Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trying to buy Swiss Emmnenthaler at a supermaket deli

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2015, 4:17 am
uk1
Suspended

I agree. Funnily enough I have recently bought myself a new toasty maker and I use emmental slices in that. There is not a lot much better in the world than a toasty in the evening.

Old Apr 8, 2015, 8:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by uk1
Exactly. They are both protected not because of the name Emmental but because it denotes the origin.

Jarlsberg is as you say Norwegian and I believe their independent nature made them feel that a completely different identity would be more marketing valuable. As it happens I prefer Jarlsberg to Emmental. I prefer the idea of Emmental but prefer the taste of Jarlsberg.

The hole truth about Jarlsberg cheese
I like them both, but they are clearly different. Another swiss style cheese I enjoy is Madrigal, from France, creamier and slightly milder than Jarlsberg,
Old Apr 9, 2015, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
I haven't had too much difficulty with deli employees not knowing the product. I have seen some that don't understand anything non-digital. A couple years ago, I asked for a "quarter pound" of salami and the guy looked at me and asked, "That's point five, right?" Sigh. At least he asked before he sliced.

The bigger issue is cashiers not knowing one produce item from the next. I've been charged cucumber prices for zucchini and vice versa. And forget about anything like brussels sprouts, spaghetti squash, or turnips bought in bulk. If it wasn't green beans or okra, apparently they grew up without ever have seen it at home and no one at the store teaches them. Do stores employ produce managers anymore?

Last edited by BamaVol; Apr 10, 2015 at 7:12 am
Old Apr 10, 2015, 4:35 am

Programs: American Airlines British Airways
Originally Posted by BamaVol
I haven't had too much difficulty with deli employees not knowing the product. I have seen some that don't understand anything non-digital. A couple years ago, I asked for a "quarter pound" of salami and the guy looked at me and asked, "That's point five, right?" Sigh. At least he asked before he sliced.

The bigger issue is cashiers not knowing one produce item from the next. I've been charged cucmbber prices for zucchini and vice versa. And forget about anything like brussels sprouts, spaghetti squash, or turnips bought in bulk. If it wasn't green beans or okra, apparently they grew up without ever have seen it at home and no one at the store teaches them. Do stores employ produce managers anymore?
Everytime I buy Bok Choy, they say now what's this.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Paint Horse
Everytime I buy Bok Choy, they say now what's this.
Which is your opportunity to pay $0.59/lb instead of $1.99 when you reply "cabbage".
Old Apr 10, 2015, 9:21 am

Which is your opportunity to pay $0.59/lb instead of $1.99 when you reply "cabbage".
Hum, an interesting idea.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Paint Horse
Hum, an interesting idea.
You might even say "Chinese Cabbage" and let them search until they eventually hit the code for $0.59/lb cabbage because they can't find it even with pictures on the register screen.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The bigger issue is cashiers not knowing one produce item from the next. I've been charged cucumber prices for zucchini and vice versa. And forget about anything like brussels sprouts, spaghetti squash, or turnips bought in bulk. If it wasn't green beans or okra, apparently they grew up without ever have seen it at home and no one at the store teaches them. Do stores employ produce managers anymore?
Ugh, yes. I asked for 2/3 lb of something once and the lady looked confused, so I said "it's point six six" and she was even more confused, saying "I don't know point six". So I settled for half a pound.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 5:04 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Ugh, yes. I asked for 2/3 lb of something once and the lady looked confused, so I said "it's point six six" and she was even more confused, saying "I don't know point six". So I settled for half a pound.
Since 2/3 = 0.67 (rounded) , so 0.66 was nearly exact; not like in post #18--1/4 lb = 0.5

If one is buying sliced "anything" in a deli, don't they add one slice at a time until they reach (nearly) the requested amt., I don't understand the "bolded" quote.

PS: Cheese always tastes better in a chunk--slicing it, tends to reduce its flavor. [IMHO]
Old Apr 12, 2015, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by nrr
Since 2/3 = 0.67 (rounded) , so 0.66 was nearly exact; not like in post #18--1/4 lb = 0.5

If one is buying sliced "anything" in a deli, don't they add one slice at a time until they reach (nearly) the requested amt., I don't understand the "bolded" quote.

PS: Cheese always tastes better in a chunk--slicing it, tends to reduce its flavor. [IMHO]
No, they slice off a bunch, throw it on the scale, and look at you to see if it is close enough.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by zehbra
Personal opinion: I don't get what all the rave about Emmental cheese is about. I find it utterly utterly boring and I'm a bit sad that this is (probably?) the most exported/most well recognized Swiss cheese abroad. My sister used to eat it with ketchup. Definitely not a sign of quality for the cheese

<snip>
It might have occured to you that this statement also makes a point of your sisters taste
Old Apr 16, 2015, 6:41 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: QR Privilege Club Gold; Accor LeClub Platinum
Originally Posted by onobond
It might have occured to you that this statement also makes a point of your sisters taste
Not to worry, she is being ridiculed for it every chance i get

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.