Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2015, 5:40 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
Originally Posted by milepig
And in reverse, I've heard patron ask "what's the soup du jour today."
A humorous bit on soup du jour from the movie, Dumb and Dumber

Old Aug 30, 2015, 6:41 pm

Programs: none
"Gee Wally, do you think I'm gonna get yelled at by a grownup?

"I don't Beav, sometimes Grownups do goofy things".
Old Aug 31, 2015, 3:32 am

Originally Posted by sinoflyer
Like others have said, I'd like to know what restaurant this was -- not so that I would avoid the place myself next time, but perhaps it gives context into why the waiter behaved the way they did.
I can think of one meal at Dabbous where a course was brought out without a knife and I used my butter knife. The waiter noticed, came over and said something to the effect that the chef doesn't want you to cut it, he wants you to eat it as is.

Last edited by VivoPerLei; Aug 31, 2015 at 7:37 am
Old Aug 31, 2015, 6:23 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Only once. At a mid-range Italian restaurant in the business district of Toronto while having lunch with co-workers I had a waiter criticize me when I asked for parmesan cheese on a seafood pasta dish. "Cheese is NOT put on seafood" as he turned and walked away.

I excused myself from the table, had a very blunt conversation with the manager about being embarrassed in front of colleagues by his server.

A few minutes later the same waiter came out looking very chastened, apologized profusely and completed the order as requested.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Delta Hog
When you order onion soup with bread and cheese on top in Paris, is calling it "French onion soup" redundant?
I hardly think so. Don't want the soup if it's made with Greek onions.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 8:43 am

Programs: BA Gold, QF NB
Originally Posted by milepig
the first incident was when a server came over mid-course and told me I was using the wrong piece of cutlery for the course I was on and suggested I should change. hmm - it was working OK for me!
I wouldn't be too impressed if that happened to me while I was dining. I'm a manager at a restaurant and if I ever saw one of my staff doing/saying that to a customer I'd have a quiet word with them saying that it doesn't matter what cutlery someone uses - the easiest way to deal with that situation would to just let the diner use whatever cutlery they fancy and once that course is cleared to just replace the cutlery setting as need be. Luckily I've not had to talk to a member of my staff about that as they are all on the ball with that and are attentive so they can rectify any cutlery situation between courses.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

isnt it better to complain AFTER the food/drink has been brought?
Old Aug 31, 2015, 9:21 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
I can only recall 4 occasions in my long life and extensive travels that I felt that a waiter was both qualified to advise me and his counsel welcomed.....

1. Nice, 1963 - Advisory commentary on European rabbit/hare (Whilst in my youth out here in flyover country, I had dined on Peter Cottontail and tried jackrabbit, only to find it less than appealing, I knew nothing of those wily Uropeens and their ways with rabbit).

2. Livorno, 1965 - Not really a waiter, more a street vendor, able to convince me (with my halting Italian and his lack of English) that "triglie", the humble red mullet, could be a great entree, not prepared in the classic "Livornese" method, but simply bathed in a little olive oil, S & P, then grilled over an open fire of grapevine, served with lemon, bread and local white wine.

3. Arras, 1982 - Traveling with our young daughters (14 & 9) by car in a big loop around Western Europe, the dining room of an old hotel, a grand old waiter, spent time and effort convincing my daughters (French-less) on the virtues of the price fixe menu and the additions he would make to it. So "un-French" as to amaze me. Dessert wasa choice of a chocolate mousse or fresh strawberries. Our daughters wanted both, together. With much attention from the chef at the doors to the kitchen, they got'em.

4. Galatoire's, NOLA, continuing 1955 or so until the mid 90s. Introduced by my grandfather, a picky eater admiring only the simplest of Gulf seafood preparation, a waiter who became my dining adviser for many visits over the next 40 years, until his retirement. It was from him that I learned the concept of arriving at 2PM for "lunch", always ordering only 1 dish at a time, even better when with a fellow diner, never hurry, and that a good waiter understands the preparation of everything on the menu (and is prepared to recommend or reject, based on his evaluation of your likes, dislikes, and habits).

