Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Am I the last American not in love with coconut oil?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Am I the last American not in love with coconut oil?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2015, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

sounds like some marketing thing...

pretty sure olive oil is a lot more common

now, fresh off the tree young coconuts to drink from at breakfast can be a nice resort amenity
Old Jul 8, 2015, 12:05 am

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by MaxBuck
My solution has become to eat what I please, and to try to find scholarly articles to show my wife that support those decisions. If I find articles that say my decisions are poor, of course, I either ignore them or actively find ways to hide them from wifey.
I read an article about coffee that said it was good for you. Now I don't need to read any more articles about coffee.

I read an article about dark chocolate that said it was good for you. Now I don't need to read any more articles about chocolate.

I read an article about red wine that said it was good for you. Now I don't need to read any more articles about wine.

etc.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 5:15 am
Suspended

http://www.myfoxchicago.com/story/29482579/52-year-old
Old Jul 8, 2015, 5:58 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Ha! I see your one use and raise you 79 others.
My wife sent me this. You can cook with it, clean with it, cure diseases with it!

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbi...5651&source=48
Old Jul 8, 2015, 6:01 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
A friend of ours who is otherwise down to earth and sensible claimed he used it with baking soda to clean some really nasty baked-on gunk from the stove. (That was actually the first time we ever had heard of coconut oil.)

Curious given he's not one of the sort of people who posts all those crazy "life hack" things that always turn out to be duds, we tried it.

Needless to say, I think the real cleaning benefit came from the degreaser we used to clean up the mess the oil made.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Coconut oil is the best for use in rotating-paddle style popcorn poppers.

It's also used as the base oil source in the soap I buy, although I don't buy it for that (it's just the cheapest unscented pure bar soap I can buy.)

Other than that, I don't have a use for it. I'd much rather cook with butter.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
coconut oil: mr. kk wants me to spread the word--he has heard it works really well as lube. and it tastes nice.

ahem.

you may thank me later.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by karenkay
coconut oil: mr. kk wants me to spread the word--he has heard it works really well as lube. and it tastes nice.
Not safe for use with latex (or polyisoprene) condoms, for those that's an issue for. OK with polyurethane.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 4:36 am

Originally Posted by skunker
Ha! I see your one use and raise you 79 others.
My wife sent me this. You can cook with it, clean with it, cure diseases with it!

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbi...5651&source=48
"It's a dessert topping AND a floor wax!"
Old Jul 10, 2015, 5:51 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by BamaVol
I tried a little taste of the coconut oil (why oil? it's solid.) and there was no flavor. I don't know what the dog sees in it.
Originally Posted by BamaVol
Centigrade? I live in Fl. It's 78 in my kitchen right now and the stuff looks like Crisco. It's soft but I think it might take another 20 degrees to melt.

Okay, the package says 76. Not true.
I am talking to you now ... and not the dog. Let me explain about this taste stuff.

As you know I am a sad obsessive food ( ... or should I say eating ...) nut.

Coconut oil is really very very variable. None of them are the same. One experience of one oil does not justify an impression of coconut oil generally.

I became interested in regular evening popcorn using coconut oil for popping. I then use a commercial caramel topping. I bought some expensive coconut oil stuff discounted on offer. I bought a lot of it because I am canny and very clever ... before I had tried it. It seemed tasteless. I bought another brand ...... a fair bit more at full price ..... but it is fragrant and wonderful. I can still taste it in my mind for a few days after and think about it and yearn for it. A completely different product and experience. I use the first stuff I bought as a substitute for ghee when I fry stuff in prep for a Thai style curry. However if I do a coconut rice I use the better stuff.

Whereas I find that all sunflower oil is sort of the same - every coconut oil brand manufacturer is different. The first one I tried I felt cheated. The second one - I really would and could not do without.

IMHO.

Last edited by uk1; Jul 10, 2015 at 5:57 am
Old Jul 10, 2015, 8:58 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
Why it's only been a few decades since so many of the progressive activists were damning the large corporations who used coconut oil in their products, profiteering from the exploited natives of the islands from which the coconuts came....

Aroma and flavor? Well, I don't know about coconut oil, but the aroma (and flavor?) of the copra from which it (all, no matter the brand and price) comes is enough to put you off the product. Life on those old copra schooners was less than pleasant from an odor standpoint. I guess that's why most went for soap, bot for cooking.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 1:17 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by karenkay

ahem.

you may thank me later.
That is actually on the list I posted! It's a miracle product.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by uk1
I am talking to you now ... and not the dog. Let me explain about this taste stuff.

As you know I am a sad obsessive food ( ... or should I say eating ...) nut.

Coconut oil is really very very variable. None of them are the same. One experience of one oil does not justify an impression of coconut oil generally.

I became interested in regular evening popcorn using coconut oil for popping. I then use a commercial caramel topping. I bought some expensive coconut oil stuff discounted on offer. I bought a lot of it because I am canny and very clever ... before I had tried it. It seemed tasteless. I bought another brand ...... a fair bit more at full price ..... but it is fragrant and wonderful. I can still taste it in my mind for a few days after and think about it and yearn for it. A completely different product and experience. I use the first stuff I bought as a substitute for ghee when I fry stuff in prep for a Thai style curry. However if I do a coconut rice I use the better stuff.

Whereas I find that all sunflower oil is sort of the same - every coconut oil brand manufacturer is different. The first one I tried I felt cheated. The second one - I really would and could not do without.

IMHO.

Since we bought it for the dog, I let price guide the purchase. The brand was LouAna, they make other oils as well. I think peanut oil is a bigger product for them.

If I do buy any for myself, I will surely purchase a different brand and hope for a better product.

Meanwhile the dog is ill, having been fed everything from Trix cereal to blueberries all weekend by my 2 year old poorly supervised grandson. She can't wait for normality to return along with a daily teaspoon of coconut oil.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 7:15 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
sounds like some marketing thing...

pretty sure olive oil is a lot more common

now, fresh off the tree young coconuts to drink from at breakfast can be a nice resort amenity
has great medicinal advantages too......
Old Jul 12, 2015, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by Amelorn

For this set, coconut oil is a wonderfood: it's delicious, it's vegan, contributes to weight loss, helps prevent diabetes, is heart healthy, and can be used for applications varying from a salve for eczema to a tooth cleaner.
Weight loss? Its literally fat in a bottle!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.