Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Can you depend on a server's recommendation?

Can you depend on a server's recommendation?

Old Feb 27, 2015, 12:18 pm

Programs: Statusless and proud
Restaurant manager here. Essentially what the chef requests the servers to recommend will be something that he/she got a good deal on, or something that if they don't sell it that day, will have to be thrown out soon. That's not to say it's not fresh (every city's health department has different shelf lives for various products), but if we ran sea bass on the menu the previous evening and it didn't sell as well as predicted, it might be run at a lower price the next night in order to move the product.

If you want the server's actual recommendation, ask what his/her favorite thing on the menu is AFTER having them tell you about the chef's rec or whatever it's called at that particular restaurant. If they really reiterate the chef's special, then it is likely to be very good because the server knows his/her tips ride on the suggestion often times.

Chris
Old Feb 27, 2015, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I will ask specific questions (say, how spicy is x) or ask for their preference between two dishes, or ask what the difference is between two similar differences (and their preference often comes through as they talk). I frequently ask in Indian and Thai restaurants, and get steered in the right directions. I do it far less often in cuisines I am less familiar with / standard restaurants.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 6:19 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Me I can not, because as has been mentioned tastes are different.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 12:49 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by dchristiva
Guess I'm not as cynical as others here. While I'm not naive enough to think there's not some house motivation to push a special, I've often found them to be quite good. I guess there's a difference between blindly accepting a recommendation or a special and asking a few probing questions and making a somewhat informed choice. And, if you don't like the way something sounds, by all means, don't order it just because it's the "special"!
I'm with this. Several friends are in the restaurant business and they actually tend to be proud and put a lot of effort into their "specials".

Of course you get taken for a ride once in a while, but rather that than let cynicism spoil the restaurant experience.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 11:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JerryFF
When I went to a new restaurant, or even one I'd been to before, I occasionally asked the server for suggestions. They usually didn't pan out for me, probably as much because of personal taste differences than anything else, but maybe not just that.

Recently, I have read several articles that servers are instructed what to say if asked, or even if not, because they restaurant needs to push certain dishes, either to use up leftovers, get rid of overstock, or because they got a good deal from their supplier.

Occasionally I get a god recommendation, but it is so hit-and-miss that a random request just doesn't seem worth it. The only case where it seems to work is if you go back to the same place and a server gets to know you and your tastes.

I wonder if other people have had different experiences and if so, what is their secret.
Restaurants really don't work like that. There's no screaming magic deal from a steak supplier. They're getting things from large food distribution channels. It's not like the Manager's Special part of your grocery story.

The people serving you are people. It's not like they're going to lie to your face about things. In any decent restaurant, they've eaten the food and probably dined there. Their opinions are their own. The owners don't have a lot of control about things and neither do chefs. What a server says and what the chef says are two different things. One of them is well paid, involved in many facets of the business, knows the customer really well and is immediately compensated if you're happy. The other cooks the food.

I do let them know I have a bad shellfish allergy; and I am trying to choose between X and Y. If they are paying attention, they can usually steer me in the right direction. I am also very grateful, as others have pointed out, for servers who quietly let me know not to order a particular dish.
Communicating your allergy has more to do with avoiding cross contamination than menu choice. If you're in a place with a dish like that, then you've picked the wrong place to eat. No owner or kitchen who has a clue is going to have a dish like that on a menu.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ou81two
Restaurants really don't work like that. There's no screaming magic deal from a steak supplier. They're getting things from large food distribution channels. It's not like the Manager's Special part of your grocery story.
Yes and no - when I worked as a restaurant manager, we would often get special pricing when our suppliers had a glut - usually on things like seasonal fruit and veg, occasionally they would send a small amount of a new product for us to try, not something we could use on the regular menu, but could create a special with it (things like a new type of cheese, a different cut of meat). Occasionally there would be a mis-delivery by the supplier, sending either an incorrect substitution (e.g. haddock instead of cod) or simply they loaded someone else's box on our delivery (so we got a box of something we wouldn't normally carry - it cost more for the supplier to collect and redeliver the mistake so they would tell us to keep and use the item). Rarely, the person doing the order would screw up and make a typo (e.g. instead of 12 dozen eggs, they entered 21 dozen, or if the order was 1 box of 24 items as the unit, someone would enter'24' as the number, and we would get 24 boxes instead [thankfully with things like this our supplier would normally catch it as being really odd, and double check!] ) so we would have to be creative in using up the item.

