Wiki Posts
Search

Anybody else a [quality] coffee nut?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2014, 6:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: Enough

I often read FT and see folks admiring Starbucks, Illy, etc., and I get very sad. Those are not quality coffees. I am a home roaster, use to Terroir coffees, and only drink coffee from fresh beans. I treat coffee just as well as I treat my points hobby (and am active in a coffee forum to that effect!)

Anybody else?

Last edited by durberville; Oct 17, 2014 at 6:38 am
Old Oct 17, 2014, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
I guess I'm in a differrent category.

I don't roast or grind beans, but I hate awful coffee. I will not drink gas station, hotel or most restaurant coffee. I will not drink what is provided free by any of my employers. I will drink Starbucks. I prefer coffee from independent coffee shops. I have a Keurig in my office and fill my own k-cups.

So, I hate bad coffee but don't need to drink the best.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 6:39 am

Programs: DL; MileagePlus; other airlines

Yes, absolutely. We buy Grumpy coffee, roasted here in Brooklyn and have a grinder and manual espresso machine from 1976 at home (Olympia Cremina).
Old Oct 17, 2014, 6:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: Enough
Originally Posted by kvolvo
Yes, absolutely. We buy Grumpy coffee, roasted here in Brooklyn and have a grinder and manual espresso machine from 1976 at home (Olympia Cremina).
I had a Rocket and a Mazzer Mini ETL. The Rocket died, so I replaced that with a cheaper, though honestly, higher quality Breville Dual Boiler (the one good thing Breville makes...), and swapped the Mazzer Mini ETL with a Vario. The Vario, though more plastic, produces a far higher quality grind with more precision.

Also using a Behmor roaster, but will be swapping that for a Hottop this holiday season.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 7:46 am

I bought some Jamaican Blue (Flamstead Estate) awhile back just because I have always heard such great things and wanted to try. I was fully prepared to think, meh, not worth the price - but it absolutely blew me away. There is variety in Jamaican Blue, however, and I've since bought Clifton Mount Estate and didn't care for it.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 8:01 am

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
My favorite is Beantrees Coffee -- I've experimented with many different brands and varieties and to me their coffee is the best. All organic and a good selection of roasts and a few excellent flavored choices. Best French Roast I've ever had. All varieties are available whole-bean and some are also offered pre-ground, and shipping is free if you order 5 bags or more. Reminds me that I need to place another order soon; I can't risk running out!
Old Oct 17, 2014, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm with BamaVol. I like good coffee but am not a connoisseur. I generally won't drink "coffee" (that is, brown water) from fast food places, Dunkin Donuts, or hotel lounges unless I have no choice. Starbucks is fine. Peet's is one of my favorites. I also like the usual suspects - Intelligentsia and Metropolis in Chicago, Grumpy and Toby's Estate in NYC, etc.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm sort of all over the place on this. Growing up in Portland, I was started on good (but not great) coffee by middle school. I went through a period of absolutely hating Starbucks, but then later came around when I realized that there is consistency in Starbucks that just doesn't exist with a lot of the little independent places. Starbucks serves its purpose there, particularly when I'm in the middle of rural Ohio and am looking for a palatable cup of coffee.

I'm think a lot of the specialty roasters are producing coffees that are getting more praise than they deserve. I despised Blue Bottle when I lived in San Francisco, which seemed to be riding on its hipster credentials and self-created lines. Now that I'm in Chicago, Intelligentsia is fine (I'm drinking a cup of it as I write this), but I sometimes find the beans to be a bit too under roasted. The small independent coffee shop across the street from me roasts their own beans, and they produce a nice cup in my home coffee maker.

I guess I've gone from being very particular about my coffee, to being much less so as I've grown older. I won't drink swill (and that includes pretty much everything that comes out of one of the many varieties of single cup automatic machines that are out there), but I'm also not going to wait in line for coffee.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 12:04 pm

Programs: 2015 kettle

Dunkin Donuts! Hate Starbucks.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

thoughts on Antica Tostatura Triestina ?
Old Oct 18, 2014, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mickeydfly13
Dunkin Donuts! Hate Starbucks.
Dunkin definitely qualifies as dishwater.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rjque
Dunkin definitely qualifies as dishwater.
Agreed a million percent. At least Starbucks has taste.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
I avoid bad coffee - anything by Nestle or similar. My coffee at home is better than average but I long for affordable single estate blue mountaun coffee. I had some in the US, it was smooth as silk and the best coffee I've ever drunk.

In terms of Starbucks and Costa Coffee et al - they're an average, middle of the road mass produced coffee vendor. Their coffee isn't bad, it just isn't very good either.

At the moment I am drinking Lavazza and hating it. Next up is Taylor of Harrogate Columbian blend for cafetiere.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 10:50 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Westjet Rewards
I appreciate quality over quantity as I only drink a cup or two in the morning, max. My hardware is a Technivorm Moccamaster drip machine and Baratza Virtuoso bur grinder.

I've been tempted to try home roasting but didn't feel like breaking multiple hot air popcorn poppers. Sometimes I buy beans from a local independent roaster. Until recently I was ordering Kona beans from the Big Island but shipping to Canada has skyrocketed. I switched to mail order from Cafe Volcanik and have some Jamaican Blue Mountain beans on the way to try for the first time....however they aren't single estate.

In terms of coffee chains, I accumulate gift cards from Sbux, Tim Horton's and Second Cup because they are the easy gift for many people but I'm not crazy about any of the chains. The cards get used up on road trips and airport stops. Peet's I've tried and just thought was okay.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 9:51 am

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
I am currently in love with Lavazza crema e gusto 'cooked' with my moka.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.