Waiter not apologizing for mistakes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Waiter not apologizing for mistakes

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2015, 8:06 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
If you really want to get your point across, put in a smaller tip and write a short explanation of why you're tipping the way you are.

Maybe it'll go viral! (although maybe in the not-so-good way)

(and no, I've never actually done this)
Old Aug 26, 2015, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by gtolj2
Let's be honest here, when was the last time a verbal apology from the waiter (as opposed to a manager or chef) has made up for a mistake/wrongdoing at a restaurant? Nowadays it's usually just a formality anyway. If you're dissatisfied with the service over something as trivial as that, then simply don't return to the restaurant. Is it really worth wasting a few bytes of FlyerTalk server space to complain about this?
Originally Posted by mike2200
No it's about complaining about planes, hotels, and credit cards, with a few can you help me thrown in
Perhaps I'm mistaken, but it would seem to me that a forum called DiningBuzz would have something to do with dining.

OP, if it's just silverware, not that big a deal.

Mike
Old Aug 26, 2015, 10:46 am

Programs: Motel 8 - Copper
No it's about complaining about planes, hotels, and credit cards, with a few can you help me thrown in
Allow me to point out that this sub-forum is named none other than DiningBuzz. Edit: (Seems that Mike beat me to the punch on this point already)

Getting back on track, the OP brings up a curious point. It might be very awkward standing up and taking silverware off of another table. Depending on what type of dining establishment, you may have to endure the evil eyes of other diners. So if the waiter seemed a bit too nonchalant about the faux pas, I would also be somewhat peeved.

In my opinion, it's the little things that define superior service. One may say the OP is just being picky. However this small incident may be the difference between the OP thinking "Great Service!," or leaving with the thought, "It was fine, except for..." Having the expectation of great service is not being picky. Especially when it falls in the realm of failure to provide basic service, i.e. silverware.

Now if this happened at a lower middle to lower class sit-down establishment, I would probably just ignore it. (Although a mental note would be made.) And if the rest of the service was up to par would have just tipped the waiter in full. 15% of a cheap meal isn't going to hurt the pocket book. However at a higher end restaurant, where stuff like this just isn't supposed to happen, the tip is going to be lower (or a lot lower) depending. If the overall experience was bad enough, I simply may just not return.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BamaVol
Too many threads here devolve into pointless discussions over the custom of tipping. I wish more would stay on topic.

I am still curious if the OP was specifically asked to get his utensils from the next table or made that move on his own. What sort of restaurant was this? Where was it located?
I started walking towards the waitstaff, and said I didn't have any napkin (it was pizza, so I didn't really need utensils). She motioned for me to get it from the other table, coming over and grabbed it and handed it to me.

This was Grimaldi's in Tampa

And responding to the question re tip: I left a normal tip. I do wonder though, because you don't really want to "punish" the waitstaff but yet would love for them to be better. How do you do that? The only way to "show" it based on tip is to leave a cent, or something obvious (stating you know it is standard to tip, but you do not want to leave a real tip because of something). And yet these people aren't in the most glamorous/desirable jobs. Does that justify their incompetence?

This is mostly only an issue in non-high end restaurants. At a high-end restaurant I have absolutely no qualms about leaving a cent as tip if there is poor service.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Aug 29, 2015 at 12:21 pm Reason: merge
Old Aug 26, 2015, 1:42 pm

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Originally Posted by s0ssos
And responding to the question re tip: I left a normal tip. I do wonder though, because you don't really want to "punish" the waitstaff but yet would love for them to be better. How do you do that? The only way to "show" it based on tip is to leave a cent, or something obvious (stating you know it is standard to tip, but you do not want to leave a real tip because of something). And yet these people aren't in the most glamorous/desirable jobs. Does that justify their incompetence?

This is mostly only an issue in non-high end restaurants. At a high-end restaurant I have absolutely no qualms about leaving a cent as tip if there is poor service.
In the US, I automatically expect to tip about 15%. If there are service issues, I discuss them with a manager.

