Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Can seafood all-you-can eat buffet ask customers to leave because they eat too much?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can seafood all-you-can eat buffet ask customers to leave because they eat too much?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2016, 5:27 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Worth a read

http://gawker.com/my-14-hour-search-...-ap-1606122925
Old Jan 17, 2016, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tizzette
This is meant as an honest question. When it is going down the hatch so fast, do you enjoy meals, or is it just a necessity to eat?
I honestly never really thought about that... although my high school girlfriend
once told me that I looked like a hungry lion eating a zebra.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 5:45 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I work at a TGI Friday's and twice during our endless appetizer promotion we had customers eat until they threw up. They were asked to leave at that point but thankfully they were so embarrassed they went willingly.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 5:50 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CMK10
I work at a TGI Friday's and twice during our endless appetizer promotion we had customers eat until they threw up. They were asked to leave at that point but thankfully they were so embarrassed they went willingly.
'Marica!!
Old Jan 17, 2016, 8:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Lots of buffets here have signs saying there will be an extra charge for wasted food, but I don't think I've ever seen a time limit.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
I like a buffet for the variety and Mrs BamaVol somewhat agrees. However, she is a lightweight eater - more in tune with small plates than heaping plates. She rarely goes back to the buffet for seconds. In truth, we both find AYCE gross because inevitably there is a table full of crass and greedy folk seated behind us. It makes me ill to even watch someone stuff themselves with my peripheral vision.

If I were designing an AYCE buffet, I would place the bathrooms in the lobby outside the dining room. The sign would say All You Can Eat Per Visit. Anyone leaving to use the bathroom would be charged a re-entry fee. It would be interesting to see how many people would wet or soil themselves rather than pay for a second seating. And you know some would.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BamaVol

If I were designing an AYCE buffet, I would place the bathrooms in the lobby outside the dining room. The sign would say All You Can Eat Per Visit. Anyone leaving to use the bathroom would be charged a re-entry fee. It would be interesting to see how many people would wet or soil themselves rather than pay for a second seating. And you know some would.
that's just begging for a lawsuit.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 10:35 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by BamaVol
In truth, we both find AYCE gross because inevitably there is a table full of crass and greedy folk seated behind us. It makes me ill to even watch someone stuff themselves with my peripheral vision.
The very worst is when morbidly obese parents waddle in their equally obese children and they all proceed to shovel large volumes of food into their faces. It's revolting.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Badenoch
The very worst is when morbidly obese parents waddle in their equally obese children and they all proceed to shovel large volumes of food into their faces. It's revolting.
I don't think that's as bad...

I've personally witnesses a couple of skinny ladies at a pricey AYCE buffet($40)
who went to the restroom to throw up.... then came back and ate a ton more
food... then repeated it again... I didn't want to say anything because they
were at my table(girlfriends of my co-workers)
Old Jan 18, 2016, 8:17 pm

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ
That said, some buffets only enforce the time limit if they see you doing stupid stuff. I've been at buffets where they say there is the two hour limit, but because we weren't eating massive amounts (socializing at the same time), we've been there for 4 or 5 hours.
This is exactly right.

Been at a few buffets for 4 plus hours because we were just hanging out. Late afternoon, not very many people in the restaurant except us. We kept going to the ice cream bar and drink bar but most of us stopped eating within the first hour or so.
The time limit is just a way to control stupidity.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 8:44 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I like buffets for the variety. I can see the food before I choose it, sample many different things, and go back for additional helpings of whatever's good.

I'd be a liar if I didn't acknowledge the AYCE nature, too, of course. I'm a big guy, and I when I walk into a buffet restaurant I've generally brought my A-game appetite. I always get my money's worth out of a buffet.

That said, there are a few things I don't do. For one, I don't eat until I'm sick. ...Okay, I used to do that occasionally when I was younger, but as I matured I recognized that being sick sucks.

Two, I don't heap my plates full with mounds and mounds of food. I mean, what's the point? Few buffets limit the number of plates you're allowed to have. Even with a big appetite I am full after 3-4 modestly portioned plates of food. I don't need to pile up stuff 6 inches deep on a single plate like some kind of hoarder. Besides, if I did all the tastes and textures would run together, half the stuff would be cold by the time I got to it. Keep it light, keep it fresh, only double down after finding out what's best.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by Tizzette
They pay one price for one meal for one person. Doesn't say ALL YOU CAN EAT ALL DAY.
Again, unless time limits are stated beforehand, why wouldn't you be entitled to dine during the meal time the restaurant is open. So, 5pm-9pm.

You do realize that all caps is shouting?
Old Jan 19, 2016, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Again, unless time limits are stated beforehand, why wouldn't you be entitled to dine during the meal time the restaurant is open. So, 5pm-9pm.

All caps to make it look like the sign.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero

some Nevada legal brothels have free buffets in the lobby/bar area. there are no signs indicating "all you can eat" or a time limit... well.. it's not like the female workers there are offering "all you can #$%* night" (which may be extremely difficult to get my money's worth)
Old Jan 19, 2016, 8:27 am

"seafood buffet" are the two most terrifying words in the english language.

although certain locations of todai weren't so bad (you had to be careful though). if you paid attention, you could tell the difference between decent seafood and the junk. of course, the staff knew too, and kept a close eye on anyone who took the good stuff. they also controlled it by limiting the amount they would put out.

i think they also threatened to charge you extra if you left rice on your plate, but i never saw it actually happen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.