Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Am I the last American not in love with coconut oil?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Am I the last American not in love with coconut oil?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2015, 8:45 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BamaVol
Since we bought it for the dog, I let price guide the purchase. The brand was LouAna, they make other oils as well. I think peanut oil is a bigger product for them.
The one we use is some "organic" variety from Costco. Definitely has a coconut aroma and slight bit of the same for taste.

Originally Posted by Firstclasser
Weight loss? Its literally fat in a bottle!
There's actually published research that the MCTs in it are metabolized differently than the LCTs in most oils. Of course, it's also very highly-saturated (but not trans-fat), so there are tradeoffs to the "healthiness" of it.

Then again, studies comparing its weight loss potential to other oils show very little benefit... like any other "wonder" product, you have to manage your expectations.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 12:54 pm
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by BamaVol
Since we bought it for the dog, I let price guide the purchase. The brand was LouAna, they make other oils as well. I think peanut oil is a bigger product for them.

If I do buy any for myself, I will surely purchase a different brand and hope for a better product.

Meanwhile the dog is ill, having been fed everything from Trix cereal to blueberries all weekend by my 2 year old poorly supervised grandson. She can't wait for normality to return along with a daily teaspoon of coconut oil.
Your dog will enjoy the daily dose of coconut oil more if you play some reggae music.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 7:36 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
may I suggest playing South Indian music also ? In Southern states ofIndia, coc it's are a major produce. They have figured out tp put to use EVERY part of the tree.
It is used extensively in cooking, and as hair oil. Quite nourishing. There is research in the West that daily ingestion of coconut oil will definitely postpone the use of Alzheimer's.
My weekly massage is done with coconut oil. You can buy it in liquid form at Indian grocery stores.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by uk1
Your dog will enjoy the daily dose of coconut oil more if you play some reggae music.
Originally Posted by HMPS
may I suggest playing South Indian music also ?
Alas, poor Princess is deaf. She would benefit from dinner music about as much as from the coconut oil. And I worry that if I she did hear too much Marley, she might be asking me to roll her a pre-dinner spliff next.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 1:15 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by HMPS
may I suggest playing South Indian music also ? In Southern states ofIndia, coc it's are a major produce. They have figured out tp put to use EVERY part of the tree.
It is used extensively in cooking, and as hair oil. Quite nourishing. There is research in the West that daily ingestion of coconut oil will definitely postpone the use of Alzheimer's.
My weekly massage is done with coconut oil. You can buy it in liquid form at Indian grocery stores.
Same with Sri Lanka. They actually make liquor by binding the coconut pod before they sprout, which causes it to ferment while still on the tree.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 7:50 pm

I'm a big fan of bullet proof coffee, made with coconut oil. My version includes grass fed butter, unsweetened cocoa powder, and cinnamon. Blended up, it's delicious!
Old Sep 7, 2015, 12:23 pm

I use it as a butter substitute and to cook with

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.