Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Do you go back to places you swore you'd never go back to?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you go back to places you swore you'd never go back to?

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2015, 3:57 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Depends. I do complain (constructively) when somewhere goes badly wrong, particularly when it's somewhere I've previously liked.

On a couple of occasions now, the restaurant management have been very grateful, and invited us back as their guests - even meeting the head chef in one place. Have been very happy to return, and see that they're fixing things (and in one case, continue to go regularly).
Old May 24, 2015, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I have entire chains I won't go to, but more because their food is horrible than any single bad meal. Chicago has a million local options and I have some places I'd prefer to not give my money to, but others must agree since most of them don't last long. I don't remember any where I said "I'm never going back" but I've certainly crossed some of my list since there ar better options. Oh, wait, there is the takeout place where you get random food in your bag. Always a surprise.
Old May 24, 2015, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stut
Depends. I do complain (constructively) when somewhere goes badly wrong, particularly when it's somewhere I've previously liked.

On a couple of occasions now, the restaurant management have been very grateful, and invited us back as their guests - even meeting the head chef in one place. Have been very happy to return, and see that they're fixing things (and in one case, continue to go regularly).
We go to one place regularly, and on two occasions I've had a word with the manager after an off night. In one case we never saw the bad server again.
Old May 26, 2015, 8:47 pm

Programs: Skyteam
Many Chinese buffets. But I go back often enough.
Old May 27, 2015, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Not to open myself up to criticism, but we've stopped going to Olive Garden for good. There will be no return in 1 or 5 years. Many here criticize the authenticity and quality of the food. I hope you won't bring out that dead horse for a fresh beating.

My problem is that Olive Garden has steadily become Chuck E Cheese, the restaurant where wild children are turned loose to run and shout and play and misbehave. Really it's been 4 or 5 uninterupted visits in a row where we have experienced this. Even while seated in the bar. So, no more.
Old May 27, 2015, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BamaVol
Not to open myself up to criticism, but we've stopped going to Olive Garden for good. There will be no return in 1 or 5 years. Many here criticize the authenticity and quality of the food. I hope you won't bring out that dead horse for a fresh beating.

My problem is that Olive Garden has steadily become Chuck E Cheese, the restaurant where wild children are turned loose to run and shout and play and misbehave. Really it's been 4 or 5 uninterupted visits in a row where we have experienced this. Even while seated in the bar. So, no more.
How could I have forgotten - I will never, ever, for any reason enter a Chuck E Cheese - I don't care who's party it is. I won't be there. Period.
Old May 27, 2015, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by milepig
How could I have forgotten - I will never, ever, for any reason enter a Chuck E Cheese - I don't care who's party it is. I won't be there. Period.
I take my kids to the arcade side only. They have fun, so I'm happy.

With that said, I found an awesome arcade that has almost all of my favorite 80's/90's video games. $4 admission gives you unlimited plays.
Old May 28, 2015, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
I actually stepped foot in one this spring for the first time in years. What can I say? There is a little boy who only has to turn his deep brown eyes on me and I'm sunk.

It was not the overwhelming, noisy, kill me now experience I remembered. In fact, it was well run, organized, and I didn't feel like I was about to be overtaken by a storm of little munchkins. Am I volunteering to go back anytime soon? Absolutely not, but it was not as bad as it used to be. It probably helped that this location has large windows on more than one side so you didn't feel like you were trapped in a cave with the entire world population under the age of 10.
Old May 28, 2015, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
If I want that sort of experience, there is a more adult version available over at the beach. A Dave and Busters opened last year. The food is okay, there is a full bar and the arcade is quite extensive although too much emphasis is placed on the gambling type devices that produce tickets.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 4:33 pm

Loved every place I've gone!
Old Sep 8, 2015, 8:24 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
It takes a lot for me to announce, "I am never going back to this restaurant." I don't just throw that assertion around casually, like a lot of people do, whenever something like a burnt meal, or a rude server, or noisy patrons happens. Typically I won't swear off a restaurant unless those problems happen repeatedly, and/or I speak to Management about a problem and Management is rude or insulting to me in refusing to address it.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 8:03 am

Yes, and I generally find that the bad experience was a one-off. If I wrote a TA review for the bad experience, I always make sure to add an additional review documenting the improvement.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 9:46 pm

Programs: Ex-5C club, Skymiles Gold
Originally Posted by jeremylives
Loved every place I've gone!
The perfect client. Every restaurant in the world wants you to visit.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 11:09 am

There is a restaurant which I used to love going to. The food was juicy and tender, and the service was spectacular. However, one night, we (my family and I) went to the restaurant and learned that it was under new management. The service was bad, and the food was so unctuous and malodorous to the point that I gave up eating halfway and threw up later that night, when I swore I would never go back to the restaurant. Unfortunately, my community constantly caters from this restaurant and every time I attend an occasion or gathering I am forced to make up a new, silly, embarrassing alibi to excuse myself from dinner.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
With over a hundred restaurants within a 15 minute walk, I don't even visit all the ones worth visiting...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.