Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Sorbet question

Sorbet question

Old Jun 8, 2015, 8:30 am
Original Poster

Sorbet question

I'm planning a light, summer menu for having some friends over, and decided to do a ginger sorbet for dessert. I tested a ginger sorbet recipe yesterday that came out on the right track but is too cloyingly sweet. If I cut the sugar in half will it still have the appropriate sorbet texture?

The recipe called for lemon zest and juice which brightened it and balanced the ginger but it wasn't enough to balance the sugar. I want it to be light and refreshing.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 9:39 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Half the sugar is going to make the sorbet too icy. You could try HFCS instead of caster sugar, though, as it helps inhibit ice crystals.

(Or, if the whole thing's too sweet, find a fruit for the ginger to piggy-back on, like rhubarb, whose sheer tartness might help anyway...)
Old Jun 8, 2015, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by stut
(Or, if the whole thing's too sweet, find a fruit for the ginger to piggy-back on, like rhubarb, whose sheer tartness might help anyway...)
Lemon ginger would be good. I haven't tried this, but here's a recipe:
Lemon ginger sorbet from Cooking Light
Old Jun 8, 2015, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

I see what you mean, but I don't want the flavor to be lemon/ginger. While it has lemon in it to keep it bright, I want the flavor to be just ginger. I'm not a fan of HFCS. How about honey? Something else?
Old Jun 8, 2015, 3:29 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Sorbet question

Corn syrup does not have to be hf.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 4:42 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Liquid glucose, if you can get it. Or possibly agave syrup, c but not sure on the proportions.

Or try something like pear and ginger. Quite a subtle flavour and sweetness, but a decent amount of fibre for texture.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

organics include things like sugar cane syrup IIRC

you might try seeing if you can find some recipes from top restaurants/chefs online
Old Jun 9, 2015, 9:10 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! I'll try corn syrup and also look for recipes from top chefs.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by jcwoman
I see what you mean, but I don't want the flavor to be lemon/ginger. While it has lemon in it to keep it bright, I want the flavor to be just ginger. I'm not a fan of HFCS. How about honey? Something else?
Definitely not honey, unless you want it to taste like honey. I vote for the agave. You might also play around with a little champagne to dry it out. That will affect iciness, though, I think.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BamaVol
Definitely not honey, unless you want it to taste like honey. I vote for the agave. You might also play around with a little champagne to dry it out. That will affect iciness, though, I think.
Oh, champagne did cross my mind. Maybe the bubbles would help keep the texture light. I could try replacing some or all of the water with champagne.

Just checked what agave was and if my local Wegmans carried it. (they do) It says it's 25% sweeter than sugar. So the substitution could be tricky. In theory I'd replace the full 2 cups of white sugar with 1.5 cups of agave, and then reduce that amount some more to make a final product that's less sweet, right?
Old Jun 9, 2015, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Oh, champagne did cross my mind. Maybe the bubbles would help keep the texture light. I could try replacing some or all of the water with champagne.

Just checked what agave was and if my local Wegmans carried it. (they do) It says it's 25% sweeter than sugar. So the substitution could be tricky. In theory I'd replace the full 2 cups of white sugar with 1.5 cups of agave, and then reduce that amount some more to make a final product that's less sweet, right?
Could get tricky. The agave I use is a syrup, like honey. I use it to sweeten tea. I did not realize it was sweeter than sugar since I use it in such small amounts.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

agave is another alternate to HFCS for things like pancake syrups (looking at grocery stores)
Old Jun 17, 2015, 12:16 pm
Suspended

Replace the water with soda water. A lot more economical. I'd go hard liquor if you want to introduce alcohol. Don't use too much though and it will make the sorbet melt much quicker.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 11:59 am

Strawberry sorbet is wonderful, especially with some mint

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.