Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

How to cook fish without stinking up the house

Old May 5, 2015, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I made fish for the first time a couple weeks ago. I'd found an article in the NY Times saying that if you cook the fish at high temp quickly, it won't stink up the house for days.

It still stank up the house for days.

Is there a better way to cook fish that doesn't result in a long term stank?
Old May 5, 2015, 9:51 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Try wrapping the fish in parchment paper and then cooking. I have done this with baking in the oven and then pan searing.

To rid the area of course open windows and clean using a vinegar solution. By next morning it should be good.

Addition: What kind of fish?

Last edited by Yoshi212; May 5, 2015 at 9:58 am
Old May 5, 2015, 9:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Not many fish I cook smell although I do try and avoid frying them which seems to be the smelliest way. For instance fried kippers are well known for filling the house with a lingering aroma....it used to upset the wife when I made them in the UK. I did read cooking them by sinking them in boiling water for a few minutes prevented them smelling but never tried it.

I now mainly poach fish or make fish pie and haven't heard her complaining.
Old May 5, 2015, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What kind of fish? How did you prepare it?

I've never noticed a smell after cooking fish, but certainly have, say, after preparing something with a lot of garlic, or meat that emits a lot of grease/smoke (like roasting a chicken).
Old May 5, 2015, 10:08 am

Go to a Korean supermarket and get some giant charcoal blocks. Korean uses them to absorb the smell from making kimchi. It takes out all the bad odor from the kitchen after cooking fish, crab cakes, etc....

Or you could grill the fish outside at the BBQ! I use a Sizzle-Q griddle.
Old May 5, 2015, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
I'm not allowed to cook fish in the house. The gas grill is right outside the back door on the deck. I like that I could do it inside without stinking up the place but I'd be afraid to try and fail. Then I would have to sleep next to the grill for a week.
Old May 5, 2015, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Its the fish oils (or really, oils of anything that might smell). Other than having an effective extractor fan... (lots on the market are either ineffective, improperly installed or don't vent outside).

If sauteing fish, try the old trick of cooking with vermouth.
Old May 5, 2015, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Its the fish oils (or really, oils of anything that might smell). Other than having an effective extractor fan... (lots on the market are either ineffective, improperly installed or don't vent outside).

If sauteing fish, try the old trick of cooking with vermouth.
It's been a dozen years and at least 3 houses since I had an exhaust fan that vented to the outside. I tried the charcoal inserts and they helped some but not enough to eliminate the stink.
Old May 5, 2015, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by BamaVol
It's been a dozen years and at least 3 houses since I had an exhaust fan that vented to the outside. I tried the charcoal inserts and they helped some but not enough to eliminate the stink.
If you do a smoke test, I think you'll find that most extractor fans aren't very effective to begin with (microwave-fan combos particularly), and I bet the charcoal inserts make them even more ineffective.
Old May 5, 2015, 11:32 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
I can't say these are tricks, per se, but...

Take the trash (including skin and bones) out of the house after cooking.

Wash the dishes or run the dishwasher immediately.

Have a candle burning in the kitchen while cooking.

Choose non-oily varieties of fish.

Set out a bowl of white vinegar while cooking and overnight.
Old May 5, 2015, 11:56 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy SE
Originally Posted by BamaVol
I'm not allowed to cook fish in the house. The gas grill is right outside the back door on the deck. I like that I could do it inside without stinking up the place but I'd be afraid to try and fail. Then I would have to sleep next to the grill for a week.
Fry outside, all the time.

The smell lingers inside. If you have to, I'd bake it.
Old May 5, 2015, 2:54 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
What about the cooking fish in the dishwasher trick? That's supposed to work quite well and it might contain the smell - you could then run a ishwasher cleaning cycle.
Old May 5, 2015, 4:11 pm

Programs: American Airlines British Airways
Originally Posted by exilencfc
What about the cooking fish in the dishwasher trick? That's supposed to work quite well and it might contain the smell - you could then run a ishwasher cleaning cycle.
Huh?
Old May 5, 2015, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Haddock.

I sauteed it in some butter and olive oil in my All-Clad frying pan. I think I also deglazed the pan with vermouth, come to think of it...
Old May 6, 2015, 3:28 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Originally Posted by Paint Horse
Huh?
You can cook fish in the dishwasher, well at any rate you can cook salmon. Apparently it works very well, i've never tried it. I think the idea is that you wrap the fish in foil and the heat/steam of the dishwasher cooks it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.