Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

The best kitchen gadgets and other stuff ...

The best kitchen gadgets and other stuff ...

Old Jan 15, 2017, 12:14 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Never was good at using a conventional corkscrew to open wine. This product is great.
Secura Stainless Steel Electric Wine Bottle Opener with Foil Cutter (Stainless Steel)
Old Jan 16, 2017, 3:32 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by aceman
Not quite kitchen, but love my little pizza oven...
http://uuni.net/.
That does look like one great gadget.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wish I had a bigger kitchen. ..I want some of these things but my kitchen is tiny and filled to capacity.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by obscure2k
Never was good at using a conventional corkscrew to open wine. This product is great.
Secura Stainless Steel Electric Wine Bottle Opener with Foil Cutter (Stainless Steel)
Possibly too late for you now, but I love Trader Joe's corkscrew. $2 and it works great.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 11:39 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by uncertaintraveler
Possibly too late for you now, but I love Trader Joe's corkscrew. $2 and it works great.
But this looks so cool and is so easyhttps://www.amazon.com/Secura-Stainl...01261VEOG?th=1
Thermometer is not necessary.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 11:22 pm

Programs: In 2023? Does it matter? SPG/Marriott: Plat; DL: Plat; B6: Mosaic
I'm old school and have a kitchen under construction, but here goes:

1. Original Mauviel 7ply stainless cookware (not m'cook. Incredibly heavy but distributes heat wonderfully. 3 qt saute is awesome.

2. All Clad 6 qt saute pan and Vollrath nonstick frypans.

3. My red Chantal Honer Whistle teakettle. I need a loud one as I read to forget it's on the stove and have fried a few previous teak kettles.

4. Single hob induction plate. with 110 voltage, I can bring my teakettle to a boil in under 5 mins. Hoping to add a 220 to my new kitchen, understand they throw out the same btu s as a 20k gas burner :-)

5. My kitchen aid professional portable induction oven. Can easily hold 1/4 sheet pans or broil a whole chicken.

6. My French press and Braun grinder

7. My vintage oster blender (from the 50s) and vintage toastmaster art deco toaster. Beautiful and built like iron.....they are as good as new.

8. Charcoal chimney

9. Vacu vin and Reidel stemware

10. MicroPlane cheese grater

11. Taylor meat thermometer..what the pros use.

12. Old school cookbooks (e.g. CIA, la varenne practique)

13. Credit card. I travel 4 to 5 days a week almost every week. Between that and kitchen under renovation, I eat out a lot.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Another vote for kitchen scales. Once I got used to using it I found that it was actually easier than trying to measure everything. I just get a bowl, zero out the scale and start adding ingredients. Done. Love it.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by WorldLux
I couldn't do without the Creuset cast iron pans and large pots. Those things are indestructible.
Unfortunately they are. I see too many (actually, almost all of what I've seen) at thrift shops where the enamel has been melted off the bottom. I did find a small fry pan in near-perfect shape for C$6 though (to add to my collection in storage).

While we inherited a Braun hand blender from my late mother-in-law, we also found one at the free store section of a municipal dump.

For those interested in what quality kitchen items and wine consuming items one can find at a thrift store...

Last edited by YVR Cockroach; Feb 20, 2017 at 10:38 am Reason: adding links
Old Feb 22, 2017, 6:01 pm
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

Roomba 980

I'm going to say the Roomba 980. It picks up all the food we drop all over the place. We have a huge kitchen island and entertain all the time, so there's constantly food and dirt getting dropped on the floor.

After that, our kegerator followed by the new Costco, Kirkland Signature, stemware. They're reidel, and very similar to reidel Syrah glasses, and at $2.25 a stem we bought 8 boxes. Will buy more as we break too many of them....

We have a huge, gigantic, wood-fired, pizza oven out back. It's the best way to cook hands down, except for the fact that it takes 3 hours to heat up. We cook steak, pork chops, pizza, whole fish, veggies, etc... out there. If you're ever thinking of getting one, feel free to ask me questions. I did a ton of research and we ended up doing something custom/with stone masonry, but if I wanted something less expensive and already finished I think something like the Vesuvio 110 would be a good way to go from forno bravo.

Last edited by DSI; Feb 22, 2017 at 6:11 pm
Old Feb 22, 2017, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by obscure2k
Originally Posted by uncertaintraveler
I like the ScrewPull or the Rabbit.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 12:41 am

Agree with the roomba keeping the kitchen floor clean!! I like how it's able to adjust to many adjustments. It shows here that aside from pets, it can adjust to how big the area to be cleaned, etc. I just love it. I have toddlers and our setup is not always "very neat" every meal time. Glad that Roomba can keep up with the dirt and our chow's shedding. The only problem is its battery life -.-

and my waffle maker. can't live without it!!

Last edited by JakiHere; Sep 3, 2017 at 9:27 pm
Old Sep 10, 2017, 3:41 am
Suspended

Programs: ICQ
I always be careful that my oven's keypad locked, because my 6 years baby start operating it....

Now I am thinking of installing the oven at a higher place so that my child can' reach that.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by corky
I wish I had a bigger kitchen. ..I want some of these things but my kitchen is tiny and filled to capacity.
We're in the same boat, but our neighbor gave us a great idea... Convert the office/form dining space into a casual dining area and then twist the island the opposite way so that the current kitchen/dining space can be converted into one massive kitchen. He laid some type of pet friendly, water proof hardwood as well and it came out looking amazing. So much more cabinet space and it made the entire floor seem so much larger.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TravelingNomads
We're in the same boat, but our neighbor gave us a great idea... Convert the office/form dining space into a casual dining area and then twist the island the opposite way so that the current kitchen/dining space can be converted into one massive kitchen. He laid some type of pet friendly, water proof hardwood as well and it came out looking amazing. So much more cabinet space and it made the entire floor seem so much larger.
I don't really have many options except very expensive ones. I've lived in it this long, I can deal with it for more years. Besides, I am trying to accumulate less stuff, not more!
But lucky you! That sounds really nice.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 8:27 am

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Originally Posted by FLYMSY
I like the ScrewPull or the Rabbit.
I have a few different kinds of wine openers. However, just about every time, I'll reach for my waiter's friend. The only exception being for really old bottles, in which case I use that 2-pronged thingy.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.