Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Can you depend on a server's recommendation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can you depend on a server's recommendation?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2015, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I routinely find two or three items that appeal to be equally. I'll then ask the server which he or her recommends. It's pretty easy to tell from their enthusiasm or lack thereof whether to move ahead with one of them. And they are choosing between items whose description appeals to me, so I have found this very effective.
This.

If a server says "X is very popular," I'll then ask "but do you like it?"

It is also telling if a server pushes the most expensive this and that, whether it be a menu item or a wine. I recently had a waiter down-sell me on a bottle of wine by about $50. Based upon our conversation, and his previous taste of the wine, he thought it wouldn't be what I was looking for (i.e., not the style one would anticipate from the particular selection). That was a great waiter, and I took his suggestions for pretty much everything.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 12:36 pm

I listen to recommendations unless I think I'm getting an upsell. Just recently in a restaurant I go to often, I asked the server if they were getting a lot of orders for a chicken dish I was thinking about. She gave me a funny look and said "not many". I ordered it anyway, the chicken came out dry and I switched to the sushi special. I gave some feedback to the manager and they were very nice about it all.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 7:19 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Danger Will Robinson

Multiple posts have been deleted from this thread. They were off-topic/rude/personal attacks/etc. Take those discussions elsewhere - not here. Or get a room. Please stick to the topic.

Thanks for your cooperation.

iluv2fly
Moderator, DiningBuzz
Old Jul 29, 2015, 3:07 pm

Programs: Somewhere in my wallet
As someone who worked in restaurants and bars for a decade, NO. Unless your server is very familiar with your tastes and knows you as an individual, do not depend on his or her recommendation. If the kitchen wants to push an item for whatever reason (too much was delivered, it's going bad, test-driving a new preparation, restaurant is overbooked and the recommendation is easy to prep), the restaurant will often run a contest for servers. Whoever sells the most of it goes home with a bottle of wine (or free dinner, or bottle of scotch, or whatever).
Old Jul 31, 2015, 10:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
If obviously depends on the restaurant and the server a lot. I often ask for suggestions but I almost always give them two or three to choose among rather than the entire menu.

We had dinner tonight at a very good Japanese restaurant at which we are regulars. Excellent fish. We each ordered an appetizer. The manager and sushi chefs picked everything else, all sashimi, based on what they had available today. Back when Honmura An was in New York we were regulars, and even now when I have visited them in Tokyo I typically would pick at most one small dish, tell them which type soba to finish with and ask the owner to pick the rest of the meal. It obviously helps for them to know you when you give them that kind of latitude.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 8:34 am

Programs: Somewhere in my wallet
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
If obviously depends on the restaurant and the server a lot. I often ask for suggestions but I almost always give them two or three to choose among rather than the entire menu.

We had dinner tonight at a very good Japanese restaurant at which we are regulars. Excellent fish. We each ordered an appetizer. The manager and sushi chefs picked everything else, all sashimi, based on what they had available today. Back when Honmura An was in New York we were regulars, and even now when I have visited them in Tokyo I typically would pick at most one small dish, tell them which type soba to finish with and ask the owner to pick the rest of the meal. It obviously helps for them to know you when you give them that kind of latitude.
Sushi places are different - there you are communicating directly with the people preparing your food. Ownership typically limits this kind of interaction to employees that are trusted, which explains why bartenders are higher on the totem pole than servers.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 8:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by GatoAndaluz
Sushi places are different - there you are communicating directly with the people preparing your food. Ownership typically limits this kind of interaction to employees that are trusted, which explains why bartenders are higher on the totem pole than servers.
One of the places isn't sushi, but your point is well taken. Actually in both of those cases we communicate directly with the owner.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 6:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
I will sometimes ask for suggestions if I've narrowed it down to a couple choices, but I will only take their advice if it seems like they actually know what they are talking about. Even at upscale restaurants, I'm often surprised at how little the staff knows about what is being served and how it tastes...and it doesn't come off as them being polite (e.g. not wanting to say anything bad).
Old Aug 7, 2015, 10:08 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
When I'm looking for a very broad suggestion I'll usually ask about the house specialty. For example, "Which one or two dishes is your chef is especially proud of?"

