Reload this Page >

Tasty snack foods you can't get at home

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tasty snack foods you can't get at home

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2015, 4:56 am

Programs: VA Platinum, SQ Silver, TK Gold, Hhonors Gold, Accor Plus Gold, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Premium
I have a similar problem. I'm living in Stockholm but miss some products I used to enjoy in Sydney, Australia (home).

Number 1 : Chicken chips. The Lays Roast Chicken flavour that can be found at an English shop here is nothing like it.

Number 2 : Chicken flavoured biscuits (a bit of a theme going on here)

Number 3 : Tim Tams (A brand of chocolate biscuits). They can be bought here in Stockholm but they cost $10 (AUD) a packet.

Number 4 : Anything alcoholic. Beer and wine sales are controlled here by a state owned monopoly. Prices (high) and range (limited) are what you would expect as a result

Number 5 : Tinned salmon (for my salmon rissoles recipe). Sweden is the home of Salmon (Lax) and it's available in just about every form - except tinned.

Number 6 : Self-raising flour. I know you can make it yourself with baking powder etc, but it's just not the same.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 9:06 am

Programs: hertz gold #1
bennenuts from france...coated peanuts in various flavours
Old Feb 25, 2015, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sydunipete

Number 3 : Tim Tams (A brand of chocolate biscuits). They can be bought here in Stockholm but they cost $10 (AUD) a packet.
Tim Tams are now available in the US. Oddly enough, they have been made by a US owned company for ages, since the Arnotts cookie company is owned by Campbells Soup (which also owns Pepperidge Farm - which now sells them in the US).
Old Feb 26, 2015, 6:09 am

Programs: Flying Blue ; Qatar Privilege Club, KrisFlyer
Originally Posted by NotSoFrequentColorado
Shrimp chips - somewhere in S.E. Asia. Or maybe Australia?
Do you mean Kroepuk? The deep fried shrimp crackers served with Indonesian and Malaysian meals? They are awesome. My mum used to buy them (raw) in a box and fry them up at home. Then when I travelled to SE Asia it was a real nostalgia hit to see them everywhere.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by Frizzy
Do you mean Kroepuk? The deep fried shrimp crackers served with Indonesian and Malaysian meals? They are awesome. My mum used to buy them (raw) in a box and fry them up at home. Then when I travelled to SE Asia it was a real nostalgia hit to see them everywhere.
The ones that you get made fresh in SE Asia, the shrimp/prawn are chopped/minced and mixed in with the dough before it is rolled, sliced and deep fried.

Originally Posted by NotSoFrequentColorado
Shrimp chips - somewhere in S.E. Asia. Or maybe Australia?
It is definitely better than anything you will find in Colorado or the east and west coast of the US.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 5:51 am
mee

Taro fish snack in Thailand -- sorta fish biltong - brought home as much as I could afford
Old Feb 27, 2015, 11:13 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by mee
Taro fish snack in Thailand -- sorta fish biltong - brought home as much as I could afford
Not sure where you are, but try this.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 3:01 pm

Chia Te Pineapple/Assorted Flavour Cakes from Taipei. One bakery, no int'l shipping beyond China. I literally had to throw out half my stuff to fill my suitcase with 3.5 giant boxes of pastry:-:

Somehow T&T supermarkets got a hold of some pineapple ones for Chinese New Year so I snatched those in Vancouver - almost had a thrombo when I saw that golden box!
Old Mar 6, 2015, 4:39 am

Programs: AF Plat a vie, EK Gold, SQ PPS
Fresh German soft pretzels partnered with a cold German beer. What is better? I also love Pret a Manger's Christmas sandwich.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
I grew up on Hostess and Drake's snack cakes. After moving south and finding only Little Debbies (nasty!) is the stores, I arranged for my MIL to ship us devil dogs every couple months. That stopped when she passed away years ago.

Drake's was purchased a couple years ago by McKee's Baking, the makers of Little Debbies. I haven't tasted the product since and hope it hasn't changed. They're still not available in the southeast as far as I know and I always look for them when travelling back home to New England.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 11:52 am

i long for tempura seaweed I only tried it in indonesia and haven't found it anywhere else (to be fair, i havnt looked to hard either hahaha)
Old Mar 6, 2015, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by telabadmanwot
i long for tempura seaweed I only tried it in indonesia and haven't found it anywhere else (to be fair, i havnt looked to hard either hahaha)
It is all over SE Asia and in many Asian supermarket or food stores in major cities in North America.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 9:18 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Oh How I miss Panipuri (Gol Gappa) from Mumbai and elsewhere in India.
The puffed up wheat deep pried discs that are filled with mung beans and then completetly filled with spicy water coccoction !
Thos of us from thereabouts will always have at least one favourite streetside vendor.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 8:45 pm

Programs: TK *G, Spirit Gold, Marriott Plat, Hilton HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, Chase SR
Australian Tim Tams
Old Mar 16, 2015, 9:13 pm

Programs: Platinum
Originally Posted by ScottC
Tim Tams are now available in the US. Oddly enough, they have been made by a US owned company for ages, since the Arnotts cookie company is owned by Campbells Soup (which also owns Pepperidge Farm - which now sells them in the US).
Where do you find them? I haven't seen them yet here in Oregon.

Any Japanese supermarket, convenience store, or train station for snacks. (Found Tim Tams in Tokyo btw)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.