Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

The best kitchen gadgets and other stuff ...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The best kitchen gadgets and other stuff ...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2016, 3:43 pm

what abut clever cutter? like here:
http://www.piratebest.com/items/23

i think it's very useful
Old Jan 6, 2017, 9:09 am

Egg slicers for boiled eggs are great. A cucumber peeler is great for kiwi as well. Neat gadgets.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 9:39 am

Interesting thread which I missed before. No one mentioned having a Thermomix. That would be on my list.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Just coming across this thread. A couple ones I like:

1) Girlfriend got me hooked on Nespresso (she had machine before I moved in) and now I'm a big fan to the point where it serves as a tiebreaker between hotels

2) Won an Aroma rice cooker / pressure cooker at trivia night 3.5 years ago at State Chicago. Shipped it home (it was right after the Boston bombing - didn't want to be carrying a pressure cooker onto the plane). Don't use it often but when we do have rice, it really is an incredible machine that gets it done right whether white or brown rice

3) Pizza stone (brand unknown). Girlfriend's parents gave it to us and it's fantastic. We use it for pizza and girlfriend also uses it for baking bread.

4) Wine drying rack stand (don't remember brand - looks like a tree with 4 "branches") - it holds the glasses upside down by their stems to dry and makes life so much easier - no more drying glasses by hand or finding space on the counter to leave them to dry overnight

Have a few other gadgets (KitchenAid, ice cream maker, etc.) but when I cook it's usually on the grill so most of of the gadgets aren't important to me (though I enjoy the output!)
Old Jan 6, 2017, 3:10 pm

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by Duke787
Just coming across this thread. A couple ones I like:

1) Girlfriend got me hooked on Nespresso (she had machine before I moved in) and now I'm a big fan to the point where it serves as a tiebreaker between hotels

2) Won an Aroma rice cooker / pressure cooker at trivia night 3.5 years ago at State Chicago. Shipped it home (it was right after the Boston bombing - didn't want to be carrying a pressure cooker onto the plane). Don't use it often but when we do have rice, it really is an incredible machine that gets it done right whether white or brown rice

3) Pizza stone (brand unknown). Girlfriend's parents gave it to us and it's fantastic. We use it for pizza and girlfriend also uses it for baking bread.

4) Wine drying rack stand (don't remember brand - looks like a tree with 4 "branches") - it holds the glasses upside down by their stems to dry and makes life so much easier - no more drying glasses by hand or finding space on the counter to leave them to dry overnight

Have a few other gadgets (KitchenAid, ice cream maker, etc.) but when I cook it's usually on the grill so most of of the gadgets aren't important to me (though I enjoy the output!)
1. haha we use the same logic.

2. zojirushi rice cooker. no equal. staple of my household.

3. im sold on this steel (rather than stone) slab... but unfortunately ive got a smooth induction top and im not convinced its the best partner for one. http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/04/b...izza-deal.html

the other thing im happy with is a pressure cooker, mini food processor, blender.

criminally underused / overrated:
-big kenwood mixer (we dont bake often but when gf does she uses hand mixer)
-cast iron skillet. too much care required for upkeep/handling. enameled ones are easier. or a heavy steel one has enough thermal mass for similar purpose.
-electric slow cooker. i prefer 'manual' cooking via enameled dutch oven.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Weber kettle charcoal grill
Weber natural gas grill
Both are my go-to for making or reheating pizza.
I can't remember the last time I turn on my oven but it's good storage space. I'm a grill girl.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 2:37 am

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
Originally Posted by Duke787
Do you actually carry a supply of pods with you? My SIL brought her machine to our house when my wife was first diagnosed and went through FBR. She was staying overnight as I was working and kept an eye on her so if anything came up we could take her to the hospital right away. I still have a couple of boxes of her pods in my house although she took her machine home when she was done.

I am not much of a coffee drinker and we have a Keurig machine at home that on occasion I will buy the Wild Blueberry from Green Mountain K-Cups. My wife was told to avoid caffeine as it effects her continuing Chemo oral pill.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 6:07 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by teddybear99
Do you actually carry a supply of pods with you? My SIL brought her machine to our house when my wife was first diagnosed and went through FBR. She was staying overnight as I was working and kept an eye on her so if anything came up we could take her to the hospital right away. I still have a couple of boxes of her pods in my house although she took her machine home when she was done.

I am not much of a coffee drinker and we have a Keurig machine at home that on occasion I will buy the Wild Blueberry from Green Mountain K-Cups. My wife was told to avoid caffeine as it effects her continuing Chemo oral pill.
sometimes we take this to hotels or airbnb places when the machines are furnished. a stack of capsules doesnt take any space.

funny enough on my last flight at the security line i saw a guy getting the full-on SSSS scan..... amongst his fully-exposed luggage items was a (used) nespresso machine. cant be surprising because ive read on FT some people bringing it with them also
Old Jan 8, 2017, 7:01 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
I couldn't do without the Creuset cast iron pans and large pots. Those things are indestructible.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 7:56 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
I don't use many kitchen gadgets (I don't like excess clutter when a knife will do the job), but I love my mango cutter...never tackle a mango without it @:-)
Old Jan 8, 2017, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
I love my kiwi spoon. Takes up no space. Knife blade on one end, spoon on the other. I keep one at work as well. The only way to eat a kiwi.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 9:56 am

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Zoji rice cooker
automatic coffee/espresso maker
slow cooker
gas range
Old Jan 11, 2017, 2:20 pm

yard sale finds I use

rice cooker ,
Toaster oven
double wide bread toaster ( for "real" bread )
George Foreman grill
George Foreman Roaster ( rare but very useful)
electric can opener , and hand can opener if the power goes out !
Oval crock pot
electric water boiler ( quicker than microwave)

all the above were a few dollars each at yard sales......
Old Jan 13, 2017, 8:40 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LAXlocal
electric can opener
Can these even be found outside of yard sales anymore?
Old Jan 15, 2017, 11:26 am

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
Not quite kitchen, but love my little pizza oven...

http://uuni.net/

Now planning on a woodpellet wifi controlled smoker...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.