Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Any Dishes You'll Automatically Order if They're on a Menu?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any Dishes You'll Automatically Order if They're on a Menu?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2015, 5:37 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Agree on Pork Belly. Scallops and eel are right up there too, as is confit duck (or anything with a gratin dauphinois). A good carpaccio (or bresaola) is hard to resist for a starter.

Otherwise, I'll generally head for spice. If there's a dosa on the menu, I don't care what time of day it is, I'm right in there.

For dessert, profiteroles, but only French style: filled with ice cream (not whipped cream) and hot chocolate sauce on the side.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 6:21 am

huevos rancheros
softshell crab
grapefruit juice
Old Feb 3, 2015, 6:54 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
VNA Flyer had some good ideas.

If on the menu, I will normally order the burrata and same for Chinese dumplings if available.I think I've also had huevos rancheros for breakfast every time I've seen it - but living in Europe that's not often.

Some of the things people have mentioned here (eggs benedict, mole, steaks, scallops) has be very nice but take some skill to prepare and so I certainly wouldn't order them no matter what. I'd be a bit picky and only order them if I'm somewhere I'm confident they'll do them decently.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 7:30 am

Salmon!
Old Feb 3, 2015, 7:30 am

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'till morning
Programs: SkyMiles
In Mexican restaurants I will almost always order carnitas.
In Cuban restaurants it’s the Lechon Asado that calls to me.

In springtime if I see pea tendrils listed on any menu, I’m sure to order those.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 7:33 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Oh, samphire as well. Love a bit of samphire.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Windows Phone 8.1; ARM; Trident/7.0; Touch; rv:11.0; IEMobile/11.0; NOKIA; Lumia 635) like Gecko)

Originally Posted by VNAFlyer
Corned beef hash for breakfast.
Specifically, the room service corned beef hash at the Cosmopolitan in Lad Vegas, very unique and delicious.

Like others, scallops, especially grilled.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Windows Phone 8.1; ARM; Trident/7.0; Touch; rv:11.0; IEMobile/11.0; NOKIA; Lumia 635) like Gecko)

Like others, scallops, especially grilled.
Mmmmm. Wrapped in bacon.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 10:27 am
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
I am a sucker for crab cakes even though I know they're bad for you (usually fried) and frequently cooked from frozen (not fresh crab by a long shot).

Still, I do love them. Really. And when you hit on a place that has GOOD ones, all the better. I am thinking of the amazing Maryland-style crab cake at The Oceanaire.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 10:36 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

In China, once a day I'd order something with eggplant. Often it was paired with chilies.

Otherwise, if a pizza place has portobello mushrooms, that's a must.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 10:40 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy SE
I always order things I can't make at home or too complicated for me (lasagnas, pizza, anything that involves baking flour, and lamb).

The thing that bugs me the most is lamb because I can never get the flavor right. Whenever I do it, it's too gamey.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 2:53 pm

how could I forget sweetbreads?
Old Feb 3, 2015, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by flipstah

The thing that bugs me the most is lamb because I can never get the flavor right. Whenever I do it, it's too gamey.
Lamb is meant to have a slightly gamey flavour: if it doesn't, there's no point and possibly something wrong.

As to dishes, if I see either Jerusalem or Globe Artichokes on the ingredient list, I can't resist.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 3:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy SE
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Lamb is meant to have a slightly gamey flavour: if it doesn't, there's no point and possibly something wrong.

As to dishes, if I see either Jerusalem or Globe Artichokes on the ingredient list, I can't resist.
Key is 'slightly'. The combination of spices leaves it at the end, which is good.

Whenever I do it, the gamey taste is overpowering and can't enjoy it. I can't cook lamb.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 3:14 pm
rje

Programs: Marriott Gold,United Silver,Delta Silver,Hhonors Diamond., SPG platinum, Priority Club Plat.
Fried calamari.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.