Wiki Posts
Search

Traveling to buy wine

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2014, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, MM
Traveling to buy wine

A few years ago we fell in love with South African wines while there and brought back 2 cases, fully expecting to pay duty on them. The US customs site says duty will be 3%. They waived us through customs without paying any duty.

Last week we went to the Barossa and Mclaren Vale wine regions, and bought 4 cases, again expecting to pay 3% duty. We were told that the amount we paid was irrelevant, and were charged 23 cents per bottle for 46 bottles (2 can come in duty free). With a small service charge, we paid about $15.00 duty on 46 bottles of Australian wine.

Anyone ever been charged the 3%?
Old Sep 11, 2014, 10:08 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by FC flyer
A few years ago we fell in love with South African wines while there and brought back 2 cases, fully expecting to pay duty on them. The US customs site says duty will be 3%. They waived us through customs without paying any duty.

Last week we went to the Barossa and Mclaren Vale wine regions, and bought 4 cases, again expecting to pay 3% duty. We were told that the amount we paid was irrelevant, and were charged 23 cents per bottle for 46 bottles (2 can come in duty free). With a small service charge, we paid about $15.00 duty on 46 bottles of Australian wine.

Never been charged 3% here. I don't think they ever really bother when traveling via air since you can't ever bring that much in anyway. Might be different thought if you were bringing in 12 bottles of 1864 Madeira at $1200+ per bottle.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 10:30 am
Original Poster

We had receipts ready to show the value of what we bought, and we didn't buy cheap wines. Didn't want to see the receipts. Charge was only the 23 cents per bottle.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 11:44 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1MM Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold
Traveling to buy wine

Customs generally doesn't care that much about legal items that are clearly for personal consumption. If they thought you were an importer then you'd likely get dinged.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

So what do you suppose is the most we can bring in? 2 cases were okay. 4 cost us about $15. We can check 6 for free. Hmmmm
Old Sep 11, 2014, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
I've never brought more than a case, but I would say with 6, you still look too small time to qualify as an importer in their eyes. I would probably keep to recent vintages and keep recipts handy.

For the record, I have never be charged duty on any alcoholic beverage I've brought back home from outside the US>
Old Sep 11, 2014, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Traveling to buy wine

Usually they just say "I see you had a good trip" and pass me through without charging.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by CMHFlyerOH
Never been charged 3% here. I don't think they ever really bother when traveling via air since you can't ever bring that much in anyway. Might be different thought if you were bringing in 12 bottles of 1864 Madeira at $1200+ per bottle.
You are mixing the personal exemption for total imports limit with the alcohol in excess of 1L limit. Not declaring (my $ value) a case of that Madeira could result in a hefty fine and forfeiture. Declaring a case of "whatever wine" won't.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 9:27 pm

Programs: Ex-5C club, Skymiles Gold
Traveling to buy wine

How are you transporting the wine? Are there any great new wine suitcases out there?
Old Sep 12, 2014, 7:16 am
Original Poster

You can get wine shipping boxes almost anywhere. In SA, we got them in wine stores. In Australia they sell them at the post office. We also buy wine online and it comes in sturdy packing boxes. When we are traveling to buy wine, we take strong empty ones with us so we don't have to keep buying new ones. They are sturdy enough to check the wine without issue. A case of wine is below the weight limit of almost all airlines for checked bags.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 5:55 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by FC flyer

Wow, we've never brought back that much--but we have ordered that much before (Margaret River, Australia). How did you get that back to the USA on an airline?

We also love South Africa wine, but the shipping charges were so outrageous that we didn't bother. We now have a wine suitcase that holds 6 bottles, and we bring bottles to drink with us when we travel and then use it if we find wines to purchase--and never declare. (Never had any issue, but then it's just 6 bottles.)

We now tend to check with our local wholesaler to see if they carry any of the wines we otherwise might buy when abroad--occasionally, they do. A few times, they've even been willing to order some wines we particularly enjoy (South African) and allow us first crack at them, selling the rest as usual. It's a nice arrangement that saves us a lot of hassle.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by bhrubin
Wow, we've never brought back that much--but we have ordered that much before (Margaret River, Australia). How did you get that back to the USA on an airline?
As a *G, you'd have your suitcase plus 2 cases of wine as your 3 bags, all free. If there are 2 of you, you'd have 2 suitcases + 4 cases, or 1 suitcase + 5 cases.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 11:16 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
As a *G, you'd have your suitcase plus 2 cases of wine as your 3 bags, all free. If there are 2 of you, you'd have 2 suitcases + 4 cases, or 1 suitcase + 5 cases.
I guess we've just never liked the idea of checking a package of wine, assuming the wine wouldn't survive the trip--with airline baggage handlers being less than careful on too many occasions. We are returning to South Africa in January, so maybe we might try again...but again I would be apprehensive to purchase wine and then check it through the commercial airlines. I think it's great that you've done so without incident, though!
Old Sep 14, 2014, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

With wine boxes, checking the boxes is not an issue. We worried what it would be like to have to pay duty, but the process was simple. Next time, it will be 6 cases and carry luggage.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
What do you write on your Customs Form when entering the US?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.