Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Beer bread dilemma

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2014, 10:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Beer bread dilemma

One of my Secret Santas sent me beer bread mix as part of my present. I'm going to prepare it today, but I have a dilemma... What beer do I use? I hesitate to use one of my good beers, but I don't really have "cheap" beer! If forced to choose from my good beers, do I select:
  • DuClaw's Hellrazer
  • DuClaw/Mad Fox Gridlock
  • Warsteiner Oktoberfest
Old Dec 14, 2014, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by kipper
One of my Secret Santas sent me beer bread mix as part of my present. I'm going to prepare it today, but I have a dilemma... What beer do I use? I hesitate to use one of my good beers, but I don't really have "cheap" beer! If forced to choose from my good beers, do I select:
  • DuClaw's Hellrazer
  • DuClaw/Mad Fox Gridlock
  • Warsteiner Oktoberfest
I use a beer bread mix every couple months or so. I buy Dassant in bulk off Amazon. I use smaller loaf pans and even mini-loaf/ muffin pans and get to eat it sooner rather than later. The smallest pans take 20 minutes vs. 55-60 for the full size loaf.

You are wasting the mix if you use a crap beer. Believe me, I tried. My most recent success was Founders Red Rye IPA. I didn't enjoy it as beer, but it made wonderful bread. A darker, maltier beer makes better bread. Don't be afraid to use a porter for example. I have used other pale ales with success as well. I am not familiar with your list but wouldn't hesitate to go with the Octoberfest. Based on my response, maybe you'll choose another as you know what to expect.

Last edited by BamaVol; Dec 15, 2014 at 6:52 am
Old Dec 14, 2014, 6:38 pm
Original Poster

I did use the Oktoberfest. It wasn't bad, although I can definitely see how a rye would be very good!
Old Dec 15, 2014, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I did use the Oktoberfest. It wasn't bad, although I can definitely see how a rye would be very good!
The Founders imparted a nice beery flavor and a taste of rye as well. It turns out I like rye in my bread and rye in my whiskey but not in my beer however.

I've used Fat Tire and Sweetwater 420 with good results. I went the other route once, used a can of Michelob light that someone had left in my fridge - I figured it was the only way to get rid of it without pouring it down the sink, which is a mortal sin in my religion (even beer you wouldn't drink because there are thirsty children in the 3rd world, etc. etc.). You might as well use club soda for all the flavor it adds.

You should be able to find beer bread mixes in your grocery store or on-line and it's fun to experiment. The beer is necessary because it leavens the mix, making the dough rise, but if you don't get any taste out of the beer, you really miss out on possibilities.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BamaVol
The Founders imparted a nice beery flavor and a taste of rye as well. It turns out I like rye in my bread and rye in my whiskey but not in my beer however.

I've used Fat Tire and Sweetwater 420 with good results. I went the other route once, used a can of Michelob light that someone had left in my fridge - I figured it was the only way to get rid of it without pouring it down the sink, which is a mortal sin in my religion (even beer you wouldn't drink because there are thirsty children in the 3rd world, etc. etc.). You might as well use club soda for all the flavor it adds.

You should be able to find beer bread mixes in your grocery store or on-line and it's fun to experiment. The beer is necessary because it leavens the mix, making the dough rise, but if you don't get any taste out of the beer, you really miss out on possibilities.
You said you order yours in bulk from Amazon?
Old Dec 15, 2014, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You said you order yours in bulk from Amazon?
It's been about a year and a half and I still have 2 boxes in the pantry. They still carry it but the price is ridiculous - $22.95 for 2 boxes. I'm sure I paid less for a half dozen. Heck "Larry The Cable Guy" brand beer bread mix can be purchased for as little as $3.89 a box ( this is not a recommendation ). I've switched twice now and may have to again and honestly all 3 brands I've tried have been alike - I can't remember the first 2. I'd try the baking aisle at the grocery store first - I started with a close-out brand at Food City in East Tennessee and moved to the internet when I bought the last box in the store. You might even have luck with regular bread mix, just replace the yeast with beer (this is also not a recommendation ).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.