Reload this Page >

Fast Food Restaurants Based in a Country Other Than Your Own

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fast Food Restaurants Based in a Country Other Than Your Own

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2015, 3:32 pm

One that I patronize from time to time is Pita Pit. (Canada) Not sure it qualifies as food, but Yogen Früz is also Canadian. Quicks (Belgium) seem to be turning up in unexpected places outside Western Europe...even Algeria and Russia.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 1:36 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K

Oh man! Lomito'n and Schopdog! That was an unexpected flashback. Just the pictures, that is; never ate at a Lomito'n in 10 years in Chile.

If I were in Santiago today --- and I wouldn't mind if I were, because it's 77 degrees F and sunny --- I'd like to have a churrasco con palta and a big, cold schop at the Fuenta Alemana.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 9:14 am

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
Went to Mos Burger for lunch today. Haven't been in a long long time.

The menu board had a list of where and what farms the food was sourced from. ie: tomatoes from this local farm, lettuce from that certified organic farm, beef from that organic farmer.

It was messy to eat and there was a great improvement in the fries since the last time I been here. Price we paid, we could have gone to a sit down family restaurant.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 10:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Any greasy fish and chip shop in the UK does me.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Taiwaned
Yoshinoya - it's a Japanese beef bowl fast food restaurant.

You see them in Southern California as well.

I love them, quick and seems less harmful to your health than a burger and fries.
I used to love Yoshinoya - there was one by my office in Cupertino.

Also, I don't understand the Pret hate. Their sandwiches are fresh and not loaded with cheese or mayo. What's the problem?
Old Apr 27, 2015, 2:58 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Agreed. I like Pret too, and was eating there long before their stores showed up on this side of the pond.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 5:48 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Also, I don't understand the Pret hate. Their sandwiches are fresh and not loaded with cheese or mayo. What's the problem?
There's nothing wrong with Pret and I don't hate them, but I got the impression from some of the posters above that it might be partly about their (frankly ludicrous) calorie levels.

You'll often see a typical office worker go for an artisan sandwich, a soup and some juice which sounds reasonable, but could easily 1,300 calories or more. That's not too out of whack for the US, but there aren't many places in the UK (apart from obvious American junk food venues and full on Michelin star dining experiences) with those kind of calories in them.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Pollo Campero is a Guatemala-based fried chicken chain with a lot of US locations (and I think I have seen them in Quito, Ecuador too).
Old Apr 28, 2015, 1:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
There's nothing wrong with Pret and I don't hate them, but I got the impression from some of the posters above that it might be partly about their (frankly ludicrous) calorie levels.

You'll often see a typical office worker go for an artisan sandwich, a soup and some juice which sounds reasonable, but could easily 1,300 calories or more. That's not too out of whack for the US, but there aren't many places in the UK (apart from obvious American junk food venues and full on Michelin star dining experiences) with those kind of calories in them.
Yes, it may well be a US/UK "cultural difference" in terms of what's considered "healthy".

My view that I find most Pret food to be unhealthy / unnecessarily fat-laden is actually based on the feedback from one of my closest friends who manages multiple Pret shops in London and has worked for Pret for many years (working her way up from counter staff to area manager). Admittedly we met when we were in the same rowing club so clearly we do have a healthy bias in our preferences though!
Old Apr 28, 2015, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bibbju
Yes, it may well be a US/UK "cultural difference" in terms of what's considered "healthy".

My view that I find most Pret food to be unhealthy / unnecessarily fat-laden is actually based on the feedback from one of my closest friends who manages multiple Pret shops in London and has worked for Pret for many years (working her way up from counter staff to area manager). Admittedly we met when we were in the same rowing club so clearly we do have a healthy bias in our preferences though!
So....details. What exactly is so unhealthy about it?
Old Apr 29, 2015, 9:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, QF NB
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Depending on your definition of "fast food", I might call the Singaporian hawker markets the pinnacle of good food, though being Dutch I'm also addicted to the "FEBO" (http://www.febodelekkerste.nl/), a slightly odd concept which deep fries stuff in bread and then puts it in heated lockers that you open with coins.
Whenever I'm in Amsterdam I always find myself eating far too much FEBO. The Satekrokets are absolutely amazing!
Old Apr 29, 2015, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by exerda
What about MOS Burger?

I've heard good things, but have never quite been able to force myself to try a fast food place, much less a chain one, abroad.
I like it. Quite greasy/oily. But they have different burgers. Like ones with mushrooms, or shrimp. And they have a rice patty as well. Give it a try.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 10:47 am

Taco Bell ... In Mexico!
Old Apr 29, 2015, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Pret sucks. I don't know why they can't make sandwiches to order like all the US sandwich chains to. I don't want some sandwich that was made hours before sitting in a cooler. It's no different from the getting a sandwich from the cooler at an airport.

Wagawama? Also sucks. I've given them two trys. They will never compete with Pei Wei as their food quality is bland and lack of spice and flavor.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by enviroian
Pret sucks. I don't know why they can't make sandwiches to order like all the US sandwich chains to. I don't want some sandwich that was made hours before sitting in a cooler. It's no different from the getting a sandwich from the cooler at an airport.
It's faster, and leads to lower labor cost -- it's their schtick.

I can't stand the food results, and I don't see it really catching on here in the US*, but the prepacked sandwich thing seems to be really big in the UK even outside of Pret (from what I can see as an occasional tourist.) Bleh.

(* outside of a few things like airports, where there's a lot of incentive to go for speed rather than quality; there are enough premade sandwiches on offer there, even if not the same chain.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.