Search

Deceptive Menu Items

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2015, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by BamaVol
Quote:

Originally Posted by Paint Horse

Beans? Beans? In chili? Yuck, puh, gag.

If the full name is "Chil con Carne", what do you have when you subtract the meat and would anyone eat that? I wouldn't. Give me beans. Plus they're good for the heart.
+1

Don't care if that renders it un-authentic for the purists or not, gotta have beans
Old Apr 1, 2015, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by VivoPerLei
+1

Don't care if that renders it un-authentic for the purists or not, gotta have beans
I'm a purist, but I have no problems with beans being served on the side. Hell, throw them in with the chili, if you like along with any of the suggested additions that TMOliver mentions, but for God's sake don't cook the beans with the chili. That's where a mortal sin gets committed. lol
Old Apr 1, 2015, 3:33 pm

Programs: American Airlines British Airways
Originally Posted by TMOliver
"Cheap beef" is usually fatty, although when using the beef from fresh-killed un-fattened "Corrientes" (range cattle), a large dollop of kidney fat comes in handy for browning.

Tomato sauce? I've seen growed men judging chili-cookoffs fall on the ground, seized by fits, chewing thorny brushado, and frothing at the mouth, having discovered that some novillero has throwed tomato sauce or paste in the chili. Next you'll be wanting to throw a handful of mesquite beans and a teacup of buffler gall.

The only excuses for tomatoes occurs when cooking chili in the morning and needing a Bloody Mary or for mixing Sangrita (Orange Juice, Tomato Juice, Lime Juice, Salt, Chile Pequin) to chase good Tequila or bad Mescal.
All the flavor of beef is in the fat, as it is in most things. Just because you cut it off, and then add it back does not make beef cheap. Besides the best chili is made from ground beef anyway. It needs some fat in it.

In the old days during one of the summers I worked at the packing house I was in charge of the production of ground beef. The carefully calibrated scientific method used to produce the proper amount of beef to fat was the easiest for the 33 percent fat ground beef used by the school district. Two shovel fulls of beef chunks to one shovel full of fat chunks, chunked that is into the hopper on top of the grinder. Very tasty.

You are incorrect. My mother said a bowl of red requires tomato sauce. Not much, but some.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 7:53 am

Programs: AA
We make it with both beef and beans in Illinois, and we spell it "chilli". I just mention that so the no-bean "chili" purists can think of it as a different dish if they prefer.

I meant to add this link to a letter to the NY Times from the late Senator Alan Dixon, which includes his own chilli recipe.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Apr 4, 2015 at 7:13 pm Reason: merge
Old Apr 2, 2015, 8:33 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
Originally Posted by cubbie
We make it with both beef and beans in Illinois, and we spell it "chilli". I just mention that so the no-bean "chili" purists can think of it as a different dish if they prefer.
Shoot! In Illinois they even make chili/chilli with ground meat, a custom translated from the Wendy's recipe book which seems to include green (bell) pepper along with beans (often those godless "Kidney beans").

Fixed that way, Chili becomes little more than that famous US Navy breakfast dish served atop cold toast, ".... on a Shingle"/"SOS".

I did once eat some pretty good chili with added tomato. The cook throwed in a bottle of otherwise undrinkable Bloody Mary Mix, and we drank the vodka neat. I have another friend whose chili uses black coffee, but then we're transgressing upon the broad general category of "Mole", and I guess a little dark chocolate would work too.

I once, in my youth, met Wick Fowler. He was a PR man, and even Frank Tolbert claimed his knowledge of Chili was purely promotional. Anyway. by the time you drive the long dusty road to Terlingua, you can tolerate all sorts of culinary excess, even if you stop for a dip and a sixpack at Balmorhea.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Apr 4, 2015 at 6:49 pm Reason: language
Old Apr 2, 2015, 12:11 pm

