Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

The best kitchen gadgets and other stuff ...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The best kitchen gadgets and other stuff ...

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2017, 9:57 am

Same!^

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
I'm generally opposed to buying single-purpose gadgets.

I like/want:

KitchenAid professional series mixer
1 good steel chef's knife
1 good ceramic chef's knife
All clad pans
Pizza stone!
Bread peel
Cuisinart food processor
Stick blender

That's about it.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
I like my stovetop waffle iron, even if it is a bit fussy. Otherwise I'd go with KitchenAid as well.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 3:15 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Westjet Rewards
My list of favourite tools used on a regular basis:

Waiter's style corkscrew with a double hinge - much easier than with a single hinge.

Oxo Good Grips citrus zester - the fat handle is comfortable and the multiple circular blades take off zest without the pith.

Chef'n Fresh Force squeeze style citrus juicers - easier on the wrists, no juice on my hands that sting on dry skin.

Honing steel rod for my good knives - I use this 90% of the time since it doesn't remove steel from my knives and save the ceramic sharpening discs to use when needed.

Cuisinart ice cream maker - their insulated bucket holds freezing temperatures well for a home use model and automatic settings come in handy.

Ceramic blade vegetable peeler - super sharp blade with little resistance when peeling. I store it in its original container in my drawer so the blade doesn't chip.

Lagostina pressure cooker

Baratza Virtuoso burr grinder - with conical burrs for my coffee beans. Reliable and low maintenance. I've had mine for 8 years without problems. After all, coffee is the the most important meal of the day!
Old Sep 18, 2017, 9:06 pm

Some of my kitchen tools from T-fal, including non-stick fry pan and pressure cooker. I liked the fry pan a lot, because it requires very less oil to fry anything so it is really economical and healthy as well.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 6:52 pm

Breville BMF600XL Milk Cafe Milk Frother

We got that two months ago, refurbished @ ~$80 USD, and have gotten into the habit of a steamed milk nightcap each evening. It's very nice and convenient. When we tried to heat milk before we always ended up with some residue on the bottom of the pot. No more. Cleanup is quick and easy.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 3:41 pm

Anova Sous Vide!
Old Oct 31, 2017, 2:20 pm

We have a Bosch Mixer and Blendtec blender I can't live without!
Old Nov 1, 2017, 12:13 am

I've had my vacuum sealer for 5 years now, and i got a new one recently on promopure.com. My wife is always mindful of wasted food in our home and I love fishing, so we use it everyday.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 12:29 pm

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
Mine is very simple: A 4 inch diameter frying pan I got at the supermarket for $6. Makes a perfectly round over easy egg and a perfect fried egg for DIY egg mcmuffins. Use it a minimum of six times a week.
Originally Posted by DSI
I'm going to say the Roomba 980. It picks up all the food we drop all over the place.
We have something similar. Downside is he's very good at turning the food into poop 🐶
Old Nov 11, 2017, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Larissa123
Grill mat the best gadget!
Is that a thing that looks like a silpat but sits on the grill grates?
Old Nov 14, 2017, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Larissa123
Yes, It's a perfect gadget for grilling.It helps make grilling easier to clean up and prevents the food of sticking to the grill.
I have ordered it from here and I really satisfied.
I work at a high end cookware store and we sell those. I was curious as I never got any feed back from customers. Is the food exactly like it would be if it was put directly on the grates?
Old Nov 15, 2017, 1:22 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
Originally Posted by corky
I work at a high end cookware store and we sell those. I was curious as I never got any feed back from customers. Is the food exactly like it would be if it was put directly on the grates?
I don't see how it could be. Seems like if you eliminate the direct flame to meat contact and dripping fat flares/smoke, you might as well cook in the oven. I would like to know also.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 12:39 pm

Programs: US,HH
I use them for veggies, shrimp, scallops and fish. They get nice char marks and nothing falls between the grates. I've never used them for other meats as I really don't mind the clean up too much.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 4:51 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
I love this thread and am always happy to see that it's been bumped.

We broke down and bought a Vitamix a couple months ago, and love it. Our Kitchenaid blender was awesome and served us well for years, but we've both been on smoothie kicks lately, and making up to four a day was beginning to take its toll. The Vitamix does rock.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 1:28 pm
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Unfortunately they are. I see too many (actually, almost all of what I've seen) at thrift shops where the enamel has been melted off the bottom. I did find a small fry pan in near-perfect shape for C$6 though (to add to my collection in storage).

While we inherited a Braun hand blender from my late mother-in-law, we also found one at the free store section of a municipal dump.

For those interested in what quality kitchen items and wine consuming items one can find at a thrift store...
Fantastic blog. Some of those items are excellent, discontinued and hard to find items too. The Henckels cheese slicer is an excellent tool and hardier than others on the market. And an All-Clad! What a find!

Sadly, I don't have much luck in thrift stores but do pop in once in a while.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.