About the only things that would reduce my tipping percentage would be hostility towards me or obviously ignoring me or a request.

In your case, I don't have high service expectations for a pizza joint so I probably wouldn't even take the time to let a manager know. And I'd probably still tip 15%.

Given the way servers wages are set up in most states - getting paid shouldn't really be discretionary. Keeping one's job, on the other hand...
Old Aug 26, 2015, 11:37 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I started walking towards the waitstaff, and said I didn't have any napkin (it was pizza, so I didn't really need utensils). She motioned for me to get it from the other table, coming over and grabbed it and handed it to me.

This was Grimaldi's in Tampa
Tampa. Pfft. Try asking for utensils with your pizza in New York. You may well get a hand signal much ruder than "Help yourself".
Old Aug 27, 2015, 3:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Eh, knocking a buck or two off where that's the difference between the usual ~15%-ish tip and say a 10-12% one isn't going to send any message, but it's not going to be stiffing them either, and for some customers it may make them feel better. Even more so for people who start at 18-20% and where the couple of bucks off probably still has them somewhere in teh ballpark of 15%.

As for leaving a cent, or not tipping, if it's that bad IMO (and as work2fly already said) the best approach is to ask for the manager -- ideally at the time the errors are starting to pile up, not at the end of the meal.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 5:35 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by SimonB77
Allow me to point out that this sub-forum is named none other than DiningBuzz. Edit: (Seems that Mike beat me to the punch on this point already)

Getting back on track, the OP brings up a curious point. It might be very awkward standing up and taking silverware off of another table. Depending on what type of dining establishment, you may have to endure the evil eyes of other diners. So if the waiter seemed a bit too nonchalant about the faux pas, I would also be somewhat peeved.

In my opinion, it's the little things that define superior service. One may say the OP is just being picky. However this small incident may be the difference between the OP thinking "Great Service!," or leaving with the thought, "It was fine, except for..." Having the expectation of great service is not being picky. Especially when it falls in the realm of failure to provide basic service, i.e. silverware.

Now if this happened at a lower middle to lower class sit-down establishment, I would probably just ignore it. (Although a mental note would be made.) And if the rest of the service was up to par would have just tipped the waiter in full. 15% of a cheap meal isn't going to hurt the pocket book. However at a higher end restaurant, where stuff like this just isn't supposed to happen, the tip is going to be lower (or a lot lower) depending. If the overall experience was bad enough, I simply may just not return.

The posts you're quoting and insulting are from before this thread was moved to Dining Buzz.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If I'm the manager or owner of this restaurant, I want to hear about incidents like this so I can better train my staff.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Adam1222
The posts you're quoting and insulting are from before this thread was moved to Dining Buzz.
Where was this thread before Dining Buzz?
Old Aug 27, 2015, 12:49 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
I don't see where this thread was moved from another forum as the moderator who moves the thread makes a post about doing so. Please point out where it was posted that it was moved.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 8:32 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by teddybear99
I don't see where this thread was moved from another forum as the moderator who moves the thread makes a post about doing so. Please point out where it was posted that it was moved.
I may be mistaken about that,but it is incorrect that a moderator always makes a post about doing so. I don't ever frequent Dining Buzz and I saw the initial post and responded to it. But perhaps I'm wrong. Note the snark against a fellow community member came 4 days after the post that appeared so troubling. Shrug. I guess the people who get upset about such things are the same ones who expect groveling waiters at pizza places.

Last edited by Adam1222; Aug 27, 2015 at 8:39 pm
Old Aug 28, 2015, 12:51 pm

Programs: Motel 8 - Copper
Snarky? Insulting? Adam1222, I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion. But if you have a well thought out response to the bulk of my post, which was about the OP's experience, please do share. Otherwise let's stay on topic and leave the hyperbole + personal attacks alone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.