Restaurants with the "party of one"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Restaurants with the "party of one"

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2015, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond
Hard to remember for sure - but I remember feeling a little awkward the first year or so that I traveled when i had to dine alone. I didn't let it stop me and now it's no big thing.

I think some of the awkwardness comes our experience growing up. You always think about going to the restaurant as a family or for a special occasion. It was always with at least one other person. As a teen, you meet up with your friends at a restaurant. So you just don't think of eating at a restaurant alone.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 1:15 am

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
As a frequent business traveler, I don't have a problem with dining alone; I'm happy to take a book or tablet and read while eating. But I have experienced issues with service. Someone upthread (and a year ago) mentioned that single diners don't tip as well so they don't get good service. Maybe it's the other way around?

There's a casual dining restaurant very close to my regular hotel in France. It's not "fine dining" but it has a good variety of decent food at a fair price. And it's (by far) the closest to my hotel.

Over the course of maybe four years, I've eaten there three times as a solo diner and four/five times with a group (2 to 6 people). The difference in service is stunning.

My first time at this restaurant was as a solo diner and the service was poor. The second time was a year later with a colleague and it was so much better that I thought the first time had just been an off night. So I went back (within a week) on my own, and it was poor again. A year later with a group of six, and then a group of three, and then on my own. And there is definitely a pattern:

When I'm alone, they ignore me for a few minutes when I enter, before checking as to whether there's some slight chance I might be interested in eating. (Why else would I be here?) For a group, they are cheerfully prompt to seat us.

Alone, I wait an eternity before they take my order. For a group, they come before I've even finished helping my non-French-speaking friends with the menu.

Alone, I get the main meal and 15 minutes later have to ask about my soda or wine, which then takes another 10 minutes to arrive. For a group, they manage to bring all the meals and beverages at the same time.

Alone, they never come back to ask whether I want dessert or coffee when I've finished my meal. With a group, they were quick to ask what else we would like.

My French is just as mediocre when I'm alone as when I'm with friends (and in the group cases, most of my dining companions spoke no French) so it's not a case of language snobbery. On my own I usually eat a bit early so it's not overly busy. France is not a tipping culture so it shouldn't be fear of a small tip. I can only guess that the waitstaff find me awkward and avoid/ignore me. So I won't be going back as a solo diner. Their loss.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 2:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by RadioGirl
As a frequent business traveler, I don't have a problem with dining alone; I'm happy to take a book or tablet and read while eating. But I have experienced issues with service. Someone upthread (and a year ago) mentioned that single diners don't tip as well so they don't get good service. Maybe it's the other way around?

There's a casual dining restaurant very close to my regular hotel in France. It's not "fine dining" but it has a good variety of decent food at a fair price. And it's (by far) the closest to my hotel.

Over the course of maybe four years, I've eaten there three times as a solo diner and four/five times with a group (2 to 6 people). The difference in service is stunning.

My first time at this restaurant was as a solo diner and the service was poor. The second time was a year later with a colleague and it was so much better that I thought the first time had just been an off night. So I went back (within a week) on my own, and it was poor again. A year later with a group of six, and then a group of three, and then on my own. And there is definitely a pattern:

When I'm alone, they ignore me for a few minutes when I enter, before checking as to whether there's some slight chance I might be interested in eating. (Why else would I be here?) For a group, they are cheerfully prompt to seat us.

Alone, I wait an eternity before they take my order. For a group, they come before I've even finished helping my non-French-speaking friends with the menu.

Alone, I get the main meal and 15 minutes later have to ask about my soda or wine, which then takes another 10 minutes to arrive. For a group, they manage to bring all the meals and beverages at the same time.

Alone, they never come back to ask whether I want dessert or coffee when I've finished my meal. With a group, they were quick to ask what else we would like.

My French is just as mediocre when I'm alone as when I'm with friends (and in the group cases, most of my dining companions spoke no French) so it's not a case of language snobbery. On my own I usually eat a bit early so it's not overly busy. France is not a tipping culture so it shouldn't be fear of a small tip. I can only guess that the waitstaff find me awkward and avoid/ignore me. So I won't be going back as a solo diner. Their loss.
Interesting. I had assumed that the slight feeling of hostility was down to the fact that the takings from a table of one will be half, probably less than half, those from a table of two (and, in tipping countries, the tip likewise). But there's no extra added in France and I'm confident that the waitstaff don't care about the owner's takings, so that's no explanation. Perhaps it's simply because a solo diner is beyond the imagination of that particular group of staff (it can't be a French thing as solo dining is probably more common there than in most cultures - think of the iconic Gourmand or even the Michelin inspector of the popular imagination).
Old Sep 4, 2015, 2:21 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by MaxBuck
This thread leaves me scratching my head a bit. I eat alone in restaurants very frequently, and I don't recall ever having an uncomfortable experience in doing so. Often I eat at the bar, but by no means always. Service has never been an issue in the least. I must be lucky!
I've never noticed any issues either and eat alone with some regularity. I've not taken offense to the "just one?" response as I normally assume they're just confirming that I'm not expecting someone to join me. Now, the poster upthread who had the staff respond with the "that's so sad" is uncalled for.

I do have a friend who refuses to eat alone, and travels a lot. He feels awkward about it and I've never been able to convince him otherwise. So he always gets takeout or something when traveling alone.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 6:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by broenor
My leisure travel is mainly alone. I've eaten a lot alone, and usually it doesn't bother me. I have never experienced that the restaurant staff somehow feels akward dealing with me dining alone. I normaly just ask for "table for one". I'm fine eating at the bar and sometimes prefer it.

I usually bring a book to read in. Either a novel or the guide book for the city I'm visiting. Then I can use the dinner to plan for what to see/to do the next day and look at maps to plan the best route/order to visit the places I want to see.
I also dine alone quite often, and have also never experienced any semblance of awkwardness (not that I can recall, anyway). I usually occupy myself with my phone, and when traveling like to chat up fellow diners if the circumstances allow (i.e. at a hotel breakfast buffet, or sitting very close together in a restaurant). Have met some very interesting people this way.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Why do they ask "how may I help you?" Do they ever ask when there are multiple people walking in? What do you think I walked in for? Maybe I am trying to mail a package and just came into the wrong store.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by RadioGirl
Maybe they're offended that you're ordering a soda rather than wine with dinner? This is France, afterall.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by milepig
Maybe they're offended that you're ordering a soda rather than wine with dinner? This is France, afterall.
I doubt that's it. With the ever-more-draconian DWI laws in place in France these days, this summer we saw many French nationals drinking soft drinks at dinner - even when at white-tablecloth restaurants. Surprised the heck out of me.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by MaxBuck
I doubt that's it. With the ever-more-draconian DWI laws in place in France these days, this summer we saw many French nationals drinking soft drinks at dinner - even when at white-tablecloth restaurants. Surprised the heck out of me.
Ah - but were they drinking "soda" or other non-alcoholic alternatives? I find the idea of a mineral water completely expected with dinner, but soda? Never for anyone over the age of 16.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by milepig
Ah - but were they drinking "soda" or other non-alcoholic alternatives? I find the idea of a mineral water completely expected with dinner, but soda? Never for anyone over the age of 16.
So far as I'm aware, both Coca-Cola and "Coke Light" (as the French call Diet Coke) qualify as soda. So yes, soda, consumed by persons well over the age of 16.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.