Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Waiter not apologizing for mistakes

Old Aug 23, 2015, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

I wonder if others get annoyed when waiters don't apologize for things. These things are not necessarily their fault, like how I had no napkin/silverware today, but why should I be the only one in the restaurant with no place setting? How does them "allowing me" to take one from another table make it right? Should I go ahead and pick up my own food from the kitchen as well?
Old Aug 23, 2015, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by s0ssos
I wonder if others get annoyed when waiters don't apologize for things. These things are not necessarily their fault, like how I had no napkin/silverware today, but why should I be the only one in the restaurant with no place setting? How does them "allowing me" to take one from another table make it right? Should I go ahead and pick up my own food from the kitchen as well?
Did you make the server aware that you had no tools to eat with? And he told you to take them from the next table. Problem solved maybe but not the ideal solution.

I generally get apologies when the server is aware of any shortcomings: sorry you had to wait for a table, sorry your food took so long, sorry your beer is 30% foam. Sometimes that is accompanied by a small discount or free appetizer or dessert or drink. It goes a long way to soothe bad feelings.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 2:59 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Should they get on their knees and self -flagellate?
You have three options: 1) being gracious when mistakes happen, 2) reflecting it in your gratuity, and 3) not going back to a restaurant that doesn't meet your requirements and standards.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 3:02 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I'm not sure if there's a specific situation you're peeved about or if you're simply ranting about poor table service in general. Not being provided napkin or silverware is not poor service, per se. Often it's simply a small oversight. Being told to fix it yourself, though, is poor service.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 4:12 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Five Star

Let's be honest here, when was the last time a verbal apology from the waiter (as opposed to a manager or chef) has made up for a mistake/wrongdoing at a restaurant? Nowadays it's usually just a formality anyway. If you're dissatisfied with the service over something as trivial as that, then simply don't return to the restaurant. Is it really worth wasting a few bytes of FlyerTalk server space to complain about this?
Old Aug 23, 2015, 5:38 pm
Suspended

I tend to agree with the other posters on here.
Consistently bad service from start to finish probably warrants a bit of a rant both on here and in the restaurant.
But minor stuff like this ? Life's too short.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gtolj2
Let's be honest here, when was the last time a verbal apology from the waiter (as opposed to a manager or chef) has made up for a mistake/wrongdoing at a restaurant? Nowadays it's usually just a formality anyway. If you're dissatisfied with the service over something as trivial as that, then simply don't return to the restaurant. Is it really worth wasting a few bytes of FlyerTalk server space to complain about this?
You mean this isn't what FT is about?
Old Aug 23, 2015, 6:01 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond-Marriott Platinum-life
Quote:

Originally Posted by gtolj2

You mean this isn't what FT is about?
No it's about complaining about planes, hotels, and credit cards, with a few can you help me thrown in
Old Aug 24, 2015, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Isn't this part of what makes for a smaller tip?

Solution seems pretty simple to me.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 3:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MaxBuck

Solution seems pretty simple to me.
The problem is there are quite a few posters on here who think a tip should be a standard amount no matter how poor the service is.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Clint Bint
The problem is there are quite a few posters on here who think a tip should be a standard amount no matter how poor the service is.
TIP-something (rich) people pay to (poor) people so they don't feel as bad.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by MaxBuck
Smaller tip is not the same thing as no tip.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 8:15 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
TIP-something (rich) people pay to (poor) people so they don't feel as bad.
Not in the US. Tip: part of how people make a living; an expected cost on top of menu price
Old Aug 26, 2015, 4:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by Adam1222
Not in the US. Tip: part of how people make a living; an expected cost on top of menu price
Too many threads here devolve into pointless discussions over the custom of tipping. I wish more would stay on topic.

I am still curious if the OP was specifically asked to get his utensils from the next table or made that move on his own. What sort of restaurant was this? Where was it located?
Old Aug 26, 2015, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BamaVol
Too many threads here devolve into pointless discussions over the custom of tipping. I wish more would stay on topic.
Given that a reduction in tip is a rational response to waitstaff error, I think it's on topic.

Why is a waiter not apologizing any different from any other service person failing to apologize for an error? You can either get offended or move on. Moving on is healthier IMO and IME. Getting offended is of no use whatever.

(You shouldn't assume from this that I never get offended ... )

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.