Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Why don't they have these sherbet-ish like snacks in the U.S.?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2014, 7:43 am
Used to be 'flymanbeast'
Original Poster

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum

I am in Europe now and i must say the Popsicle industry is much more advanced . I can't get a good ice cream (or sherbet ) in the states that has a max of 90 calories like i can in Europe... am i the only one who thinks so?
Old Nov 6, 2014, 7:51 am

Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
And such a bargain!
Old Nov 6, 2014, 8:13 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Overall portions in Europe are a lot smaller and on a human size than US ones.
A visit to a supermarket might disappoint many overseas folks more prone to volumes; concepts like soda fountains are mostly unheard of.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm Calypo! Although I would be astounded if it came in under 90 calories - those things were full of sugar!
Old Nov 8, 2014, 3:08 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'
Original Poster

Why can't I buy a solero in the states?
Old Nov 8, 2014, 5:02 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Calippo (and its superior Ribena cousin) comes in at ca 100kcal.

There's been a gradual decline in sugar and salt content in a lot of food in the UK in the last few years, which is good and bad. Some of it is down to changing tastes, but some of it is a little relentless. Personally, I'd rather have less of something tasty but salty than more of something bland and salt-free - and I'd like to retain that choice!
Old Nov 8, 2014, 9:37 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Not sure where the OP lives and shops for groceries here in the US, but my local Kroger has half of an aisle full of popsicles, ice cream bars, wrapped ice cream cones, and ice cream sandwiches, in quite a variety of flavors. The ice cream truck that comes through my neighborhood each summer has more variety than the freezer in the OP's photo.

In addition to regular products, several brands with reduced fat/sugar/calorie products in the ~100 or so calorie range are readily available. Blue Bunny has no-sugar-added and/or fat-free popsicles and novelty ice creams. Skinny Cow has a whole range of 'sicles and bars. Popsicle (the brand name) sells pops, creamsicles and fudgsicles that are 100 calories each. Klondike sells Slim-a-bear pops at 100 calories. Most of these have been around for awhile, at least in my area.

Which isn't to say there aren't unique flavors to be found everywhere. Japan has a nice variety of unique popsicle and ice cream flavors.

Note that the brand shown in the OP's photo is part of Unilever brands, which owns around a couple of dozen ice cream brands worldwide, including Ben & Jerry's here in the US.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 5:03 am
Used to be 'flymanbeast'
Original Poster

You see i am only talking about kind of sherbert ish snacks which are very popular and Europe and seem to have a more natural taste then the same ones in the states. Skinny cow just does not compare to a nice Solero or the watermelon ice bar (something you can find in Israel) .
Old Nov 9, 2014, 5:25 am

I think those kind of things are usually traps. I've found they've gone to great lengths to reduce calories as those tend to be the key factor for the figure and health conscious people. But while stripping off calory-rich nutrients such as fats and proteins, the sugar content has remained the same or has even increased to make up for the loss of fats.

100 calories..fair enough..but it's not really healthy for you if it's like 20% of your daily recommended sugar intake in one very quick and small go.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 5:41 am

Originally Posted by 84fiero
Not sure where the OP lives and shops for groceries here in the US, but my local Kroger ...
And most of those are frankly full of crap.

Originally Posted by howtofreetravel
You see i am only talking about kind of sherbert ish snacks which are very popular and Europe and seem to have a more natural taste then the same ones in the states. Skinny cow just does not compare to a nice Solero or the watermelon ice bar (something you can find in Israel) .
I dont normally eat the items posted in the OP, but the newish mojito bar is quite nice. (Like a frozen sorbet, or frozen mojito) I cannot imagine it being sold in the US, however, as it is not sold to children. It has 55 calories. http://www.so-schmeckt-glueck.de/Pro...312&pid=733502
Old Nov 9, 2014, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Never mind ice cream. Why don't they have Lift (from Australia). Best soft drink ever.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 5:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
OP hasn't looked very hard in the US, I think.

Last edited by Doc Savage; Nov 9, 2014 at 5:43 pm
Old Nov 9, 2014, 10:43 pm

Eugh! Lift is vile! Give me a fresh lemon soda any day.

I cannot find the gorgeous Pistachio and Saffron 'Magnum' style ice-creams outside of Iran.. :-(
Old Nov 9, 2014, 11:00 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

I believe that this thread is more suitable of the Dining Buzz Forum.Please follow there.
Thanks...
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Nov 10, 2014, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

With Spain enjoying some of the highest rates (if not the highest rate) of childhood obesity in the world, there is now a trend for companies to set a maximum number of Kcals for their products aimed at children.
Nestlé have set this maximum at KCal 110 for their own lollies
http://www.nestle.es/10compromisos/1...tos-niños.aspx

Whilst the price of those individual ice creams and lollies in the original post is sky high, many families will buy a multipack at a local supermarket.
This means that, for a great deal of Europe, a Calipo costs around 0.5EUR rather than the 3.5EUR shown above.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.