks for this... Awesome!
Old Jan 26, 2016, 12:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by weltfrieden
I'm confused... why did they ask him to leave after just one plate of food?
I can see it now....

Grandpa: "But the menu says 'all you can eat'"

Server: "Yes sir. And that's all you can eat!"
Old Jan 26, 2016, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10
I work at a TGI Friday's and twice during our endless appetizer promotion we had customers eat until they threw up. They were asked to leave at that point but thankfully they were so embarrassed they went willingly.
WOW!! Did they throw up right there at the table?
Old Jan 26, 2016, 5:27 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by wilful
WOW!! Did they throw up right there at the table?
One made it outside and vomited on the sidewalk right in front of the restaurant, the other threw up all over the floor by his table. That was not a good night.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by CMK10
One made it outside and vomited on the sidewalk right in front of the restaurant, the other threw up all over the floor by his table. That was not a good night.
It must have been those nasty mozzarella sticks. Wouldn't stay all day and night to eat those for a week off.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 12:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
There is always the apocryphal story of the college football team descending on the AYCE buffet and clearing the place out.....
There's the not-so-apocryphal story of a bunch of people being kicked out of an AYCE spaghetti place for eating too much. It was Penn's crew team down in Florida for training. (My brother was on it, and told me the story).
Old Jan 27, 2016, 8:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by teddybear99
Wish there were some here in South Florida that would serve lobster. I always take the time to stop at the Boston Lobster Feast in Orlando or Kissimmee when I get up there. The last time there the cost was $68/pp, not including drinks. I have never been limited, but after 2-3, I prefer to get other items and have spent upwards of 3 hours with family as we are socializing and not just eating. Problem is during peak times, they are trying to turn tables as the wait time could be 30-45 minutes long.
I never knew about this place. I know where I'm having dinner soon!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.