Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Fast Food Restaurants Based in a Country Other Than Your Own

Fast Food Restaurants Based in a Country Other Than Your Own

Old Apr 30, 2015, 2:04 am

Programs: United 1K (Star Alliance Gold) IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by 365RoadWarrior
One that I patronize from time to time is Pita Pit. (Canada) Not sure it qualifies as food, but Yogen Früz is also Canadian. Quicks (Belgium) seem to be turning up in unexpected places outside Western Europe...even Algeria and Russia.
Not surprising about Quick. Their burgers are good and actually taste like real food. Also, when I was in Algeria, I was told that they have no McDonald's in the country so it makes sense that someone would step in to fill the gap.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 6:47 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Originally Posted by enviroian
Pret sucks. I don't know why they can't make sandwiches to order like all the US sandwich chains to. I don't want some sandwich that was made hours before sitting in a cooler. It's no different from the getting a sandwich from the cooler at an airport.
FWIW, Pret sandwiches are made on site, and have a pretty short shelf life. But it depends on your perspective - it's pretty tedious to have to wait 10-15 minutes just for a sandwich when you go to a deli at a busy time (or to have to visit one of the big chains with plastic ingredients).

That said, I'm more of a fan of Pret's soups and hot wraps. And they do a very decent coffee in the UK at least...

The one I can't get my head round is Wasabi. Individually wrapped sushi? Come on! Decent onigiri, mind.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 7:28 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Anat - kebabs in South Africa. Surprisingly tasty.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 8:22 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nkedel
It's faster, and leads to lower labor cost -- it's their schtick.

I can't stand the food results, and I don't see it really catching on here in the US*, but the prepacked sandwich thing seems to be really big in the UK even outside of Pret (from what I can see as an occasional tourist.) Bleh.

(* outside of a few things like airports, where there's a lot of incentive to go for speed rather than quality; there are enough premade sandwiches on offer there, even if not the same chain.)
And also in some downtown areas, like midtown Manhattan (almost as common as Starbucks, it seems), Chicago, and DC. That's where I've seen them in the US, at least. Not sure if there are more.

I didn't realize it was a UK chain, so I thought it was funny when I went to London and saw Prets all over the place. I had only ever been there in NYC and Chicago before.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 12:19 pm

Programs: AA
Pret sucks. I don't know why they can't make sandwiches to order like all the US sandwich chains do.
This made me laugh. I mean, that is the name. Pret a Manger.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cubbie
This made me laugh. I mean, that is the name. Pret a Manger.
Or for the French-challenged (like me), the name literally means "ready to eat."

Also, it seems that Pret makes all the sandwiches that day and donates anything unsold to local charities. So, support your local charity and don't eat at Pret??
Old May 2, 2015, 12:28 pm

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Pret sucks. I don't know why they can't make sandwiches to order like all the US sandwich chains to. I don't want some sandwich that was made hours before sitting in a cooler. It's no different from the getting a sandwich from the cooler at an airport.

Wagawama? Also sucks. I've given them two trys. They will never compete with Pei Wei as their food quality is bland and lack of spice and flavor.
Agree on both accounts.

When I went to college in London in the 90's both the Anglo-Italian and English traditional sandwich shops, where ready made sarnies where completely frowned upon, were still holding their ground. But Pret was already making inroads and predatory coffee chains followed...

As for Wagamama, remember going to the first location in Covent Garden(?) maybe around 1995 with Uni friends. Communal seating was the main new invention, just like at Belgo that opened around the sama time.

For a more civilized version of WM, the Hare & Tortoise minichain still exists at least at the London Bloomsbury location, AFAIK.
Old May 3, 2015, 7:06 am

bon chon is a korean fried-chicken chain. the soy-garlic sauce is pretty good, but the spicy is awesome.
Old May 3, 2015, 7:29 pm
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Kono Pizza in Edison NJ is one I've always been meaning to try, just haven't set aside the time to go do it. I believe they are based in Italy, and this is so far their only US location. Hopefully I'll get there soon.

http://konousa.com/
Old May 5, 2015, 5:59 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Westjet, Marriott, Nexus
Freshness Burger in Japan. It was pretty good and much bigger than I was expecting! Good fries too.

Lotteria is Japanese I believe but I first noticed it in Vietnam. In Ha Long Bay during Tet when everything is closed Lotteria to the rescue. Saddest part was realizing my bottom bun was not sturdy enough to support the burger.
Old May 5, 2015, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

does tim hortons count?
Old May 5, 2015, 7:19 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
does tim hortons count?
See posts #4, 13, 20, 27, etc.
Old May 5, 2015, 8:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
does tim hortons count?
Originally Posted by exerda
See posts #4, 13, 20, 27, etc.
Great minds...
Old May 5, 2015, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kipper
Great minds...
yeah, lazy and throwing it out there. im sure i was aware of brand, but only ate there and saw a lot of locations on recent canada trip. would have sworn i saw one in seattle airport, but not seeing it online.

edit - i was being lazy not reading whole thread

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 6, 2015 at 12:22 pm
Old May 6, 2015, 5:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
yeah, lazy and throwing it out there. im sure i was aware of brand, but only ate there and saw a lot of locations on recent canada trip. would have sworn i saw one in seattle airport, but not seeing it online.
Not lazy, just aware of the brand.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.