I once had a supplier double my usual standing order of cauliflower, because he got it at such a good rate, and wanted to pass the savings on (but rather than just give me the order at the lower price, he sent more cauliflower). I sent one of the junior cooks to go and make a batch of cauliflower cheese that we could put as a veggie special - the cook had clearly never made or eaten cauliflower cheese, but had asked someone else the basics, and mistranslated. She made what I lovingly call 'pre-school glue' (flour and water gloop) with some incredibly mild cheese - it was completely and utterly inedible! So I had to teach her how to actually make it (I didn't normally cook there myself!) After the minor blip, that day's vegetarian special of cauliflower cheese was actually delicious and a good option to order, yes, I had a glut of cauliflowers to get rid of, but they were all in excellent condition, and it was decently priced for the customer.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 7:50 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards Silver
I worked in a restaurant whilst I was at college and each service we were told by the management what dishes we needed to push that day. We were even told to ask the diner if they were sure when they went against our suggestion. The reason for pushing a particular dish is either because it has a higher profit margin, or more likely, they have over ordered a particular item and want get rid of it

So take my advice, treat the server's recommendation with a metaphorical large pinch of salt
Old Mar 5, 2015, 6:18 pm

At nicer restaurants, especially ones that are relatively unique, AND with an experienced server, we have had good luck asking the server to build us a meal with the appetizers and entrees that best reflect what the restaurant does best.
Often something like "if someone were to only have one chance to dine here, what items reflect what this place is and what the chefs are all about?"

You see the server's eyes light up, and they ask you questions about what you like and don't like. If the server mumbles or looks confused, then we change directions and order from the menu.

We've had some really great and unique meals that way....
Old Mar 5, 2015, 11:26 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I had a friend in college who worked at Outback. I asked him what he said when a customer asked for a recommendation. He said "I name the most expensive thing to try and get a bigger tip"
Old Mar 6, 2015, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by CMK10
I had a friend in college who worked at Outback. I asked him what he said when a customer asked for a recommendation. He said "I name the most expensive thing to try and get a bigger tip"
Anybody that asks an Outback server for a recommendation deserves that.

Mrs BamaVol has been known to ask a server how spicy a dish is - on a scale of 1-10 in case the server has a strong immunity to heat.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 8:35 am

I never ask for recommendations but I will ask for specifics
about a new dish I am interested in.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 4:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by BamaVol
Anybody that asks an Outback server for a recommendation deserves that.

Mrs BamaVol has been known to ask a server how spicy a dish is - on a scale of 1-10 in case the server has a strong immunity to heat.
Anyone who eats at Outback deserves the terrible food they're served is probably more accurate.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 2:38 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold
My wife will always take forever looking at the menu, then when she's finally ready to order, she'll ask the waiter "is the xxx any good?" at which point myself, and both our kids will roll our eyes and just try to stifle the groan coming out of our mouths. Not once has the waiter ever said "oh no, that dish is terrible, don't order it". it drives me crazy.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 3:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I go with naming a couple of dishes I'm trying to choose between - usually I ask for further details and gauge my choice by their reaction.

I do much the same with the wine list. I choose a couple of interesting (non-obvious) wines within a certain (always low) price range and then ask the wine waiter his or her opinion, or whether something else is better. Again, I can gauge what to do by what is said in the reply - ie do they know and love wine and understand the price point, or do they just want to get me to spend more, or push some plonk which obviously will be no good.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 5:26 am
Suspended

Nope.
I tell the wait staff exactly what I want and I'm not really interesting in their opinion - there's a reason why they're on minimum wage and I'm paying for the meal.
Never let the tail wag the dog and that goes for the most supercilious maitre d down to the guy checking my coat and hat.
Now,there's no need to be rude or obnoxious about it but I like to let them know from the outset - and I particularly let them know when they try to pour my own wine for me.I'll fill my own glass when I'm ready,if you don't mind.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.