Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Substituting cayenne for red pepper flakes?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2015, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines

I'm making shrimp fra diavalo tonight and I just noticed I have no red pepper but do have cayenne. The recipe calls for red pepper. Can I use cayenne instead? I probably don't want to sauté cayenne pepper in oil (like the recipe calls to do with red pepper flakes).

Any tips? Thanks
Old Aug 15, 2015, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by enviroian
I'm making shrimp fra diavalo tonight and I just noticed I have no red pepper but do have cayenne. The recipe calls for red pepper. Can I use cayenne instead? I probably don't want to sauté cayenne pepper in oil (like the recipe calls to do with red pepper flakes).

Any tips? Thanks
I personally prefer the ground cayenne to flakes.

Should be fine, but be cautious as to quantity because the ground version is likely to be a bit more potent. If you're sauteeing garlic as part of your recipe, it should be OK to add at least some of the ground pepper along with the garlic.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 5:56 pm

Yes, but don't do a 1:1 swap, unless you want to be kicked in the balls.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by gustav316
Yes, but don't do a 1:1 swap, unless you want to be kicked in the balls.
Lol yes I used it and it worked just fine. Recipe asked for a tsp of RP. I used 1/2 tsp of cayenne.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 12:48 pm
Suspended

I love cayenne. Well distributed largely tasteless heat. Just add it at the end for taste. It sounds like you did well though.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 6:05 pm

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
Heat without much flavor, but cayenne to a greater extent that "red pepper flakes" (which often are from the same chiles as cayenne contain unground seeds) "loses it flavor on the bed post overnight!".

Some chiles age well and even expand/change the flavor range with age (as in jalapeno/chipotle), but ground cayenne hasa limited shelf life, leaving only the "hot" and less of it.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 6:15 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

I have also substituted cayenne but prefer dried red pepper flakes when making a sauce. It adds a little more texture and I feel I have more control when using the flakes. Starting a sauce with some olive oil, fresh garlic and dried red pepper flakes is a recipe for success.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.