Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Healthy eating on the road

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2015, 11:41 am

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by jww947
Any hints on eating good in Germany. It seems every meals has some form of French fries. The protein is within my diet but the side dishes don't seem to do it for me. While I could avoid them altogether the alternative is to dismiss them and just eat the protein. In the past I tried to order vegetables as a substitute but what I get is less than appetizing.
In Germany and Austria if you eat all your meals at restaurants you will soon realize that you haven't had a vegetable (other than potato) since you arrived. My solution is to eat at least one meal per day from a supermarket, where you can at least get a prepared salad and add some cooked protein, and maybe finish with some fruit. This time of year you can get those nice 1 kilo bags of clementine oranges that are easy to peel and eat without a knife. But it's a challenge, I agree.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
In London there are so many branches of EAT and Leon which are both super-healthy. Outside town, it becomes more difficult - Pret is an option but it's often too bready and full of mayonnaise.

When I'm in SF, it's much more difficult. The fast food chains are killers, and I've only discovered a couple of places where you can eat well, quickly and affordably. Outside town, it's pretty well impossible.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 3:15 am

If only fast food is available I normally go for a chicken salad at Burger King. I don't touch the salad dressing, but the salad itself with the grilled chicken is tasty.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 9:30 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Depends on how you define "on the road." Different countries and their different cuisines change how you would eat.

It is really easy to eat a solid bodybuilder-type diet in Greece, with all the fresh fish, yoghurt and grilled meats around. Salads abound in France, while cooked vegetables are often the best in Italy.

On the road in the US, it is usually fairly easy to find something semi-clean in even the smallest towns, because of the very good tradition of being able to get breakfast all day in most dives. Grab a vegetable omelette, some cottage cheese and wheat toast or roasted home fries and you are doing ok.

Originally Posted by jww947
Any hints on eating good in Germany. It seems every meals has some form of French fries. The protein is within my diet but the side dishes don't seem to do it for me. While I could avoid them altogether the alternative is to dismiss them and just eat the protein. In the past I tried to order vegetables as a substitute but what I get is less than appetizing.
Here's a hint on Germany - Germans tend to be healthy and fit on their diet, which is notably devoid of hormones and high in complex carbs and beer. The low carb thing is distinctly American and fairly stupid. Also, the potatoes are often not actually fried, but take such a consistency in the way they are cooked.

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Back in the days when I had Marriott status and could go to the lounge, I would assemble a breakfast of egg whites (from the hard boiled eggs) and oatmeal with a little brown sugar.
In Air Canada MLLs, the breakfasts are basically the same. I grab 6 HBEs, eat 4 whites only and 2 whole eggs, and a bowl of oatmeal. Super clean.

Originally Posted by davie355

As to alcohol, many people are unaware that it is outrageously high in calories.
Moderate and regular - as in daily - alcohol consumption is also outrageously good for you, and certainly manageable with all the calorie information out there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.