Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

How do you choose a seat in an empty restaurant?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2015, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

I always eat alone. I always have either a stack of work, a book or a week's worth of newspapers. I always pick the very most remote seat because I want a bit of peace...and, frankly, I'd rather not see happy families and loving couples when I'm alone. (Nothing wrong with either, per se, but I'm widowed and traveling alone perpetually.)

So why - in an utterly empty restaurant with 100 tables - do noisy families always come sit by me? Not one-table-away: next table. (I'm speaking mainly of places where people choose their own seats, but sometimes a maitre'd or host will seat families in the same fashion.)

In my current locale (in the U.S.), this has happened virtually without exception. And here, the families are big. I could ask to be re-seated (hassle); sometimes I ask the waiter/tress to wrap it "to go".

Am I missing a clue here? Should I be leaving a copy of some child-unsuitable magazine open on my table?
Old Aug 31, 2015, 2:56 pm

Programs: WN or DL; Hyatt or Wyndham
Well that's strange. While I have often experienced a cluster of seated tables in an otherwise empty restaurant, 100% of the time that is the restaurant's doing, which wants to seat people together in the interests of wait staff. "Open sections" and "closed sections," as it were.

But I've never, ever seen this happen when people seat themselves. It just seems human nature to leave at least one unit's space between you and another group or person, when the space is available. (In a restaurant, the unit is a table; in other places such as say a classroom or public transportation, the unit is a seat).

People ALWAYS use the "buffer unit." In my experience. Perhaps you smell particularly good or are particularly attractive, and people want to sit next to you.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 2:57 pm

When you sit down let the waiter know you prefer some privacy and distance to other patrons. It might be they just seat people close to you to not make you feel that lonely even though that's what you would prefer?
Old Aug 31, 2015, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by fassy
When you sit down let the waiter know you prefer some privacy and distance to other patrons.
Maybe slipping a few dollars to the host will get the point across?

I would probably also trying to find a corner table and sit with my back to the rest of the restaurant.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 4:03 pm

Programs: WN or DL; Hyatt or Wyndham
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Maybe slipping a few dollars to the host will get the point across?

I would probably also trying to find a corner table and sit with my back to the rest of the restaurant.
I do the same, but the opposite. Find a corner table but sit with my back to the wall. I like to see the room. No ambushes.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 4:09 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
If in a casual restaurant, I will choose a seat near the fountain soda machine.... I like a lot of refills on my Diet Coke!

If it is remote so I can read.... even better!
Old Aug 31, 2015, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wharvey
If in a casual restaurant, I will choose a seat near the fountain soda machine.... I like a lot of refills on my Diet Coke!

If it is remote so I can read.... even better!
Sounds like being near the restroom would be better still!
Old Aug 31, 2015, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

even if youre as far from entrance as possible?

anthropologists will have a term for the behavior

technically its also easier for the restaurant staff
Old Aug 31, 2015, 6:38 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Empty restaurant, not around here. If I have a choice seat in the rear back to the wall.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 6:55 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by 365RoadWarrior
...So why - in an utterly empty restaurant with 100 tables - do noisy families always come sit by me? Not one-table-away: next table. (I'm speaking mainly of places where people choose their own seats....
Some related discussion:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/omni/...e-next-me.html

Old Sep 1, 2015, 10:16 am

I always pick the very most remote seat because I want a bit of peace...

So why - in an utterly empty restaurant with 100 tables - do noisy families always come sit by me?
You do realized that you have actively selected the section of noisy and big families with kids right? Seriously, that's where big family preferred to go and be seated.. at the back in the corner, so they could be left alone and the kids could run around.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 10:45 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Funny..... I can hold my Diet Coke pretty well!

Sounds like being near the restroom would be better still!
Old Sep 1, 2015, 1:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Avis
The one with the best light, for my Instagram pic.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 12:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
If the restaurant has a quiet bar, I'll ask if I can take my meal there. But generally, I prefer facing out into the room, back to the corner, unless there are windows, then as close to the window corner as possible.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 2:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
If there's no one in the restaurant, I take the view it can't be any good, so I simply find a better one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.