Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Do You Eat the Skin?

Do You Eat the Skin?

Old May 30, 2015, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Best part about SE Asia, you can easily get fried or grilled to crispy skins of fish, pork and chicken.
Old May 30, 2015, 11:21 am
Community Director Emerita

My father-in-law tried eating avocado, skin and all, the first time he had one. It's one of the great family lore stories.
Old May 30, 2015, 12:20 pm

Programs: AS
I eat the skin on chicken most of the time, as long as it is fried. I don't eat fried chicken a lot, so I figure it is ok.

What people do find strange about my eating habits is that when I eat fried fish like cod, I remove the batter and don't eat it. I can't stand fried fish batter/tempura.
Old May 30, 2015, 12:31 pm

I remove the fish batter too sometimes. Potato skin is usually ok.
Old May 30, 2015, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by kyden
What people do find strange about my eating habits is that when I eat fried fish like cod, I remove the batter and don't eat it. I can't stand fried fish batter/tempura.
Originally Posted by wanderlustoz
I remove the fish batter too sometimes. Potato skin is usually ok.
I can stand fish batter when it is done right. Too many times it is not edible but makes a great covering to cook the fish and I remove the batter.
Old May 30, 2015, 4:26 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Oh my yes. If it's on a meat or a potato I'll eat it. Especially crispy duck skin.

I do not like apple skins unless the apple is cut into pieces though...I prefer not to use my front teeth to eat an apple I guess.
Old May 30, 2015, 6:54 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Fruit skins fine potato skins too....

Current trend for serving crispy fish or chicken skin - complete no! I've never eaten chicken or fish skin and have no intention of starting now!
Old Jun 1, 2015, 10:16 am

Caveat: I'm strict vegetarian, so I'm not talking meat or egg skins ;-)

I eat virtually everything, minus canteloupe, watermelon, banana, coconut, durian, orange, pomegranate, pineapple, a couple varieties of squash. (...and things that I've forgotten). I'm also "game" to eat the cores/centers on fruits and vegetables, other than pits, like olives.

I don't eat avocados, period.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I think much depends on preparation. For instance, give me chargrilled fish and I will almost always eat the skin (bar a few species like swordfish and shark which have a rather leathery skin). But if it is in sauce or steamed I will leave it off as it gets a bit soggy.

Great batter I'll eat too but most batter I won't.

Sausage: natural skin yes, plasticky stuff, no way!

One of the trickiest one is cheese rind - hundreds of types and different choices, that would deserve a thread in its own right!
Old Jun 5, 2015, 7:06 am

I'm all about eating chicken and pork skin. These days, I have to fight my 6 year-old daughter for the chicken skin. I should be proud of her...but it gets competitive, so there are mixed feelings.

Pork skin I like even when it's not crunchy...as long as it's been braised long enough. Think Japanes Buta no Kakuni or French Petit Sale...it's luscious.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I generally don't eat animal skins but do eat all fruit/vegetable skins.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 9:22 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Salmon skin sushi rolls FTW
love these.

Turkey skin is about the only one I don't eat.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 11:59 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I don't eat deep fried chicken ('cept for chicken wings at a bar) but I do like to make pan seared and then roasted chicken at home. The other night I pan seared and oven roasted in the cast iron pan some jerk spice rubbed & apple cider vinegar marinated chicken thighs to put over a vegetable & couscous salad. The skin, which is minimal, was crisp and flavorful. I make this once or twice a month.

I can only eat thin skinned fruits because of a digestive disorder but I love empire apples and will eat fresh tomatoes like they're an apple or pop cherry tomatoes like they're candy.

Not a huge fan of seared fish skin.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Yes. Especially on Peaking Duck, and Schweinshaxe
Old Jun 8, 2015, 3:58 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BamaVol
Okay, some of those are just to tough too remove, although as a toddler I'm told I insisted my father remove skin from grapes before I would eat them. Come to think of it, if someone would do that for me sixty years later, I wouldn't turn it down.

Some of the skins I won't eat:

sweet potato, cucumber, apple, chicken, eggplant, turnip.

Some of the skins nobody eats (correct me if I'm wrong):

banana (although I did try smoking it in the 60's - thank you Donavan), winter squash.
Oddly enough, my 9 year old just told me yesterday that European immigrants to the United States way back in the day would eat bananas, peel and all, being unfamiliar with it and not knowing that it was generally discarded.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.