Food Trends On Their Way Out

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2014, 10:25 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
I wonder if they are still popular in the Middle East.
Desserts in general are huge in the Middle East (particularly in Qatar). I remember cupcakes featuring heavily in the best Dubai malls, and a lot of the desserts eaten in the swanky cafes on the Pearl in Qatar seem to be quite cupcakeish.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 10:30 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
I hope that gourmet burgers start hitting the exit button soon. I love a good burger, but it seems to me that the price keeps on escalating without any discernible increase in quality. It's still a burger and, agreed, for Heaven's sake, let's lose the brioche buns.
I think we might have hit "peak burger" in the UK in the last 6 months or so. I feel like the banh mi is still on its way in, so that would be quite a welcome move if it replaced the hamburger.

The big trend at the moment is potentially bubbletea - It's been imported to Europe in the last year or so (having been previously only in chinatowns) and for some odd reason is taking the place by storm. We could really do with some decent Mexican food too.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This BBC article on the bubble tea phenomenon in Britain was published quite recently

The four-year spread of bubble tea across the UK

The intriguing part of the story for me is the photograph showing a boba tea drinking competition in Germany. Never seen anything like the rainbow striped little balls in the competitors' tea.

Anyone know what they are?

Edit - also has it's own Dining Buzz thread here. Been around for quite some time and still picking up steam. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/dinin...ubble-tea.html

Last edited by LapLap; Sep 23, 2014 at 11:25 am
Old Sep 23, 2014, 12:33 pm

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by LapLap
This BBC article on the bubble tea phenomenon in Britain was published quite recently

The four-year spread of bubble tea across the UK

The intriguing part of the story for me is the photograph showing a boba tea drinking competition in Germany. Never seen anything like the rainbow striped little balls in the competitors' tea.

Anyone know what they are?

Edit - also has it's own Dining Buzz thread here. Been around for quite some time and still picking up steam. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/dinin...ubble-tea.html

i'd say they hit the USA around turn of millenium.... 2000 and still doing decent 14 years later
Old Sep 23, 2014, 1:14 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
I keep hoping that it's vegetables.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 2:22 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by KevinDTW
"Gourmet" cupcakes are always disappointing to me -- they look great but are ultimately just unremarkable yellow/chocolate cake buried under an inch or two of tooth-achingly sweet frosting. And the prices are absurd; usually $4 or more per cupcake.
I feel the same about cupcakes. For the money I'd rather have a slice of cake or pie. The bigger form factor of a cake or pie allows for flavors to be combined in more ways than simply two inches of colorful frosting heaped atop dull cake.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by TH310
Truffle oil.
Couldn't agree more.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by stut
If cupcakes are going, can they please take brioche burger buns with them?
Yes! ^

They're far too rich to be using to make a burger.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 8:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Anything containing kale.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 8:34 pm
was thetravelingRedhead

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Silver Premier
I 100% agree with the cupcakes. Expensive..

I hope Froyo doesnt die out. I feel the market is over saturated though

Those 5 minute pizza places are pretty damn good for the time it too to make them.

And i 100% agree with slapping organic, gourmet, etc on something and then jacking up the price w/o a quality increase. like why...
Old Sep 23, 2014, 8:55 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by cblaisd
I keep hoping that it's vegetables.
^
Old Sep 23, 2014, 9:36 pm

Programs: AA
Quinoa you are no longer welcome
Old Sep 23, 2014, 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Cupcake shops always struck me as a losing proposition. The made in front of you pizza and serve your own yogurt on the other hand seem like winners to me as long as the market doesn't become over saturated. People like to feel in control of their food choices and these two experiences offer that feeling.
For some reason, I found the gourmet cupcake trend incredibly irritating. I won't mourn its passing.

I wouldn't be surprised if the fro-yo market thins out substantially. There was a big fro-yo trend in the nineties, too, but then all of those places just disappeared.

I'd bet on the pizza places--customization is hot right now, pizza never goes out of style, and it's a lot easier than 6 people with different dislikes trying to figure out what toppings are mutually acceptable.

Yes, I agree that brioche (and any big, poofy sandwich buns, for that matter) can't go away soon enough.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by theshaun
Quinoa you are no longer welcome
^^^^
Old Sep 23, 2014, 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by FinalCallDXB
I would add to the list of fads that I wish would die out; designer gluten free products (and those that consume them for no clear medical reason), which I hope have peaked and are on a downward trajectory.
I would go beyond that, and wish for an end to the demonization of specific ingredients: gluten! Sugar! Dairy! Fat! Baaaaaaaaaaad! (We all keep waiting for it to come around to vegetables, but somehow it never does.)

I have found one upside to the anti-gluten trend--increased marketing of hard cider in the U.S., because unlike beer, it's gluten-free! (And yes, it is--often prominently--labeled as such.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.