Back when cowtown was indeed cowtown, the big managers of the packing house always came from Chicago. When I was about 10 the latest one invited my father and the family over for dinner. To make use feel at home his wife, as I see now, decided to serve chilli. When shown what I was going to be having for dinner I said the 10 year old equivalent of "What in the he** is this cr**. I am not eating this ...." I can still see that house's kitchen for some reason. Fortunately none of the imported from Chicago managers stayed long.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Apr 4, 2015 at 6:45 pm Reason: language
Old Apr 2, 2015, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by Paint Horse
Back when cowtown was indeed cowtown, the big managers of the packing house always came from Chicago. When I was about 10 the latest one invited my father and the family over for dinner. To make use feel at home his wife, as I see now, decided to serve chilli. When shown what I was going to be having for dinner I said the 10 year old equivalent of "What in the he** is this cr**. I am not eating this ....." I can still see that house's kitchen for some reason. Fortunately none of the imported from Chicago managers stayed long.
A little OT, but it reminds me of a story my first boss, Al Kruse told me. He was invited to dinner at the home of a co-worker. The co-worker was from Mexico and Al was hoping for/expecting an authentic Mexican home cooked meal. He was served cheeseburgers. When he asked his co-worker later on, he was told that she thought he was Mexican too since his name was Cruz and he would want something authentically American.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Apr 4, 2015 at 6:46 pm Reason: quote
Old Apr 2, 2015, 1:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Delta Hog
Can a restaurant just take a standard food label and slap it on something else? "Well, around here our cheeseburgers are served on white bread, and the only ingredients are peanut butter and jelly. Cheeseburger is just what we call it."

Any other experiences like this?
It's not illegal. They would be liable under civil law if they have breached their contract with you as the diner. You could just voice your concerns and almost everywhere would send something back. I'm not sure how this is threadworthy.

Originally Posted by cubbie
Real chili purists would stick to the old school way of preparation as a way of stabilizing beef without the use of refrigeration. That would include dried beef (not fresh), suet, dried chili pepper and salt. That all gets smashed together, formed in to cubes and dried. People using anything else including fresh meat, pepper, beer, herbs, spices, onion, vinegar, wine and those not using suet are NOT purists. That would encompass pretty much every pompous *** that claims to be such.

Chili like sandwiches, sausages, barbeque, etc, can mean different things for different people in different places. There's no need to look down on people who put a different spin on things.

Last edited by ou81two; Apr 2, 2015 at 1:49 pm
Old Apr 2, 2015, 4:14 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Remind me not to invite any of you people over for chilli ever. Cos in those house it involves kidney beans, bell peppers and copious amounts of tomato
Old Apr 3, 2015, 8:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: WN, DL, AA; Hyatt or Wyndham
Originally Posted by ou81two
It's not illegal. They would be liable under civil law if they have breached their contract with you as the diner. You could just voice your concerns and almost everywhere would send something back. I'm not sure how this is threadworthy.
It was just a conversation item...and this is the dining section of a travel message board, not the filing website of the federal district court.

Hey, it's made it to 4+ pages, so there must be something there.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 12:12 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by ou81two
Real chili purists would stick to the old school way of preparation as a way of stabilizing beef without the use of refrigeration. That would include dried beef (not fresh), suet, dried chili pepper and salt. That all gets smashed together, formed in to cubes and dried. People using anything else including fresh meat, pepper, beer, herbs, spices, onion, vinegar, wine and those not using suet are NOT purists. That would encompass pretty much every pompous *** that claims to be such. Chili like sandwiches, sausages, barbeque, etc, can mean different things for different people in different places. There's no need to look down on people who put a different spin on things.
Your post reminds of my dad's descriptions of his childhood memories of chili/chilli being cooked starting from a block of fat and meat and seasonings. He grew up poor in downstate Illinois during the Depression. His lifelong favorite storebought/restaurant chilli was the local favorite, Taylor's, made in Carlinville, Illinois. A box comes with two cans that you open and mix: one with kidney beans, and one with a thick paste of meat, fat, and seasonings. Any of us kids who go downstate to visit are expected to bring back at least a half a dozen boxes of Taylor's chilli to share with those who weren't able to make the trip.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Welsh rabbit.

I mean, how much more deceptive can you get? It's not Welsh, and it contains no rabbit whatsoever.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 7:05 am

When I was a kid my older brother used to eat that. I kept going over in my mind, welsh rabbit, welsh rabbit? I never saw any ears or legs sticking out of it. I was very confused.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by MaxBuck
Welsh rabbit.

I mean, how much more deceptive can you get? It's not Welsh, and it contains no rabbit whatsoever.
I've never once heard it referred to as Welsh rabbit, and at first I thought you were having a laugh. Google tells me that is the original name, so go figure!
Old Apr 4, 2015, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN, DL, AA; Hyatt or Wyndham
Originally Posted by VivoPerLei
I've never once heard it referred to as Welsh rabbit, and at first I thought you were having a laugh. Google tells me that is the original name, so go figure!
Welsh rarebit....rabbit as a variation I guess.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.