Reload this Page >

Foreign foods you cannot get enough of when you travel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Foreign foods you cannot get enough of when you travel

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2015, 4:41 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus, Marriott Rewards Gold, Club Carlson, Starwood Gold, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
In Austria, the white bread rolls they serve in hotels at breakfast - not sure what's so special about them, or what they are called, but I love them!

In Switzerland, Bratwurst mit Rosti half way up a mountain.

In California, heirloom tomatoes, fresh picked.

Pretty well everything else I crave I can easily get here.
The white bread roll in Austria is called a "semmel." This is the type of bread they use for the breadcrumbs of the world famous Wiener Schnitzel.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 8:44 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
I'm totally not a food guy. I'd prefer if life were just pills/protein shakes to cover all my bases. But that's currently not an option.

My favorite meal is a simple one, but it's EASIEST to get in Colombia and maybe specifically Medellin because everyone seems to offer it.

Basically it's just a BBQ open chicken breast, some fries and salad. No sauce on it, but I add some picante they have...it's like a runny salsa, not sure how to explain it. You could get this at any restaurant, but there's something satisfying about a big meal like this, just given to you from a street vendor on Styrofoam at 2am in the park for like $5. I could probably eat it every day if the salad were north American style.

I love some of the other items on this list, but maybe I just haven't been to Paris enough to know the difference between a baguette there and one in Vancouver. Lots of these items (as another poster said) I feel like I can easily get in Vancouver. I'm sure that's the same for lots of world cities, so maybe my choice is more just a function of Colombia having a street food culture more than North America.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 12:44 am

Programs: AA EXP
Street tacos in Mexico. A great meal for a few pesos, absolutely delicious. With barbacoa if possible. Oh my god. Just the taco with some lime, maybe a few peppers if I'm in the mood.

Tacos are the great equalizer, just love a good street taco. Businessmen making millions next to day laborers enjoying an amazing simple food.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 7:04 am

bun cha in hanoi.
absolutely amazing and I can't even find the dish on local menus.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 8:43 am

Programs: Former AA Gold, SkyMiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by onlysilver
The white bread roll in Austria is called a "semmel." This is the type of bread they use for the breadcrumbs of the world famous Wiener Schnitzel.
Yes and yes to both of these. I swear I gain ten pounds every time I go to Germany and Austria from the Schnitzel.

I also agree with the proper baguettes and croissants with the CORRECT butter (though I'll take the croissants just plain), and Indian food in the UK (another ten pounds). Second best thing to come out of my marriage to a Brit: a love of Indian food.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 8:46 am

Programs: Former AA Gold, SkyMiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by arlflyer
Any McDonald's item that you can't get in the US.
I'm so glad I'm not the only one....my MIL lives just a few blocks from a McDonald's in Southampton, England and we hit it all the time for the bacon breakfast sandwich (with extra brown sauce!) and the horrible-yet-oddly-exquisite culinary indulgence of a real fried apple pie.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 7:59 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer - Nothing
Originally Posted by Pup7
I'm so glad I'm not the only one....my MIL lives just a few blocks from a McDonald's in Southampton, England and we hit it all the time for the bacon breakfast sandwich (with extra brown sauce!) and the horrible-yet-oddly-exquisite culinary indulgence of a real fried apple pie.
I still love the Build-a-Burgers we have in our McD's. The trolley/basket of fries is hilarious.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 2:26 pm

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
Milk tea & lemon tea in Hong Kong. Even NYC Chinatown doesn't do that right.
Smelly tofu from HK.
Poke from Hawaii. I can live on this forever.
Maltesers from UK. Tastes so much better for some reason.
Pho!!!
Old Nov 27, 2015, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Pup7
Try the bulgogi burger if you're in Korea.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.