Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Do you think it is socially acceptable to ask strangers what they are eating?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you think it is socially acceptable to ask strangers what they are eating?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2015, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by airsupply
BamaVol,
Would that be followed by " May I buy you a drink?"
I prefer "Would you like to buy me one?"
Old Aug 17, 2015, 10:22 pm
Original Poster

Haha.Touche
Old Aug 19, 2015, 7:53 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Of course. I've been known to say something like "hey I'm sorry to bother you but that looks great, what is it?"

Also, if I see people eyeing my dish or my drink, I'll happily tell them what it is and if I'm enjoying it or not. They often seem relieved
Old Aug 19, 2015, 11:40 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Like others have said, so much of whether it's socially acceptable depends on how you ask.

Conspicuously pointing and staring at other dining customers while having a conversation they can't hear or understand? Rude in many cultures.

Asking, brusquely, "What's that?" Also rude.

Saying, "Pardon me, but that looks delicious. What is it?" is almost always fine. Embedding a compliment in the question like that warms people up so they're more likely to respond helpfully.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by manneca
.... an upscale chain restaurant
Surely that's a contradiction in terms.

Generally I think it's ok, but I wouldn't interrupt a business meeting or a couple of lovers.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 7:35 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
My preference is to ask the server. I won't ask another diner and don't appreciate being interrupted by others who are curious.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Surely that's a contradiction in terms.
Possibly but we all picture some place when the OP uses the term; Bonefish, maybe Ruth's Chris.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I've asked people at neighboring tables when I can't match what they're having to anything obvious on the menu. But only if they've previously acknowledged our presence. If they're aloof or deep in conversation I'd never do so.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 9:37 pm

For me, it's not just how to ask, but where the asking is being done.

At a street fair/carnival/public festival I might say to consumer of the tempting item "That looks really good, where did you find it?" which often gets me info on not just where, but what and how good it is.

In small, chummy places with the tables close together, like cafes, I might say "Your meal/whatever looks good, would you recommend it?" if I was speaking to a party of one or two, but I wouldn't ask if the group was any larger than two (and not if they are clearly have a romantic time).

In a place with menus and table cloths I ask the waiter.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 7:07 pm

Like ever human interaction, it depends on how it's done

I don't really like to be analyzed while i eat but if someone casually asks and the conversation doesn't linger, no problem
Old Sep 6, 2015, 1:16 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by airsupply
So what is the proper etiquette?
Who cares. Life is short. Do what you want. If a stranger gets upset at your question then that's their problem.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 3:35 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ou81two
Who cares. Life is short. Do what you want. If a stranger gets upset at your question then that's their problem.
I tend to agree.
Although generally I would ask a server what the meal was.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 5:03 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by ou81two
Yours is quite the entitlement mentality. It's no longer my problem after I tell you to get lost in clear and unmistakable terms.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 5:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Badenoch
Yours is quite the entitlement mentality. It's no longer my problem after I tell you to get lost in clear and unmistakable terms.
So now the restaurant has a floor show as well ?
My kinda place.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 6:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Badenoch
There's no entitlement. It's just that nothing that any of us really does matters in any way. Life is short. Far too short to bother worrying about some stranger getting butt hurt because you asked them a simple question.

You'd be free to tell me that, but I can give back out rudeness far better than I ever get it and I doubt you'd want to step outside of a restaurant with me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.