Wiki Posts
Search

Joe's Crab Shack Drops Tipping [UPDATE: Policy now abandoned]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2015, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by alamedaguy
when our service was truly terrible, I left a very small tip and a long note about the issues we experienced.
I did the same thing once; horrible service and terrible manager. The waiter made sure to stand by the door as we were leaving and told us never to come back again. Not a difficult hardship when there are so many better places to eat in Vail.

Last edited by pseudoswede; Nov 12, 2015 at 8:30 am
Old Nov 11, 2015, 6:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Bonehead
One could argue that this is "forced tipping" since one will have no choice but to pay 12%-15% more regardless of the quality of service.
every place adjusts prices from time to time.

In addition, the servers will have no incentive to provide good service..
a wage that plenty of people will be willing to sign up. Also, someone who operates on tips may be tempted to comp a drink or other spiff just to garner a nicer tip. Mystery Diners on Food Network showcases this. That behavior no longer is incentivized.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 9:35 pm

Programs: UA MP
Good, as long as they state that tips are no longer necessary (on the menu, for example).

Tipping has apparently gotten crazy (I live overseas) - when I was young it was 15%, and when I was in uni I would tip the Papa John's guy 25% or so as it was like $10, plus they knew me. I see people talking about 18% or 20% - honestly, just pay the servers a reasonable wage. Also, tipping at events/bars is also crazy as the bartender poured me a drink that took all of 30 seconds.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 12:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by Bonehead
One could argue that this is "forced tipping" since one will have no choice but to pay 12%-15% more regardless of the quality of service. In addition, the servers will have no incentive to provide good service.
Seems like a slave owners mentality, when faced with freeing the slaves.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 1:03 am

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
The good thing about tips is they can not garnishee your wages,

The bad thing you are part of the owners nightly low paid clean up crew.,,
Old Nov 12, 2015, 5:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
every place adjusts prices from time to time.

a wage that plenty of people will be willing to sign up. Also, someone who operates on tips may be tempted to comp a drink or other spiff just to garner a nicer tip. Mystery Diners on Food Network showcases this. That behavior no longer is incentivized.
What's wrong with an occasional comped drink?
Old Nov 12, 2015, 5:33 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by RichMSN
What's wrong with an occasional comped drink?
nothing as a patron
Old Nov 12, 2015, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
nothing as a patron
I used to bartend. The owner told me to comp a drink once in a while to loyal customers. Good for business.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 5:49 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by RichMSN
I used to bartend. The owner told me to comp a drink once in a while to loyal customers. Good for business.
Comping is fine as long as its tracked, there should be a way to run a comp thru the register so that the owner knows who is comping and how much they are comping. Of course its a cost of doing business.

What you don't want as an owner is comping to get tips. Which is just a nice way of saying embezzlement.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 7:36 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Old Nov 12, 2015, 8:33 am

I think it is a win-win.. for the restaurant chain. I am pretty sure $2 + tip is actually better than $12 per hour here in So Cal. In 'n Out workers with no working experience get $11 an hour here. A waiter in JCS will probably wait on 3+ tables of 2 to 4 an hour dinner time and getting $8 to $15 in tips per table. So that would be minimum $24 + $2 = $26 per hour.

What it means is that the good waiters/waitresses will go work in other restaurants and the new inexperienced waiters/waitresses will take over the $12 per hour jobs. The restaurants will get more business because of the unpaid advertising from the media. Good move JCS!
Old Nov 12, 2015, 8:43 am
Suspended

How about a living wage AND tipping for great service ?

That way we can get rid of this peculiarly American tradition of tipping for crap service.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 8:48 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
I did the same thing once; horrible service and terrible manager. The waiter made sure to stand by the door as we were leaving and told us never to come back again. Not a difficult hardship when there are so many better places to eat in Vail.
That's a time I would have put a lot of effort into posting a review on every site I could think of.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 8:52 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by Need
I think it is a win-win.. for the restaurant chain. I am pretty sure $2 + tip is actually better than $12 per hour here in So Cal. In 'n Out workers with no working experience get $11 an hour here. A waiter in JCS will probably wait on 3+ tables of 2 to 4 an hour dinner time and getting $8 to $15 in tips per table. So that would be minimum $24 + $2 = $26 per hour.

What it means is that the good waiters/waitresses will go work in other restaurants and the new inexperienced waiters/waitresses will take over the $12 per hour jobs. The restaurants will get more business because of the unpaid advertising from the media. Good move JCS!
Waitstaff in California already gets minimum wage. Plus tips.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 8:55 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Let's hope the 'no tip required' trend continues!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.