Old Aug 27, 2015, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by jimquan
A view from the other side of the napkin:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/23/op...ml?ref=opinion

What timing!

A member of our party was once told by a waiter at the Topnotch at Stowe (yeah, I know zero Michelin stars) that the soup du jour was in fact, "soup of the day." What a jerk.

Jim
And in reverse, I've heard patron ask "what's the soup du jour today."
Old Aug 27, 2015, 12:03 pm

Programs: DL 2MM/PM, HH LT <>, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by milepig
And in reverse, I've heard patron ask "what's the soup du jour today."
Well, when you're in a fancy, 'gourmette' resto you don't want 'soup d'hier.'

The remark I overheard was delivered with a sneer. The question you relayed should be borne with grace and tact by long suffering wait staff.

Jim
Old Aug 27, 2015, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

eleven madison park, several years ago (right before nomad)
chit, a digital dossier we keep on every guest, new or old. Who are these people? V.I.P.? (“Soigné” is the preferred term.) It’s the first seating, so I know they’re not, but I check anyway. Have they been here before? Do they have a water preference? Food allergies? Likes? Dislikes? Spend big on wine?

A slight wiggle of my fingers behind my back means bubbles; a slashing motion, still; a twist of the fist, ice water.

You couldn’t turn the bird around, which felt natural to do, because the cavity could never face the guest.
http://ny.eater.com/2015/8/24/919537...n-madison-park
http://observer.com/2015/08/dinner-a...-madison-park/
Old Aug 27, 2015, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Aventine, are you saying you ordered the catch o' the day without asking what it was, then demanded something else after it was served? If so, I'd say you were in the wrong.

Please clarify.
I guess the attitude of the waiter is poor but it is acceptable from other posters.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 2:25 pm

Programs: WN or DL; Hyatt or Wyndham
Originally Posted by fwoomp
Mr. Fwoomp and I were snarled at by a Parisian waiter for having the audacity to order only soup, because "soup is not a meal!"
Did you crumble crackers in it? DID YOU CRUMBLE??!! If so, well it could be a meal.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by Delta Hog
Did you crumble crackers in it? DID YOU CRUMBLE??!! If so, well it could be a meal.
Ha! No, it was onion, so the crumbs would have just sat atop the cheese in a sad little pile. However, considering it basically had a mini-sandwich in it (bread under a thick blanket of cheese), I would say it counted.

Also, it was lunch, FWIW. I wouldn't order soup for dinner.

Last edited by fwoomp; Aug 27, 2015 at 2:44 pm
Old Aug 27, 2015, 2:50 pm

Programs: WN or DL; Hyatt or Wyndham
Originally Posted by fwoomp
Ha! No, it was onion, so the crumbs would have just sat atop the cheese in a sad little pile. However, considering it basically had a mini-sandwich in it (bread under a thick blanket of cheese), I would say it counted.

Also, it was lunch, FWIW. I wouldn't order soup for dinner.
When you order onion soup with bread and cheese on top in Paris, is calling it "French onion soup" redundant?
Old Aug 27, 2015, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by Delta Hog
When you order onion soup with bread and cheese on top in Paris, is calling it "French onion soup" redundant?
Funny you should ask--I originally wrote "French onion," then added, "but I guess it's just onion there," and then finally just deleted all of that.

But yes, it's just "onion soup" on the menu there.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 4:50 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Do others have good examples of waitstaff giving you a lecture or being arrogant?

I was just at a 2 star Michelin restaurant in London. Great food and great service, except:

the first incident was when a server came over mid-course and told me I was using the wrong piece of cutlery for the course I was on and suggested I should change. hmm - it was working OK for me!

then I spilled a tiny drop of sauce onto the tablecloth in front of my plate - maybe the size of a pencil eraser. A server came over with a napkin and made a huge show of placing it over the spot. No discretion, and I felt like I was put on display.
I know I would really like to know which restaurant this was? I'm sure others here would be interested. If nothing else, we would know what we could be in for or we could choose to avoid it.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 5:39 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Server attitude (real attitude) happens all the time in China. Just explain your dissatisfaction to the management and watch the server get fired on the spot, if the situation warrants it.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by Aventine
It was supposed to be fish but had I been told it was trout then I wouldn't have ordered it in the beginning. I know assumptions make me an *ss but the chef wasn't very tactful for a 5-star hotel staff member. There's better ways than coming out and confronting a valued guest of the hotel. I don't see a problem with asking for something I didn't like to be changed.
So you didn't want it. Pay up and order something else. It's a pretty bizarre line of logic to assume because you didn't like what you were given the kitchen should take it back and make you something else.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 2:09 pm

Lectures from the waitstaff

Definitely would be helpful to know which restaurant we're talking about. I was at Restaurant Gordon Ramsay recently and noticed something similar. Utterly overbearing waitstaff, taking intrusiveness to a new level
Old Aug 29, 2015, 2:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by VivoPerLei
Definitely would be helpful to know which restaurant we're talking about. I was at Restaurant Gordon Ramsay recently and noticed something similar. Utterly overbearing waitstaff, taking intrusiveness to a new level
Sounds like they've learned from the boss.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 6:48 pm

I don't know why but service staff who work in establishments frequented by the more affluent clientelle think they are one of them

The meet and greet guy at 5 star london hotels. Doesn't matter what hotel you work at , your still the git who opens doors for people for a living !

a waitperson at a michellin star restaurant is still just a waitperson

not looking down on those professionals, but just stop acting that you are better than you are
Old Aug 30, 2015, 8:56 am

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Like others have said, I'd like to know what restaurant this was -- not so that I would avoid the place myself next time, but perhaps it gives context into why the waiter behaved the way they did.

... told me I was using the wrong piece of cutlery
I've been to restaurants where every detail of the meal was meticulously planned, including the right types of flat and silverware. I've also been to Texas barbecue where only knife is provided, no fork, and they proudly say so on the blackboard. I guess both instances can be interpreted as "snooty" in their own right. Or, there are more reasons behind them such that, whether you agree with them or not, that's the way they want their food to be eaten.

... made a huge show of placing it over the spot. No discretion, and I felt like I was put on display.
Could the waiter be actually providing "service"? A stained tablecloth might be interpreted as a distraction from the food, and the waiter might be reprimanded if they overlooked it. Some diners do complain about inattentive waitstaff for a matter like this. I personally don't like excessive "service" like that, but some chefs demand it from their waitstaff.

Again, I'm inclined to believe that there is more context behind your observations, but still, sorry to hear that your experience was made unpleasant by them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.