There may be others out there whom I haven't met, but I've sure been displeased with some I have...
Old Aug 31, 2015, 10:08 am

Programs: WN, DL, AA; Hyatt or Wyndham
Originally Posted by TMOliver
4. Galatoire's, NOLA, continuing 1955 or so until the mid 90s. Introduced by my grandfather, a picky eater admiring only the simplest of Gulf seafood preparation, a waiter who became my dining adviser for many visits over the next 40 years, until his retirement. It was from him that I learned the concept of arriving at 2PM for "lunch", always ordering only 1 dish at a time, even better when with a fellow diner, never hurry, and that a good waiter understands the preparation of everything on the menu (and is prepared to recommend or reject, based on his evaluation of your likes, dislikes, and habits).
That reminds me of my one and only trip to Galatoire's, probably 2002 or so, with a local and a regular at the restaurant. Never saw a menu, the entire meal was conversations with the waiter about best dishes, best approaches, and essentially "what was good that night"? All the food was sublime.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 10:11 am

Programs: WN, DL, AA; Hyatt or Wyndham
Originally Posted by MaxBuck
I hardly think so. Don't want the soup if it's made with Greek onions.
Ah so you're saying that French modifies onion not soup....a quick google search didn't reveal an easy answer on that one. Also not sure how firmly your tongue was planted in cheek.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by Badenoch
I excused myself from the table, had a very blunt conversation with the manager about being embarrassed in front of colleagues by his server.

A few minutes later the same waiter came out looking very chastened, apologized profusely and completed the order as requested.
Or so you thought... I used to work as a bus boy in a few restaurants. Doing that will pretty much result in special ingredients added to your food. If not this time, next time if you ever go back.

Two things I learn as a bus boy:
1) How to balance a bunch of glasses of water on a tray
2) Don't piss off the person who brings you your food
Old Aug 31, 2015, 12:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by Need
Or so you thought... I used to work as a bus boy in a few restaurants. Doing that will pretty much result in special ingredients added to your food. If not this time, next time if you ever go back.

Two things I learn as a bus boy:
1) How to balance a bunch of glasses of water on a tray
2) Don't piss off the person who brings you your food
It wouldn't have happened in this instance as my food was already on the table. This event was several years ago and as it turns out the restaurant folded shortly after and I didn't have the chance to return.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA 2MM, DL D360
Years ago, I was hosting a business lunch at Le Louis XV (Alain Ducasse restaurant that earned him three Michelin stars). Our lunch was scheduled for around noon, and the guest of honor was speaking at a convention at 2 PM. The first embarrassment occurred when the guest of honor was given the only menu with prices on it (at the time, about 350 euro pp for the price fixe menu).

The next embarrassment occurred when the server learned that the guest of honor wouldn't be there for the entire 3+ hour meal event, loudly proclaimed to him, "If you cannot stay for the entire meal, you cannot eat!"

The guest of honor was a very traditional, gentlemanly type and he just said, "of course, I understand, no problem. Please just go ahead with the rest of the table." We tried to get the server to allow him to participate in as many courses as he could before leaving, to no avail.

The server then proceeded to serve at least three courses to the rest of the table, pointedly bypassing our guest of honor every time. It was hugely embarrassing.

Despite that, it was still the best meal I've ever had.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Galatoire's, NOLA
always ordering only 1 dish at a time
Originally Posted by Delta Hog
Galatoire's, probably 2002 or so, with a local and a regular at the restaurant. Never saw a menu, the entire meal was conversations with the waiter about best dishes, best approaches, and essentially "what was good that night"? All the food was sublime.
brilliant, great posts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galatoire's
Old Sep 1, 2015, 7:56 am
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
4. Galatoire's, NOLA, continuing 1955 or so until the mid 90s. Introduced by my grandfather, a picky eater admiring only the simplest of Gulf seafood preparation, a waiter who became my dining adviser for many visits over the next 40 years, until his retirement.
Was that Imre the guy with the eyebrows? My favorite.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.