Often, despite my best efforts, the server answers with, "Our most popular dishes are...." That's not the same thing.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 6:35 pm

I may sometimes ask opinion between 2-3 different dishes, usually in smaller restaurant with limited menu. In a restaurant with 5 page menu I wouldn't bother as the answer would probably be : xxx is really popular.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 5:55 am

Programs: w/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez; SG Silver
Originally Posted by BamaVol
That's an excellent suggestion.

I hate a server coming to the table and telling me what he had for dinner or what his favorites are. My taste and preferences are probably different. Maybe I'm even allergic to his favorite meal. I also despise being told "great choice". It just comes off as he's full of crap. And, just my observation here, it's always the male servers that do this.
A pet peeve of mine, too. I've asked servers if they are joining me for dinner. I may try the other member's suggestion to ask what NOT to order. If they can't think of anything, I will provide my own list from my previous visits. It might not be nice but the server started it. On second thought, I shouldn't piss them off since who knows what will happen to my order before I get it.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 6:00 am

Programs: w/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez; SG Silver
Originally Posted by ou81two
Anyone who eats at Outback deserves the terrible food they're served is probably more accurate.
Ditto. Used to eat there before I visited Australia. Never ate there since.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 9:07 am

Location: Minneapolis, formerly the shores of Lake Minnetonka
Programs: DL PM (and KM)
I think there's a huge difference depending on what restaurant you're at. Clearly, if you're in a restaurant staffed by college kids, I'd probably take their suggestions with a grain of salt.

If you're at a fancy place I'd be more inclined to listen to the server and discuss options. Obviously I'm not going to blindly follow the recommendation thinking the server knows what my tastes are, but you can ask questions to get an idea if you may like the dish.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BamaVol
I also despise being told "great choice".
Although it's somewhat embarrassing to admit, I love being told that.

Validation from complete strangers in positions of service - it makes my day. A very cheap thrill, at least I can say that.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 1:39 pm

Programs: 2mm+ UAL | Lifetime Titanium Marriott | Globalist Hyatt | SpireElite IHG
Originally Posted by pilotalan
At nicer restaurants, especially ones that are relatively unique, AND with an experienced server, we have had good luck asking the server to build us a meal with the appetizers and entrees that best reflect what the restaurant does best.
Often something like "if someone were to only have one chance to dine here, what items reflect what this place is and what the chefs are all about?"

You see the server's eyes light up, and they ask you questions about what you like and don't like. If the server mumbles or looks confused, then we change directions and order from the menu.

We've had some really great and unique meals that way....
I'll second this, while also contradicting, which may be confusing.

I worked as waitstaff in medium-end dining while in college, and completely echo the posts, which seem to be from people in the industry, that serves are incented to sell certain dishes, whether overstock or high margin, and the prize can be substantial. So I would take a cautious view of this tactic at restaurants of that ilk.

I have not seen quite the same at higher end restos, and I replied to comment primarily because the OP does something almost exactly like the script I use (which people that work with/for me have heard over too many business dinners) which is asking to talk to the FOH (front of house) Manager on duty, introducing myself, indicate I'm either on a business dinner or eating there to evaluate for a high end business dinner in the immediate future, and ask "if I've never eaten here before, and my coming back depends on this meal, what are you/your chef particularly proud of on the menu that you think your customers enjoy most frequently".

At a nice place, I'm willing to gamble that steering me to an entree a few dollars more isn't really going to impact as much as having a business person direct traffic & revenue there, and that 'eyes light up' the OP refers to, is the indication of whether the place is the right fit for that. Is much like going to a good sushi place, sitting at the bar, and asking a few questions, and if the place seems legit, just tell the chef to feed me omekaze and place myself in their hands. Most people *want* to do a good job and be appreciated, and giving someone who often doesn't have it the opportunity to be creative and express themselves, whether chef or server, has almost always resulted in great memorable meals, both from the food and the conversations throughout the meal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.