Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

old sauterne and barsac

old sauterne and barsac

Old Oct 31, 2014, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

old sauterne and barsac

i just acquired a case of mixed old grand cru class bar sac and sauterne. (1994-86) with what do i pair it. can only eat so much FOis grau.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Foie Gras.

I would think as it's a sweet wine, you could drink in with dessert, perhaps cheesecake or a cheese board. I would avoid anything chocolate based to eat with it.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 9:16 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by slawecki
i just acquired a case of mixed old grand cru class bar sac and sauterne. (1994-86) with what do i pair it. can only eat so much FOis grau.
It doesn't need to be paired with anything - it makes a great drink on it's own as both an aparatif or a standalone dessert.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Try them together with blue cheese. I was surprised at first try some 8-10 years ago, how well sweet wite Bourdeaux married with Rouquefort and similar.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 3:31 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
If it's a really good one, don't pair it with anything,
savor it not too cold an ounce or two at a time.

It would be not be done favors by any sweet dessert.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 4:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Sauternes don't hold together well over time. You'll be lucky if it's even drinkable.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 9:11 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
Sauternes don't hold together well over time. You'll be lucky if it's even drinkable.
I disagree. I've had numerous Sauternes that were much older than the OP's (25-75 years). I've only had one that was undrinkable, and that one had a failed cork. They lose much of their sweetness, but they gain a complexity and richness. IMHO, they are optimal at 20-30 years of age - which is right where the OP's wines are now - and I agree, that the older ones are NOT best paired with sweet desserts, but things that have a contrasting flavor to them like blue cheese, or nothing at all.
Old Nov 7, 2014, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
I couldn't disagree more strongly. Sauternes (at least at the Grand Cru level) needs to be aged. I'm currently enjoying a case of halves of 1989 Coutet which is absolutely at its peak and I have the odd bottle left of Rieussec 1976 which is absolutely fabulous, completely unctuous with the most amazing palette of flavours.

I'm not so sure about pairing with cheese - perhaps a very mild Roquefort but nothing else. I would go with Creme Brulee myself. And certainly pate de foie gras, but not foie gras poelee.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 2:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1PMM; JetSmarter; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
I couldn't disagree more strongly. Sauternes (at least at the Grand Cru level) needs to be aged. I'm currently enjoying a case of halves of 1989 Coutet which is absolutely at its peak and I have the odd bottle left of Rieussec 1976 which is absolutely fabulous, completely unctuous with the most amazing palette of flavours.

I'm not so sure about pairing with cheese - perhaps a very mild Roquefort but nothing else. I would go with Creme Brulee myself. And certainly pate de foie gras, but not foie gras poelee.
+1000

Sauternes are among the most age-worthy wines in existence. Unlike red wines, they are very sturdy in adverse storage conditions, and they achieve complexities with age that you can only dream of. We had a 1990 Filhot this weekend that was out of this world, but was incredibly young for the wine. I've also had Sauternes from the 1920's that were outstanding.

As for pairings, yes, some people like Foie Gras, but others believe that the fat of the Foie Gras is not a good match for the fat of the Sauternes.

If you want to get serious about the different ways that you can pair Sauternes, I highly recommend the book "Sweet Wines" that includes some great recipes and pairing ideas.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by lhrsfo

I'm a long time lurker, but never post. I lived for a time in France, in the Bordeaux and Sauterne regions.i even helped harvest grapes there. My school bus stopped at Chteau Rieussec every day. Oh, the nostalgia brought about by your post! Sauterne, Rieussec, pt de foie gras. So glad I started reading random threads today!
Old Nov 18, 2014, 11:37 pm

Programs: AA; AC; HHonors; SPG; BA
Originally Posted by slawecki
Which chateaux and years did you acquire? Are the bottles 750ml or 375ml? Earlier this year, I had Chateau Coutet Cuvee Madame 1986 which was stunning. No need for dessert.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 4:09 am
Suspended

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1PMM; JetSmarter; HHonors Gold
1988 to 1990 are the trifecta in Sauternes. If you have anything from these three years, they should be amazing.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Visiting Bordeaux in 1992, I bought some demi-bouteilles of Chateux Coutet and Sudiraut from -89 and -90.

Keeping for yet some years also Chateay d'Yquem from the same years, one of each

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.