Discarding the top bun of a hamburger?: question for the UK folks et al

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Discarding the top bun of a hamburger?: question for the UK folks et al

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2015, 1:25 am

Originally Posted by braslvr
I totally get the low carb thing. They are my enemy too, but from all appearances, that was not the reason here.

AFAIK, the whole reason the hamburger was invented was so that it could be eaten without utensils. I've seen plenty of people cut them in half, but they are/were just plain designed to be eaten by hand. Like pizza. And spareribs. And fried chicken.
Like most people I prefer to eat my hamburger in hand, but if it gets mushy and falls apart there really isn't much else you can do
Old Jan 14, 2015, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by uk1
To those that saw Macdonalds as a novelty, us old un's had Wimpy Bars before. You knew where you were with a Wimpy. You simply had a choice. One or two. And chips or not. Tea or coffee. All these other new fangled complications were and still are unwelcome.

Quite. But Wimpy Bars had two added extras:
- cutlery; and
- dirt everywhere.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 9:10 am

Programs: SQ TPPS, Hyatt Dia, SPG Gold, Shangri-La(h) Jade
The top bun is extremely important to me. All these new fat gourmet burgers are heavy and it seems that the bottom bun hasn't been updated to support the increased load, deteriorating into a slushy mess within minutes. The sheer incompetence of the bottom bun has resulted in me resting the burger upside down on the plate as the [former] top bun has far superior structural integrity.

Either that or I'm just an incompetent burger eater.

Last edited by SIA747Megatop; Jan 14, 2015 at 9:16 am
Old Jan 14, 2015, 9:19 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Originally Posted by SIA747Megatop
The top bun is extremely important to me. All these new fat gourmet burgers are heavy and it seems that the bottom bun hasn't been updated to support the increased load, deteriorating into a slushy mess within minutes. The sheer incompetence of the bottom bun has resulted in me resting the burger upside down on the plate as the [former] top bun has far superior structural integrity.

Either that or I'm just an incompetent burger eater.
Maybe you're not fast enough?

I agree, though, particularly as someone who likes his burgers pink in the middle. The trend for brioche buns really doesn't help this matter. A nice, solid sourdough is needed. Don't they teach burger chefs physics these days?
Old Jan 14, 2015, 10:08 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Amex MR
The above poster is right on with the structural integrity. For me personally if I am eating a thick burger I will not remove any bun because that just seems strange, but I will eat it upside down as it is true, the top bun is stronger structural wise.

As for removing the bun I don't think that is a British thing, a few months back I ate a burger at 5 guys in covent garden London and I saw people eating the burger with their hands, and buns intact just like I see in the US. Didn't notice anything strange.

I know most europeans eat their pizza with a knife and fork though, which I know probably makes me stand out as an American when I eat my pizza by hand, but folding the crust in one hand which gives me away as a New York style pizza eater.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My British parents might eat a hamburger with their hands if they went to McDonalds, but would never eat a burger with their hands off a plate when there was a knife and fork available. I will judge the situation and the burger (very rare that I would order one, and it would be a veggie burger if I did) - decentish restaurant, knife and fork, pub I might use my hands if I could do so without mess.

My mother had a grilled ahi tuna 'sandwich' (in a hamburger style bun) at a restaurant in Canada last month, and removed the top bun because 'the portion sizes are enormous' and she didn't need the extra food (why eat boring bread when there were nicer things on the plate). I don't know what portions are like in Thailand now, but if they were large I can see many Brits (where portions are typically a lot smaller than in the US) doing the same.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 4:43 am

Originally Posted by stut
I agree, though, particularly as someone who likes his burgers pink in the middle. The trend for brioche buns really doesn't help this matter. A nice, solid sourdough is needed. Don't they teach burger chefs physics these days?
Agree completely that sourdough is a superb choice for a hamburger. I will confess that Jack in the Box's Sourdough Jack is one of my favorite US burgers
Old Jan 15, 2015, 5:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emma69
My mother had a grilled ahi tuna 'sandwich' (in a hamburger style bun) at a restaurant in Canada last month, and removed the top bun because 'the portion sizes are enormous' and she didn't need the extra food (why eat boring bread when there were nicer things on the plate). I don't know what portions are like in Thailand now, but if they were large I can see many Brits (where portions are typically a lot smaller than in the US) doing the same.
Absolutely right, but with American portions, most Brits would simply cut it in half, as well as remove the unwanted carbs.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dadaluma83

I know most europeans eat their pizza with a knife and fork though, which I know probably makes me stand out as an American when I eat my pizza by hand, but folding the crust in one hand which gives me away as a New York style pizza eater.
Pizzas, of course, originated in Naples and, although I haven't been there for a few years, when I last visited, I don't recall anyone eating a pizza with their hands.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 6:25 am

The George Costanza method?
Old Jan 15, 2015, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Quote:

Pizzas, of course, originated in Naples and, although I haven't been there for a few years, when I last visited, I don't recall anyone eating a pizza with their hands.
I'm in Naples frequently. I don't think I've ever even seen them slice a whole pizza. It's always fork and knife unless one wants to rip it with hands
Old Jan 15, 2015, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by VivoPerLei
I'm in Naples frequently. I don't think I've ever even seen them slice a whole pizza. It's always fork and knife unless one wants to rip it with hands
I'd personally find it quite odd if I were served a pizza in a restaurant that had been pre-sliced. A takeaway, sure thing, but not a restaurant.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by stut
Quote:

I'd personally find it quite odd if I were served a pizza in a restaurant that had been pre-sliced. A takeaway, sure thing, but not a restaurant.
Isn't that the norm in the US? I know it definitely isn't in Europe
Old Jan 15, 2015, 7:01 am

The only pizza I can remember eating in the US was in Chicago, but that was a very different style...
Old Jan 15, 2015, 8:31 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
You see done (by, er, me) in central London by people watching their carbs. They're generally not the kind of people you bump into eating hamburgers in Bangkok though.
I also discard the top bun as a tactic to reduce carbohydrate consumption when following a low-carb diet. I occasionally do it outside that diet plan, too, as a means of portion control. People sometimes ask, "Why do you throw away the bread but then eat the fries?" The answer is making choices within constraints. I don't want the calories and carbs of everything on my plate (constraint), and I prefer the taste of a small serving of fries to the extra bun (choice).

That all said, I rarely order a hamburger outside the US and Canada.

In US restaurants virtually all pizza is sliced in the kitchen before being delivered to the table. A lot of customers probably wouldn't know what to do with an unsliced pizza presented to them, except perhaps to send it back to the kitchen with an angry word to the staff about them "forgetting" to cut it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.