Wiki Posts
Search

Food Trends On Their Way Out

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2014, 10:01 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold; LEGO VIP, Amex Platinum, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by LapLap
Dadaluma83,
Another factor is the way food is prepared instantly. We've been eating wheat for centuries, but we've been eating bread that has had a chance to ferment over a period of time. Now with the chorleywood process and other methods for making and then refining wheat into food quickly wheat just isn't broken down in the same way. This isn't universal, but the gluten in a traditional sourdough loaf seems to have less of a negative effect on many of those who have a gluten intolerance than a standard white, sliced wonderloaf.
I read recently that old-fashioned made breads may actually be edible by the gluten intolerant - the gluten is broken down over time as the bread rises and rests. I recently tried some sour dough bread at a local restaurant, and found that I can actually tolerate it quite well. As far as I know, there's no way to make sour dough bread in a quick, industrial way that skips the process you think is how bread is made.

For me, experiments are on-going to see if this is a real result, or just my wishful thinking - gosh that bread was good!

http://kuow.org/post/live-free-eat-g...ins-washington

Last edited by CRAZ8; Sep 26, 2014 at 10:03 pm Reason: Add link to relevant site
Old Sep 27, 2014, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by Dadaluma83
So for something we have been eating for thousands of years, how come just in the last few years the topics of gluten intolerance and peanut allergies have come up and become such a huge deal?
the problems (allergies/intolerance) were always there. we are just now able to recognize what is causing some of them.

on the flip side, the ability to digest cow milk is a relatively recent mutation that spread rapidly through proto-european populations.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 1:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by crabbing
on the flip side, the ability to digest cow milk is a relatively recent mutation that spread rapidly through proto-european populations.
Except this comment doesn't really mean anything.
Milk is widely marketed and consumed throughout Japan, the relatively recent mutation cited did not affect the people in this area.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1234085
When it comes to milk intolerance environmental factors play a more important role than genetic factors.

The ability to digest seaweed is a relatively recent mutation also.
http://www.nature.com/news/2010/1004...10.169.html#B1

Last edited by LapLap; Sep 28, 2014 at 1:24 am
Old Sep 28, 2014, 2:34 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

It looks as if we veered a bit from the original topic - "Food Trends On Their Way Out" and started discussions about gluten-free, allergies, etc.

Let's stay on-topic and anyone is invited to start a separate thread on those other topics.

iluv2fly
Moderator, DiningBuzz
Old Sep 30, 2014, 1:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Cupcakes have had their run. Wonuts are in, at least for a few months before they follow the same path.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 4:58 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Tell us more about wonuts. Here in London we sort of briefly had cronuts, but were a bit sickly for most people's tastes.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 7:19 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
I hope the banh mi trend is on its way out, simply because I love banh mi sandwiches and have eaten far too many "banh mi" that bear nothing more than visual resemblance to real banh mi sandwiches.

I'll also be happy when the overly-hopped beer trend subsides

On the flip side, trends I love:
* Charcuterie -- so many fantastic artisanal meats available these days
* Organic produce -- I'm not militant (I probably couldn't name more than 6 of the dirty dozen), but I appreciate being able to buy organic and not pay $$$ more than conventionally grown produce
* Kale -- I don't care what you say, I think it tastes great
* Craft beer! (Do I need to explain?)
Old Sep 30, 2014, 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Tell us more about wonuts. Here in London we sort of briefly had cronuts, but were a bit sickly for most people's tastes.
I found the appeal of cronuts a complete mystery.

I actually had to look up "wonut"--waffle/donut for the equally confused. All the associated photos I found looked very appealing!
Old Oct 1, 2014, 12:08 am

Originally Posted by exilencfc
And can people please stop putting mushrooms in everything.
I certainly hope so.

Can they also please stop putting "aioli" on everything? (This includes all forms, especially mayo mixed with...mayo.) At the very least, can they stop putting it on sandwiches that already have other condiments that adequately moisten the bread? (Barbecue sauce...pesto...vinaigrette...)
Old Oct 1, 2014, 2:51 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Originally Posted by fwoomp
I certainly hope so.

Can they also please stop putting "aioli" on everything? (This includes all forms, especially mayo mixed with...mayo.) At the very least, can they stop putting it on sandwiches that already have other condiments that adequately moisten the bread? (Barbecue sauce...pesto...vinaigrette...)
Actually, can they stop putting mayonnaise, in all its forms, on everything?

Sadly, can't see that one disappearing...
Old Oct 1, 2014, 4:23 am

Last time we had a similar thread (can't find it), somebody mentioned foam. I actually like foam, so hope it doesn't go away. Also like tasting menus, pop-up dinners, and salsify, which I'm seeing more and more. I could do with less celeriac and quinoa

Not a food trend but a dining trend I wish would go away - tipping.

Found the thread! Can't believe it's been over six years...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/dinin...food-fads.html

Last edited by VivoPerLei; Oct 1, 2014 at 8:34 am
Old Oct 1, 2014, 11:17 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by stut
Actually, can they stop putting mayonnaise, in all its forms, on everything?

Sadly, can't see that one disappearing...
Haven't really noticed it here in NY, but in Northeast Asia...

Agreed nonetheless.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by chgoeditor
I'll also be happy when the overly-hopped beer trend subsides
MrDV is in violent agreement on that point. He picked up a Houblon Chouffe IPA Tripel by mistake and found it undrinkable.

The Duvel Tripel Hop is near his limit for hops.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 2:45 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by fwoomp
I certainly hope so.

Good call. Aioli was big in London about 5 years ago, but luckily has dwindled significantly. I feel like you're more likely to find it nowadays in smaller, regional cities.

I would however like to see more pesto. It's one of my favourite things on earth, but I try to avoid pasta and so would like to see it on other things.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 11:29 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by dolcevita
MrDV is in violent agreement on that point. He picked up a Houblon Chouffe IPA Tripel by mistake and found it undrinkable.

The Duvel Tripel Hop is near his limit for hops.
The Chouffe IPA Tripel and Lagunitas Secret Undercover Shutdown are two of the only uber-hoppy beers that I'll drink by choice. If I knew more about specific varieties of hops, I'd probably understand why I like them but not others, but I don't.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.