Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Online restaurant review sites: TripAdvisor or Yelp or ?? Where do you post?

Online restaurant review sites: TripAdvisor or Yelp or ?? Where do you post?

Old Aug 27, 2015, 12:28 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
Originally Posted by MaxBuck
As I've said, my experience with TA restaurant reviews has been excellent. Obviously, I don't just pick the #1 place blindly; one must read the reviews in order to get a good perspective. And everyone has different tastes and priorities in restaurants. The photos of ambiance and food presentation posted by members are really valuable to me.
I too find TA reviews more helpful and inline with my opinions than Yelp. That goes for restaurants, bars, and to a lessor extent hotels. I do review occasionally on TA, never on Yelp.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 2:51 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Color me a big skeptic on TripAdvisor restaurant reviews. I'm genuinely curious. You use them and find them of value?

I turn into a major foodie when I am traveling somewhere known for superb restaurants (France, Italy, Basque area of Spain). There I use Michelin ratings.
I don't take my kids to Michelin starred restaurants.

TA did turn up some great places on my recent trip to Spain and made me avoid some venues. They may have been good, I'll never know. I didn't have a bad meal from the TA sourced places to eat and most were in line with the reviews if you read them "sensibly"
Old Aug 27, 2015, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zippy the pinhead
Yelp was calling fairly frequently, basically offering to keep positive reviews of their businesses at the top of the default ordering for a monthly amount of money

owner of a small retail shop that I patronize occasionally, and he told me (and I believe him) that his business was struggling to the point where he hadn't taken a salary for 8 months. From what he described, Yelp was asking him for about $300 monthly, he told them he could not afford to pay. They responded by "filtering" positive reviews, including one of my own, and floating the negative reviews to the top of the default ordering
anyone talked to owners/managers about reviews? can be funny sometimes.

Originally Posted by MAN Pax
I don't take my kids to Michelin starred restaurants.
some kids are better behaved than some adults
Old Aug 27, 2015, 10:24 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
TA is my go-to followed by Yelp. I like TA's search options and I'm rarely steered wrong by a restaurant there. I find Yelp to be a bit more reactionary.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
flyertalk?
Goes without sayin for hotel reviews.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dhammer53
Goes without sayin for hotel reviews.
i cant imagine ever trusting anything like yelp or TA
(im not saying that there is no data on those sites)

have to find sites with FT 'style' membership bases

unfortunate if chowhound has gone downhill (upthread)
Old Aug 30, 2015, 1:42 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri

some kids are better behaved than some adults
Nothing wrong with my kid's behaviour - despite my best efforts they do not share my food tastes. Neither does my wife for that matter - simpler food is always the order of the day.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i liked expensive food as a kid

im not a foodie though, and not into foam/etc for the sake of it
Old Aug 30, 2015, 7:35 pm

Programs: BA/AA/UA
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
I've had several honest reviews removed from Yelp; I stopped posting there, and discount their retained reviews for this reason.
I was reliably informed that my first Yelp reviews weren't being posted because I hadn't posted enough. This despite a ton of one-post wonders on that site. After 12 reviews I gave up. Despite careful and considerate writing on my part, none of them ever posted. Waste of time, especially considering:

Originally Posted by deniah

yelp is good as a directory, but not as a guide. pervasive dirty business on the back end really turns me off it. that their feedback system are categorized as "useful" "cool" or "funny" just speaks to what kind of reviews they encourage. they strongly push the community aspect of their site, and id much rather have a blind Up/Down voting system that puts quality of review at forefront than one that young people use as a social platform.

which leaves Tripadvisor. it rightly prioritizes reviews, rather than reviewers. but its not void of clueless contribution. rather, they just come from 40 year old kansas joe rather than 25 year old tiffany. merely a demographics thing. one advantage is that it has better global coverage than yelp...

as far as posting reviews, i only add to Tripadvisor because it has hotels and thus more travel-centric...and as mentioned i really detest the Yelp userbase
Originally Posted by zippy the pinhead
I had written more than a few reviews for Yelp over the years, but after hearing from a couple of small business owners how Yelp was calling fairly frequently, basically offering to keep positive reviews of their businesses at the top of the default ordering for a monthly amount of money, I deleted my Yelp account and all my reviews. I felt like I was being a party to a form of extortion. I suppose it is possible TA goes after revenue in a similar fashion, but it has never come up on my radar, so to speak, and I've only written a handful of reviews for them (I no longer write any more).

One of these conversations regarding Yelp was with the owner of a small retail shop that I patronize occasionally, and he told me (and I believe him) that his business was struggling to the point where he hadn't taken a salary for 8 months. From what he described, Yelp was asking him for about $300 monthly, he told them he could not afford to pay. They responded by "filtering" positive reviews, including one of my own, and floating the negative reviews to the top of the default ordering. Basically they made the folks at this shop look like a bunch of @ssh***s, which probably helped the business to struggle even more.

While I will occasionally use Yelp to help someone find a place, with respect to the reviews, I take a little and leave a little.
Yelp is playing dirty pool, and it's an open secret at this point. I have 130 reviews posted at TripAdvisor, and I still use them though....as mentioned upthread you simply need to know how to read/sort reviews. Although, you can sort by date or rating but not by review helpfulness, which seems a bit strange.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by China Clipper
I was reliably informed that my first Yelp reviews weren't being posted because I hadn't posted enough. This despite a ton of one-post wonders on that site. After 12 reviews I gave up. Despite careful and considerate writing on my part, none of them ever posted. Waste of time
bizarre
Old Sep 1, 2015, 10:12 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by China Clipper
I was reliably informed that my first Yelp reviews weren't being posted because I hadn't posted enough. This despite a ton of one-post wonders on that site. After 12 reviews I gave up. Despite careful and considerate writing on my part, none of them ever posted.
That's surprising. I'm not a Yelp insider, but I've been a regular user for 6 years and I've often clicked through a business's reviews to see the ones that are hidden. I've never seen a person with more than 3 reviews (assuming they're not one-liners or duplicates) have their reviews hidden.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 3:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
That's surprising. I'm not a Yelp insider, but I've been a regular user for 6 years and I've often clicked through a business's reviews to see the ones that are hidden. I've never seen a person with more than 3 reviews (assuming they're not one-liners or duplicates) have their reviews hidden.
I was looking at reviews on Yelp this week for a paint/stucco type product. I thought it was interesting that the only reviews not hidden were slams of the product while praise was not shown. I suspect they got it right, but I will have to go back and see if I can discern what made them hide some and not others.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 11:45 am

I do YELP, reliable.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 11:52 am

Programs: hertz gold #1
u.s resturants i would use yelp

other countrys i would use tripadvisor
Old Sep 5, 2015, 2:28 pm

Personally, I only post on TA. However, try to use all resources (FT, TA, Yelp, Urbanspoon, wikitravel, Chowhound, local newspaper lists, travel guides, blogs, etc) for my searches since researching the trip is half the fun for me. I try to get an initial list of potential restaurants first and then do a deeper dive with a critical eye on one post wonders, really good or really bad reviews, and the reasons why they rated the way they did.

I only use Foursquare to get ideas what to order at the restaurant or to help identify specials or deals.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.